SMTP connecting fails ?

Thank you…can somebody fix this already…

Hello,
I am sorry, the problem was that log files weren’t created when you tried to send them. So we need to create them first: let Network communication option enabled, try to simulate the issue and then turn off and turn on eM Client (it will save logs to files). After that use the menu instruction I wrote here above. If you cannot send even these logs, please, save them (during the procedure) and send them to us ([email protected]) by some other way.

Regards

I am having this identical problem on a new Windows 7 PC and smpt.comcast.net. Interestingly I first installed Windows Live Mail and had this exact same problem. As I was not impressed with the Live Mail interface anyway I replaced it with eM Clent because it is similar to Outlook Express. I hoped the problem would go away but it did not. Comcast uses simple (non SSL) authentication. The same parameters work perfectly to send mail on an XP machine running Outlook Express. It seems it might be a timing problem on the much faster Win 7 machine as mail does occasionally get sent successfully. Has anyone got to the bottom of this problem yet?

Addendum: I installed EM Client on my slower XP machine and still could not send SMTP to Comcast. Outlook Express manages fine on the same machine. It is not a timing problem then. It is something OE knows how to do but eM Client does not.

If you are sure your account settings are set OK, please send us your communication logs. Instruction can be found in this thread above.

Hi Gabriel,
I just sent you the EM log 2011-04-12_11-16-48.log

For comparison I also sent the log from my XP machine when successfully sending mail. I included a tracert I did to try to understand the routing.

I hope this helps, DicK

Hi Gabriel,
I sent you the logs as requested. I’d really appreciate some feedback as I’d like to use EM Client as my email interface in Win 7. Thanks,

Hi,
don’t you have some kind of protection installed (firewall,antivirus…) ?

Of course I have the Windows firewall, McAFee Virus protection and a NAT Router installed. I added your exe to the firewall exceptions. It made no difference of course because that only applies to allowing apps to accept connections externally. Anyway OE is not an exception and is perfectly happy to send mail to Comcast and neither McAFee or the router report any exceptions. I have abstracted the logs, success for OE and failure for eM Client, and will send them to you (smtp.log). One interesting point is that OE finds its way to a different server (71.237.74.95) rather than the initial DNS address for smtp.comcast.net (76.96.62.117) that your log implies. 587 is the correct port for Comcast SMTP. Maybe there is some failure in routing from eM Client ?

Please do not give me the standard Help desk run around. As an ex System Administrator and programmer I do know something about what I am doing, enough to be dangerous at least although I am not a network engineer.

According to the logs the connection to 76.96.30.117:587 fails outside the control of eM Client, which points to a firewall / antivirus problem, as previously indicated. I have tried to access the address using PuTTY from our network and it works just fine and connects without a problem.

The IP address also looks correct according to lookup from Google DNS:

Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: smtp.g.comcast.net
Address: 76.96.62.117
Aliases: smtp.comcast.net

eM Client does nothing special in regard to routing and uses the default route tables in Windows system.

71.237.xxx.xxx is your IP address, not the SMTP server’s one.

My apologies Filip and Gabriel, you are correct. McAFee was blocking MailClient under a rule preventing mass mailing worms from sending mail. I use an Enterprise version of McAfee so the following may not apply exactly to the consumer version. To fix McAFee open the Virus Scan Consol. Right click on Access protection. Select Properties. In the new "Access Protection Properties " window select the rule, “Prevent mass mailing…”. Click Edit. In the “Rule Details” Window type in “, MailClient.exe” at the end of the list of “Processes to Exclude”. Press OK. Then click “Apply” in the Access Protection Properties window. Click “OK”. eM Client will now send mail. It was undoubtedly the same problem I saw with Windows Live Mail and should be able to be fixed the same way.

Thanks for the help.

I have two laptops with eMail Client installed, latest version 3.0.9716.0, and can receive mail yet cannot send on my laptop. My Wife’s works just fine. I did the above suggested download/install/create ‘tmp’ folder with the Config file in the eMail Client folder and it creates NOTHING!!

Hi,
in the version 3.0 of eM Client you can use menu Tools->Settings->Logging and check Network communication. Then simulate the issue, restart eM Client and send us the logs using the same logging settings window.

I fixed the problem (for me) that’s discussed above. I was using Outlook and kept getting “not sent” errors when sending emails with large attachments. The email would stay in my Outbox as if it had never been sent. But with each server retry, the email was actually sent. I had friends emailing me back with “Hey, funny video; but why did you send it 16 times!?”

Outlook had been acting weird for me in other ways too, so I switched to eM Client. When I found that eMC was doing the same thing; I went back to Outlook and lengthened the server timeout period. That fixed it. So, I looked for the same setting on eMC and couldn’t find it.

That’s when I found this topic and saw EMPLOYEE’s comment about the AV software. I turned out my AV’s (GData) setting to check outgoing email, and now eMC works fine. (Why check outgoing email that I forward when GData has already checked it on the inbound?!)

Ok so I continue to have the SMTP issue with Frontier. There is this requirement in the server area… the Em Client does not have secure server requirements…and every so often …frontier just will not recognize my mail …go figure.I figure it happens when they do upgrades or something. Anyway…if I have a email that gets stuck…and remains in out box… nothing will go out until this one email is removed. took me 3 days to resolve this issue. I kept doing the test thing…with new emails and new settings…nothing worked. Called support they couldnt find anything other than the security policy setting problem.
But after all else fails we put the first email in draft and …boom …all others went flying out the box.
So…here’s one solution…after the issue starts. Who knows if this will work for anyone else. Seeing how frustrating this was for me thought it was worth passing on

This was the exact cause of my problem as well, after checking the setting 20 times, I finally decided to look in the LOG FILE of McAfee to see if I was being blocked and it showed up right there. What eM needs to do is contact McAfee and get on their standard preloaded list of email clients so that they are not blocked by this standard rule.

I bet money that’s what they need to do with Frontier. They will not help us because emClient is not on their support list. Every few weeks I have this lock out issue- SMPT will not send or I have to keep verifying my account

Hi, I also have an issue with IMAP, connecting to our Linux SME Server. In Outlook, when I connect I’m prompted with a authentication, which I simply click OK. I get no such prompt with EMClient. I assume that this is where it fails. Is there any think I can do to get them to talk?

Hi, EM has worked brilliantly for the past 10 months but I am now getting the same problem, which up to yesterday was intermitent and I put down to the server being busy, I have checked my settings (countless times) and also logged in manually ok but I still keep getting “Access Denied” and now it appears to be permanent. I have tried the “draft box” idea but it doesn’t make any difference. This seems to have started since the last update. I use W7 HELP!!!

Hi, I really don’t understand this. About 1730 my outbox emptied without any help from me???
Brian Schoepe