Review of EmClient After Years of Use

The Good:

When I first saw EmClient, I absolutely loved the alternative to Microsoft.
I loved the layout of the email.
I think its one of the best calendars out there.
Some nice features like “forward as original” which is a nice touch.
The ability to add multiple accounts.
And many other great features.

The not so good:
Downloading attachments issues has been constant with no fix.
Sometimes it sits there and tries to download it, but doesn’t.
I have time sensitive material and end up having to login to my browser to go fetch it.

Emails getting stuck for no reason at all. They just wont send.
Copy recreate it then it sends.
Consistent errors in red, I just end up clearing them because there are so many and support has not come up with a solution. They blamed Microsoft issue syncing with Emclient being the problem.
As I am sitting here I have an email with attachments under 25 mg that just sits in the outbox. This happened several times today. Go upstairs to my macbook, open up Mac Mail and it sends it instantly.
There have been many more struggles just cant think of them at the moment but may add them as time goes on.

As much as I love EmClient, I may have to move to Mac Mail. It doesnt have all the feature and would need some serious tweaking, but with support and this many years with EmClient and these issues still there is a problem for my everyday workload/personal email system.

Also and even as we speak trying to log in tp the licensing website. I have the passwords and User names saved, even on a locked document. Log in, failure to provide correct credentials. I wonder.
Is this another company that forces password changes perhaps?

Again I think EmClient is one of the best out there, however some of these issue are making it unusable for me.

Would love to hear if anyone has had similar experiences.

NIceT

1 Like

I agree about eM Client being the best alternative to Outlook or just about any other email client out there, and why I use it as my day to day email client.

That being said I don’t experience any of the issues you describe, and based on my reading of this forum a lot of the issues (not all, bugs do get fixed in eM Client) seem to be email provider based or another software interfering with eM Client operation. I have noticed Yahoo and Office365 outages which caused short term red errors in my eM client which usually were due to an actual outage, or back-end server changes that break eM Client. In other instances users have software installed like a virus scanner that is trying to scan emails (including attachments) which break eM Client.

In many instances the email provider doesn’t follow mail server specs very well, and thus eM Client has to make work arounds to handle the way specific providers manage things. For instance when it comes to your attachment issues, the best options have been:

1. Set eM Client to “Download messages for offline use and to search in message bodies” and “Include attachments to search in attached documents”.

OR if #1 doesn’t work, then:

1. Download the emails as RAW, as described here: What is raw download?

If you have multiple email accounts setup at multiple providers, then is it only one provider having these issues? For example, are the attachments an issue with a single provider? If it is across all providers, then have you tried disabling all virus scanners? That is the way I would consider diagnosing issues with eM Client, trying to figure out if it is a eM Client issue, or a email provider issue.

I can say in my personal experience eM Client has been great when using IMAP/SMTP/CalDAV/CardDAV with a good email provider. I have noticed issues with Yahoo from time to time, but those ending up being server based issues that went away on their own. Office 365 and Yahoo broke at one point due to the Oauth change both those providers made which required the email account to be removed and added again. GMail and Office365 at times throw sporadic errors, that just go away so I assume they are server based, but don’t happen all the time.

The only known issue I have currently with eM Client 9.2 is sometimes I have to close it and re-open eM Client when going in and out of Windows sleep mode. Of course I know going in and out of sleep mode can confuse software, and having to close and open eM Client is not that big of a deal to myself. Besides that I know eM Client can be sensitive to network connection drops, and when that happens even a very minor one, it will give you a red triangle. If you click the red triangle it will refresh the connection and all is good again. Those are the only two ongoing things I have to work around currently.

1 Like

Hi lancealot, thanks for your reply. I don’t have Office 365 and all my email accounts are microsoft.
I’m on a mac I don’t have nor do I need a virus scanner.
I always, always, always, Download messages for offline use and to search in message bodies” and “Include attachments to search in attached documents”.
The other thing I notice is if it ever hangs and has to check the database file. that can take anywhere from 20 minutes to infinity.
remember I have been with EmClient almost since it’s inception.

Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.

NiceT

@nicetryw

They blamed Microsoft issue syncing with Emclient being the problem.

As I am sitting here I have an email with attachments under 25 mg that just sits in the outbox. This happened several times today. Go upstairs to my macbook, open up Mac Mail and it sends it instantly

If you install eM CIient on your Mac, do you experience the same issue using the same internet connection ?

As if it then works ok on your Mac using eM CIient, then it will be some local software issue on your Windows computer.

Now “if you only have Macs in your house” and one Mac is not working with eM Client properly with the same OS and the same eM Client version, then could be an internet connection issue “at that part of the house”, you may need to test by moving it to another Lan or Wifi point in your house or premesis.

Now if it happens with all your computers in any part of your house or premesis, “then its more than likely mail server related” as eM CIient support advised, and you would then need to “contact your mail server technical support” via phone or website to advise to get that resolved.

Sometimes too mail servers (even major ones) can also have intermittant problems or outages. Also mail servers can sometimes get load issues from time to time, and also sometimes server to server connection issues between countries. So all those things are out of control of the mail client and can then cause errors.

I use both eM Client V9.2x and V10.x on Win 10 & 11 and on Mac with Sonoma with 3 IMAP accounts (Microsoft, Google and Yahoo & have “no current issues at all” from my location. Ive also previously used Exchange accounts with PC and Mac which also worked fine as well so i carnt fault eM CIient.

1 Like

I have the same emClient red-triangle issues with all Microsoft accounts on 4 Windows PCs since Microsoft changed things.

I have tried everything suggested. I have successfully reduced (but not eliminated) the red-triangle incidence by changing the IMAP Server address to outlook.office365.com as suggested by cyberzork

Have a look at this thread and see if it helps you:

It seems to me that the Microsoft servers in Australia might be a bit slow and experience time-out issues. Perhaps it is the same where you are.

Unless Microsoft fix their imap servers, In eMClient we have to live with it. I also think that Microsoft don’t care much about iMap access - they want to steer you towards using their email apps.

3 Likes

I’ve had issues getting my titan mail imap to work properly. Sometimes it’ll just fail to connect and give red errors and ask for a new password or some change to the settings, but if I leave it it’ll just eventually resolve itself. I had huge issues even trying to import my imap from thunderbird

Support are great but they just can’t fix problems that are caused by either bad coding or something.

1 Like

Hey Cyber. Yes I dod experience it with the same internet connection, however it repeats itself when Im out and using other wifi. Im only using Mac at the moment.
The issue happens on every device using emclient. Thanks for chiming in.

@nicetryw

Yes I did experience it with the same internet connection, however it repeats itself when Im out and using other wifi. Im only using Mac at the moment.

Ok as it happens on your Mac “using any internet connection” with the latest V9.2 or 10 mail client, then does sound like “Mail server” related problem.