Directional Delete

This is a vital feature that is standard on most email clients, particularly Apple Mail.

When you delete an email from the incoming list, it should move to the next newest email (up the list from bottom to top). That does not happen with eM Client.

What SHOULD happen when deleting is to move the selection to the next message above the deleted message.

Surprisingly, it works in the Junk Email folder. Not sure why it acts differently in the main incoming mail folder.

I saw feedback from an eM Client representative who had no idea what directional delete is. I would kindly ask that you guys research how it works in Apple Mail and other clients and then consider implementing it in your own.

miércoles 03 mayo 2023 :: 1800hrs (UTC +0100)

I actually had not noticed what happens when a message is deleted because as all my messages are filtered on the mail server and arrive in particular folders they are rarely deleted, however, I trial deleted a selection and can confirm for me that on delete the focus is moved to the next new unread message in the folder/mailbox.

Are you absolutely certain it was an eMC representative? The majority of posts on this Forum are from “users” who give their time freely to try to help others.

It is news to me, if that is what you are suggesting, that Apple Mail in particular, is the “De facto” standard for email.

skybat

ÂĄLos mejores deseos desde Puerto BanĂșs y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemån
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

If your incoming email is listed in DESCENDING order, whereas the newest messages are at the top and the oldest at the bottom

As I read from the bottom up (oldest first) and delete email, it should move upwards to the next newest message.

I have already communicated with Bruce from eM Client and he realizes that the directionality does not work like Apple Mail and suggested I re-arrange the message list so the newest messages are on the bottom and then the delete will work properly.

So, that tells me eM Client is not interested in fixing the problem they don’t see as broken.

As far as whether I am sure an actual eM Client representative responded to me, here is the company response from a review that I posted

“As for directional delete - I am not sure what you mean, there is a delete button in the message list that you can use, you don’t need to just use the delete key. If you could spare the time, we’d appreciate the feature request described with more details or example from another app sent to [email protected]”

All the developers have to do is look at Apple Mail and the option that they give you in settings to change direction when deleting a message. You can go up or you can go down.

There have been complaints that I have read in forums that this option is missing in eM Client and I am surprised the company hasn’t addressed this. It’s a pretty common option found in most other competing clients.

By the way, this was requested back in 2013. Nearly 10 years later it’s obviously not something the developer is considering

miércoles 03 mayo 2023 :: 2028hrs (UTC +0100)

I note all that you say and importantly what you do not; this aside I do not propose to be drawn into a debate where I can only express an opinion as I am not able to, and can not make decisions concerning the future development of eMC.
I am a realist and actually “have a life”, happen to be, along with very many thousands of users, extremely happy with eMC.
From your comments you appear to believe that changes should be made to eMC to accommodate and match features you perceive to be superior in Apple Mail, why?
I leave you with this thought.

skybat

ÂĄLos mejores deseos desde Valencia y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

3 Likes

I am not getting the overly dramatic gist of your message.

This is a feature request forum. No?

The feature is being requested because it’s one of Apple Mail’s (and other clients’) best attributes. You have the choice of which way the message deletes.

It’s a simple but necessary feature.

I don’t know what is with the comments about being a “realist” or “having a life” have anything to do with this request. It has nothing to do with being unhappy or happy with eMC. For the record, eMC is a great client and I am considering purchasing it which will put me back about $205 for two computers with lifetime upgrades.

Obviously, from the other thread links I provided in my reply above, this is not the first time this feature has been requested and it seems like users want it.

However, given the fact that the requests date back to 2014 and the feature has yet to be added, gives me the impression the developer is not interested in adding it or has been unsuccessful in implementing a function readily available in other clients.

Maybe it’s a translation issue that has me scratching my head about your reply. Really, it’s a simple request for a feature that is standard on most all email clients but for some reason, has been overlooked on eM Client.

As I read from the bottom up (oldest first) and delete email, it should move upwards to the next newest message.

So when you say “you want eM Client to move upwards to the next newest message”, do you mean just the (next newest unread) message or the new dated read messages as well ?

Given the fact that the requests date back to 2014 and the feature has yet to be added, gives me the impression the developer is not interested in adding it or has been unsuccessful in implementing a function readily available in other clients.

Probably still not enough forum peeps out there yet who wanted this feature yet to warrant programming it. Or still too many other priorities.

Ps Most peeps I know who use reverse date order in eM Client just use “either the up arrow key” or “click the mouse” on whatever messages they want to read going up the list of emails.

3 Likes

Next unread message (which would be the newer unread message)

And, while those methods of moving through and deleting mail certainly work, I would bet that anyone coming from Apple Mail and the other numerous clients that feature directional delete most likey finds eM Client more frustrating to navigate.

Listen, if it’s not a priority for the developer, so be it. However, this is a standard feature for many email clients and its omission here is disappointing.

jueves 04 mayo 2023 :: 0912hrs (UTC +0100)

OK, I see, or I think I do, I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong, you have an understanding/comprehension issue with English; let me know and I will provide comment in your language of choice. Personally I grew up tri-lingual, Portuguese mother, British father, Spanish speaking house staff, I have since become fluent in French & German - my company has native speakers in Spanish, Catalan, Basque, English, Portuguese, French, German, Italian, Greek, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Polish, Lithuanian, Russian, Romanian, Serbo-Croat, Korean, Arabic, Mandarin, Chinese - so perhaps I can help.

I really do not know why you refer to Apple Mail as a source, do have an association with Cupertino?
+++++ +++++ +++++ +++++
Sorry I can not continue this at the moment I have to AVE to Madrid to fly to Miami.
Maybe I will catch up with you later, I am beginning to enjoy this thread.

skybat

ÂĄLos mejores deseos desde Miami y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

1 Like