macOS: Memory consumption too high

Same here …
I’m testing eM Client before deciding to ditch Airmail, and oh my … huge difference in terms of RAM consumption.
Here, on version 10.0.3530 (f0b89b7), VS Airmail:

@WhiteNoize

I’m testing eM Client before deciding to ditch Airmail, and oh my … huge difference in terms of RAM consumption.

2.83GB is some serious amount of memory consumption. More than double anyone else in this thread. So could be your accounts are still synching

How many accounts do you have ? and also are they still synching ? Also what M series CPU.

Click the dropdown on the right of Refresh and click “Show Operations” to see if still synching. If you have only just added the account/s and they are still synching that could explain that very high consumption.

However “if the accounts are already fully synced and nothing showing in the Operations Windows”, then send in the logs from the “Help → Record Memory Usage” as @Filip_Navara advised in the thread futher up.

The problem has been known for months now. Many people have a major problem with memory consumption.
I have also asked how I can send the log file as it is too large for an email. But never got an answer.

All in all, I’m a bit disappointed with the speed of development at the moment when problems are reported.

1 Like

Thanks @cyberzork!

So that number was from my iMac 2019, i9, 128GB RAM. Later on, I used my MacBook Pro 2019, i7, 16GB RAM, and it was way less, like 700ish …

Today, back on my iMac, it’s now 830MB (it started at 692 though), and seems to stay around that number, so far.
So yeah, it’s better than yesterday, but still, more than 800MB for an email client is way too much IMO. And before you mention it, yes with 128GB in my machine why would I ever complain, right? Well, I use that machine as a music production computer, and I work on huge session that take 80GB+ (lots of virtual instruments), and I need to have my email client opened all the time. So, I can deal with Airmail so far, as it only takes around 350/400 max, and it’s pretty fancy …

Ok, let’s try something: I just created a web widget (inoreader.com), and boom! From 830MB it went straight to 1.60GB, and according to my browser, it shows that the Inoreader tab takes around 182MB:
Vivaldi - Inoreader Tab

So, the diff is not right here.

So I unchecked it from the widgets preferences, but it stays at 1.60GB:

Then, clicking on Save & Close, it went up to 2.11GB:

Quitting eM Client and restart it, solves the issue, I’m back to 680MB:

To address your points:

Only one.

I’m on Intel (i9 and i7)

No, the account was fully synced already.

Anyway, I don’t have much time right now to continue testing, but there are certainly memory issues going on here.
I love eM Client so far (and really want to love it)… Still trying it out, noticed some issues here and there, but it’s a great app overall! Not ready yet to pull the trigger on a paid license though…Especially with this memory rollercoaster thing (and my gmail signature that won’t show up + other minor things…)

EDIT:
Quick addition:
Ok, I noticed that as soon as I open the settings window, the app jumps to double the amount of RAM, like right away! I restarted eM Client, it was at 667MB, I opened the settings, it jumped at 1.15GB, After closing it, the app went down to 693MB

@Doktor

I have also asked how I can send the log file as it is too large for an email. But never got an answer.

If you then have a current active paid eM Client Pro or new Personal version, then login to the following eM Client VIP support page and create a support ticket and attach / send in your recorded memory usage log. An assigned support engineer will then get back to you.

If you only have a free eM Client version or your paid Pro version has finished the included VIP support time, then i don’t know if there is an official support email address on this free forum to have this specific issue currently investigated. If there is one, someone will update that in this thread where you can then send your large log file that is too big for email via eg: eM Client Cloud link email attachments if you use Google Drive, One Drive, Dropbox etc.

Otherwise, wait for the next updated version via the release history page and see if that fixes that issue. Hopefully a new version is not far away.