macOS: Memory consumption too high

Hi,

I am using eM Client 9.2.2144.
I have realised that the memory consumption of eM Client is far too high. I have the same mailboxes running on Spark and eM Client.
The screen shot shows that Spark has a lot of open ports and requires almost 4 times as much memory.

Best regards,
Doktor

For myself personally i don’t have any problems with the amount of memory eM Client for Mac is using.

eM Client & Spark are completely different programs and they will never be exactly the same as far as Memory usage, Ports and Threads etc.

Currently on my Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1 & eM Client V9 or V10 with 4 x IMAP accounts (when idle and minimised) is Memory Usage average 405-410 MB Max as per below activity monitor example.

When (its open and checking mail) Memory usage average 425-431 MB Max as per below example.

As you are getting memory usage 939 MB, could be eg: eM Client is not quite 100% finished downloading mail, or still caching mail in folders etc, so then using alot more memory usage till all 100% completed.

You can click the dropdown arrow on the right of “Refresh” and click “Show Operations” to see if anything is still processing when in the foreground.

Suggest to try the latest eM Client for Mac 9.2.2230 via the release history page to see if it makes any difference incase there was any memory issue with the older 9.2.2144 version.

Note: If you do update eM Client, Close eM Client before installing the updated newer version.

(eM Client V9 / 10 Mac Idle Minimised)

(eM Client V9 / 10 Mac Open checking new mail)

I have updated to 9.2.2230.
macOS: 14.4.1

But still a lot of memory usage (an no active operations).

Within 24 hours approx. 200 MB more memory consumption and approx. 7000 more open ports.

No active syncs.

I’m also have this issue. I’m using the latest beta 10.0.2622 and I’m seeing the MacOs memory usage of 800 MB to 1.1 GB. on my Windows PC with same version and accounts, It’s typically 250 MB.

As a follow-up to my post, I note that if I see the high memory usage and I close and restart emClient, the memory usage drops to 500 - 600 MB (still 2X my PC). Could there be a memory leak issue?

Using the latest eM Client Mac V10.0.2622 an Mac Sonoma 14.5 OS, eM Client the max memory usage i get when checking mail etc is 435MB as per todays screenshot with 4 IMAP accounts. Pretty much the same as in V9 on Mac. So V10 seems to be ok for me as far as memory usage.

Very Strange. I’m also running 14.5, but if I let the Mac sit idle for a period of time, the memory usage creeps up to 800+ GB. Restarting lowers it to <500 and the cycle repeats.

I’m not sure if it makes any difference, but I’m running the M3 processor.

I’m not sure if it makes any difference, but I’m running the M3 processor

Ah ok I only have an M1 with 8GB Ram. Yes maybe there is a difference on the M3. Dunno.

Some weeks and mails later: still a high memory consumption:

No running syncs.

Yikes… I was just about to move to eM Client, but this is alarming. I will have to look more carefully at this situation since Spark is already weighing in for me at 600-750mb and I have quite the large email load to manage.

emClient v.10 and iMac with M3 have 760 MB this 3 accounts mail

This is rather concerning. Running on an M1 Max with 64gb RAM here and only have 5 of about 20 email accounts added so far and the memory is up to about 1gb idle. It seems to move up each time an account is added. Spark (old good version, not their new trash version), with all 20 accounts lands at about 700mb.

Suggest to try the latest eM Client V10.0.3266 if you haven’t already just released 18th July via the release history page and see if it makes any difference.

Updating via Homebrew (brew install emclient, etc) and was at 10.0.3125 (don’t see that on the changelog), but I do see that after an update today it is now at 10.0.3266.

Memory consumption is at about 750mb at startup, will keep my eye on it over some time here to see where this lands in the next few hours and after adding some more accounts…

@ylluminate

Running on an M1 Max with 64gb RAM here and only have 5 of about 20 email accounts added so far and the memory is up to about 1gb idle

How long do you leave eM Client open running idle on your M1 Max ?

Also is the memory usage any different minimised ?

Also do you have any emc compose or other emc separate section windows open when idle ?

As just want to compare with my M1 Mac with the same V10.0.3266.

After aprox 30 mins on my M1 Mac with 8GB Ram, my memory usage is still only average 439mb with 4 IMAP accounts fully synced and nothing running in the Operations Log.

I also “don’t have any compose or extra emc separate section windows open”. Just the main GUI open & minimized idle.

(Usage with only the main eM Client GUI window open and no other windows open)

Note:- If i open eg: 3 x compose windows, then my memory consumption goes to around 623MB. So that can also make a difference to possibly why you maybe getting high memory usage.

Also if i eg: open the emc calendar in a separate window as well as the 3 x compose my memory usage jumps to 824MB. So that might explain why alot of users on this thread are getting high memory usage when eM Client is idle, if you have more than just the single main gui open.

(Usage with 3 x Compose windows open and Separate Calendar window)

Memory consumption is at about 750mb at startup, will keep my eye on it over some time here to see where this lands in the next few hours and after adding some more accounts…

Could be possibly eM Client is still synching ?

If you click the “dropdown on the right of Refresh” and click “Show Operations” is there “anything at all happening in the Log tab” when its open ?

We added a diagnostic option in menu Help → Record Memory Usage. If you send us the logs we will try to find the root cause.

1 Like

Sorry guys - kinda just left eM Client alone here out of frustration the last several days.

@cyberzork I’m an “always on” email guy. I have a lot of accounts and a lot of clients that primarily use email for comms. I also run eight monitors, so I just leave it open and up perpetually along with my other tooling such as Ferdium for Mattermost for our own team efforts and such.

Generally speaking it’s only eMC sans compose or other open windows. It’s just to scan emails as they come in. Email sync’ing is still in progress, so that is a possibility.

@Filip_Navara thanks - I’ll try to revisit eM Client usage soon. I have some things that just aren’t sitting right with me yet with eM Client compared to Spark… I don’t actually like Spark, but it has been my go-to for some years now and I feel this is a hard habit to break given some of the hurdles I’ve hit.

(As an aside, and oddly enough, the default coloring of buttons is very annoying to me, which I noted a solution for here: Simplified master highlight color changer that does not require the "theme editor"?. I don’t really feel that I have the patience to customize the colors myself given the many variables present and no custom themes I’ve found make me feel like they compare to your defaults.)

The problem is still not solved.

I am using 10.0.3530. No active syncs.
5 accounts added.
Memory used: 1,06 GB

For comparison: “an other” email client, same accounts uses less than 400 MB.
CleanShot 2024-09-06 at 12.30.50

With this memory waist it is not possible to use em client for productive Macs.

I have generated a memory log. But the size is too big to mail this file. Is there an other way to submit the file?