Windows 11 update

Thanks. I was just following the help link in emClient. I didn’t see any way of raising a support ticket. I shall try the Pro version support link you gave me.

I am not too keen on disabling UI Automation or other system features. Everything else is running fine, so I don’t want to mess with things

The installation was OK. It crashed only when using it - on average every 3 minutes ! No message at all, em Client simply crashed.

Mine is the 9.0.231. I was actually thinking about uninstalling it and re-installing with the earlier version, which seemed fine when I used it - for a few days only.

1 Like

Ive just done an upgrade from Win 10-to Win 11 (21H2) Official Build 22000.376 on two differant computers.

One was running eM Client V8.2.1659 and the other running eM Client V9 Beta 9.0.231 and both are working perfectly. No issues.

I‘m using Windows 11 since month and didn’t have problems with version 8.2 or 9 beta so far…

1 Like

My life is currently seeing this very frequently all day and night. I have a brand new machine with the Dell Windows 11 image, so obviously extensively tested. The latest emClient v8 trips over it’s feet all the time. emC asked me to start logging, but no log is being created as far as I can find.

2 Likes

@Festivali

My life is currently seeing this very frequently all day and night

When you close / exit eM Client (before shutting down the computer), wait at least 5+ secs or so to give the database time to close in the background or you will more than likely get startup errors. Also if you shutdown the computer normally with eM Client still running in the systen tray (so still open) will also normally cause startup errors, (unless you power off in Sleep mode).

So if you are waiting at least 5+ secs after exiting eM Client before shutting down Windows normally and still getting startup database errors, then you might have a possible corrupted mail database and need to remove and readd your account.

So to remove your eM Client account if you have an eg: IMAP, Exchange or iCloud acct first backup eM Client via “Menu / Backup” and then remove your account via “Menu / Accounts” and then re-add via the automatic email wizard and see if the startup errors go away.

Failing that check what other background programs are automatically starting up when Windows boots. Sometimes other background programs on the startup can interfere with the shutdown process. So i would next look at eg: disabling all user related (non os) background tasks on the startup apart from eM Client and reboot (to test) and see if eM Client then closes and opens ok without errors. If eM Client then does startup ok without errors everytime on the reboot, you need to then enable those other startup programs one at a time & reboot till you find whats conflicting with eM Client.

Thanks, but I am seeing this because emClient crashes ALL THE TIME. It crashes when I’m composing e-mails. It crashes during send or refresh. It crashes when I’m working on my web site and ignoring it. It crashes when I’m at the gym. It especially crashes when Windows 11 goes into suspend.

That’s apart from whether one uses the X to close, or Quit, or close from the status bar, which we haven’t been able to work out definitively.

1 Like

What version of eM Client 8.x do you have and what version of Windows do you have.

emC 8.2.1659 (845a639)

@Festivali

emC 8.2.1659 (845a639) & Windows 11 Ver 21H2.

I run that same setup on one of my own PCs with a (stock window 11) and that works flawlessley. So if your eM Client is crashing all the time, and you have removed and added accounts and uninstalled and reinstalled the program etc, then something else in Windows is causing it too crash.

You can certainly try the latest eM Client V9 Beta 9.0.846 to see how that goes for you. I have no issues with that either on the same Windows 11 home. No license for that is requried till officially release. So maybe suggest to give that a go. You can d/l that to try from the ver history page. If you do want to give that a try, backup your current eM Client, via “Menu / Backup” and then close eM Client and install the latest v9 Beta which should normally pickup your current mail database and just open and work straight away as worked for me.

Thanks. I have offered to do that as I’m an experienced beta tester. But I’m waiting on someone to send me, or point me to, the SDLC document section on what a correct account setup and data folders structure should look like. It’s so bad I’m printing to PDF my mail and preparing to blow away everything because I just can’t bear all the problems.

I don’t think it’s fair to run a beta test if there are issues in the a/c settings.

This is insane. I remember when Microsoft first created a write cache and did it so badly (pre-windows DOS world), that people were losing documents. They’d save their word documents or spreadsheets, close the program, get to a C prompt and turn off their machine. Microsoft’s write cache was waiting for a non-active moment to actually do the save.

Microsoft’s response to the problem was just like yours. After you see the c prompt, wait 5 seconds then turn off the computer. Finally, they updated to version 6.12 or perhaps dos 6.2 and had the write cache turned off by default.

