Windows 11 update

I’m confused by all this back and forth. Windows updates every week, so it manages a shutdown then.

I did not have this constant crashing on my Windows 10 machine. I have it on a fresh-as-a-daisy Windows 11 machine.

Are you saying I should just live with it? Because it is very counterproductive, like the balloon notifications of meetings hours after the meetings occurred. (Doesn’t happen in CalenGoo, which is syncing to the same Google calendar).

That is because there is a bug in the Windows 11 OS, specifically the UI automation. You may be able to bypass that part of the OS by running eM Client in Windows 8 compatibility mode. It is not guaranteed, but may allow you to use eM Client until Microsoft can fix the issue.

1 Like

it needs to be up 24/7.

I don’t think EMC will work properly running 24/7. It does not need to be running when you are asleep. When you leave your office or computer, shut it down. If you do that, there will be less problems. Or, you can just complain and have problems. Now, if it was shut down, and windows rebooted because of monthly (not weekly), updates, then it wouldn’t screw things up because your programs were open.

You will also have fewer problems if you manage the Windows reboots yourself, that way you can be sure you’ve shut down all your programs and then reboot Windows when it needs to install updates on a monthly basis. By the way, it does the updates on the second Tuesday of each month, late morning Seattle Washington USA time.

So, basically you are suggesting that the best solution to the constant crashes in emClient is to not use it?

BTW emClient is a destop product, it provides notifications of tasks and events. If it is not running, it cannot do that.

1 Like

Thanks Gary. I’ll try that. Since I have an unstable set up anyway, I’m happy to beta test 9.

Please help me to understand your use case.

1. Closing the program to reboot for windows updates causes a problem because ???
  2. If you have an office you can’t close the program when you leave and then open it in the morning because ??
  3. If you are at home, you can’t close the program at night and open it in the morning because ???

You see, I don’t understand your use case that creates a problem.
I do not understand why any of these 3 scenarios I do understand can possibly equate to simply not using the program.

Could you explain why? This comment reminded me of when I worked in East Africa in a continuous production environment. A machine would ocasionally stop suddenly. When I asked an operator what happened, the response was often “I think it needs a rest, bwana”.

1 Like

Perhaps some background is useful. I’ve been supporting over 200 computers mostly used in business for over 30 years, so I have a lot of data points. My computers are usually good hardware, but sometimes they act flakey. These are almost always belonging to people who do not close their programs at the end of the day before leaving work. Often people can “get away” with this behavior, just as often people can speed through residential zones and not hit someone or get a ticket, but with enough data points there is a big difference between speeders and careful drivers.

So, just expressing a fact, coming from many years and much experience, there are a lot less problems if you close programs each night and open them up again in the morning. Also if you close all your programs and reboot for windows updates. Also if you close your programs and reboot once a week without any reason at all that your know about.

There is a free program called meminfo from carthagosoft.net which will monitor memory use. If you run that in your system tray and watch memory usage, you’ll notice that after closing all programs, you lose a significant amount of memory every day. Gone. Not available anymore. Either programs don’t return it to windows, or it is leaked.

Besides memory leaks, Windows does not properly always close all programs. Perhaps 2-3% of the time it screws up. At least 10 times as often as it’ll screw up if you close the programs manually.

Third, programs often wait until closing to clean up after themselves. So, for example, emClient runs temporary cache files that get deleted when it is closed and have been known to grow to extraordinary sizes if the program is never closed so it cleans up after itself if you close it. Other programs backup on closing.

I’m sure there are other reasons as well, but this is probably a better explanation than needing rest.

1 Like

Yes!! The trouble with decades of IT work is that deja vu. A friend who went to emClient after my positive review says that he finds the only safe way to close emClient is to minimise it to the task bar and right-click to exit.

I agree that your solution seems sensible. However we’re off topic. I have issue to what, 10 or 12 times a day, maybe more, emClient crashes.

It’s a fresh install. I have asked emClient several times for a best-practice guide so that the install is not problematic, but I can’t get one.

I started with Pro support, and they redirected me to the forum.

I started with Pro support, and they redirected me to the forum

I can say it’s definitely not an issue with eM Client V9.0.1317 release as works perfectly for myself and my bro and others on this forum on the latest Windows 11(21H2). using 2 different PC’s.

If it’s not the Windows UI automation issue in Win 11 as @Gary advised above, then it’s something extra you have installed. If this was an eM Client issue all users would be experiencing the same crashing and they are not. So I believe it’s a local computer software or hardware related issue.

1 Like

Are we playing the numbers game? I was the escalated support /liasion for 3000 users operating between software giants and state support desks.

I work until I’m exhausted, I save regularly, but I don’t shut down what I’m working on until it’s finished. emClient ran 24/7 without issue under Windows 10.

1 Like

I don’t want my clients using Windows 11 yet, but you are in it, so too late. I don’t have your patience. If the program crashed on me once a month I’d be out of it. Perhaps Thunderbird? The other option, like @cyberzork says, is to try and figure out what other program is running, like an antivirus, which is causing the conflict. But one of those programs, emclient or the other one, has to be abandoned.

I usually have a OS-canary (sort of like a code monkey) who jumps before I do, however I received my new Dell notebook with Windows 11 pre-installed. Everything else, including my Ulead legacy apps, is working fine.

I tried compatibility mode and it’s increased the crash rate. I keep offering to load v9 beta, my only other alternative is to re-install emClient on my Win10 notebook. Which, since I get a lot of press releases and such, won’t work with my very active program-swapping.

Off-topic – if you haven’t tried NoteTab Pro, and do a lot of coding/binary file work, check it out. I practically live in it.

Nope. Don’t do that much coding. Use Notepad++ for my editor and it is fine. I spend my life in Joplin, then next in Scrivener. So very little coding anymore. However my notepad++ does have about 20 tabs open!

I had the same problem. Running Emclient in windows8 compatible seemed to have solved it.

It seems Microsoft finally addressed the issue and its latest insider built of Windows 11 has resolved the crashes in automation code. The problem is we don’t know how quickly will MS roll out this update to public. If you are interested in a way how to install the insider built of Windows 11 to resolve this issue, let us know.

1 Like

I found the compatibility settings made the problems worse, however I am an insider, so I will test the build and report back.

eM Client crashes often all off a sudden in windows 11