The proper way to handle the situation is for emClient to open a screen saying backing up, please wait. It should continue to make it clear the program is still there working. Then, when the program is done, it disappears.

Any possibility of issues with firewalls or antivirus systems, or just a bad drive? - chkdsk /f might be useful. Also the whole sfc /scannow and dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

1 Like

lunes 31 enero 2022 :: 0759hrs (UTC +01:00)

I guess that anything that might help is worth a try, personally I never have a problem
with eMC & computer shutdown/restart, I do not need to wait 5secs, and believe that
the combination of multi-tasking shutdown along with lack of computer capability are
possible factors to consider for those having issues.

¡Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

The issue is that Windows ignores that eM Client is running, and ungracefully terminates it.

Maybe a solution is for Windows to wait until the application is closed? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Perhaps we fail to communicate. Anyone who imagines they can shut down windows without first closing programs is inexperienced and expecting abilities the Windows does not provide. Before shutting down a computer you need to close your programs. Windows can’t figure out how to close every program.

What I was assuming is that someone closed emc and it appeared to be closed and then shut down windows. In that case, if emc wasn’t shut down, and it required a 5 second countdown after appearing to be shutdown, then it is emc’s problem because it appeared to be shutdown and was requiring Windows to make up for its poor programming.

My objection was only to a program appearing to be shut down when it wasn’t shut down and the response being, wait 5 seconds.

@steveshank

countdown after appearing to be shutdown, then it is emc’s problem because it appeared to be shutdown and was requiring Windows to make up for its poor programming

That’s a big call saying eM Client has poor programming. I think its one of the best programmed mailers I’ve used on the planet.

Just because you exit a program doesn’t mean it’s completely closed 100% in the background. I have many Windows programs that I need to wait a few secs or so before I shutdown Windows or they too can possibly get corrupted on startup. These programs are not badly programmed it’s just the way their specific programs close.

You don’t always have to wait 5secs either after exiting eM Client. I and other friends & some peeps on this forum do that to be on the safe side as we then know EMC database will be completely closed & no risk of corruption. So that’s completely up to you if you do or not. As @skybat says he doesn’t & works ok for him.

To test what the eM Client background exit time is, open the task manager before closing EMC and then close EMC and see when all instances of eM Client are gone in the task manager. You might find it’s only eg: 1-2 secs or nearly instantaneous.

Each computer eM Client exit time is different as with the eg: speed of your harddisk, available ram, and size of your mail database as well as and what other software is running at the same time when closing the program.

As @Gary says, Windows as the OS should be waiting till all programs are closed 100% before it shuts down and not just terminate them.

1 Like

martes 01 febrero 2022 :: 1301hrs (UTC +01:00)

With the possible exception of Eudora.

I have to qualify this, the only reason I do not need to wait is that I am fortunate
that my main laptop is very high end (processor,RAM, SSD) that allows this action,
on others that I use I do wait a few seconds.

¡Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

Let me be clear about what I’m saying and not saying. As @Gary has said, Windows sometimes does not close programs properly. This is not a 1 in a million occurrence. It is common. Anyone who leaves their programs open and closes windows is, as I said, inexperienced. We must close our own programs. In fact, lots of problems are solved if people would just close all their open programs (except those like backup or antivirus) every night whether they shut off their computer or not. For example, emc cleans up temp files when the program is closed. When the program is not closed, problems ensue. If they do that, their computer will run much better. We had a person on this forum who didn’t close emc and got into all sorts of trouble because of that.

Now, if someone closes a program, and the program shows that it is closed when it is not, that is a programming mistake. Good programmers make mistakes. Good programmers want people to point out their mistakes and appreciate it. If a program cleans up temp files and/or backs up after closing, it should notify the user that it is working and not indicate that it is already shut down. We get along better if we communicate. A simple window showing, “Backing up” followed by one saying “Cleaning up temp files”, will prevent problems if indeed there actually are any with emc showing it is shut down when it is not. I do not know if that is a problem. The problems occurred when emc was not shut down and an inexperienced user imagined Windows would do it for them properly.

emClient will error if X is used, or Menu, Exit, or Close All Windows from the task bar.

As for closing emClient, how are we to manage e-mail accounts without having the app open? It can be opened on startup, and should be closed on Exit, without the user having to specifically close the app. It is sold as an all-in-one desktop product, so it needs to be up 24/7.

Right now emClient crashes constantly, so I am spending an inordinate amount of time looking at the damn corrupt database dialog.