Incoming mail marked as "important"

Links for removing Gmail Important automatic tags in eM Client IMAP accounts and Automatic tagging of Gmail accounts and how to disable.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/emails-are-being-autotagged-as-important-and-i-cant-turn-it-off/79353

https://forum.emclient.com/t/how-to-manage-disable-automated-tagging-orders-social-etc/65713

I have tried everything you said in gmail and I still get every email with important. If it is Gmail, it certainly doesn’t work for me. I turned of important markers, I told it not to remember past markers. I still get important on every single email. It is extremely annoying and unnecessary.

Ok, as mentioned, for those frustrated with the new update of all emails being IMPORTANT, this works:

The next thing you can do in eM Client is turn off the “important” tag in your account settings by going to Menu > Accounts > (select your gmail account) > IMAP tab > Tags > Show Important Tag > Never

Finally! Thanks for following up on this. Still, if you have gmail setting for important turned off, EMC should follow it without telling EMAC to ignore it.

Same here. I already had the settings enabled in gmail to turn this off and every email I receive is still marked as “important” in eM Client.

Appreciate this as a temporary patch @Leftywits. But now if someone sends me something actually marked as important, I will not see the flag.

For those insisting this is a gmail setting… many of us have turned it off in gmail (settings → Inbox → Importance Markers is set to “No Markers” and it does not matter if “Don’t use my Past Actions to Predict Which Messages are Important” is checked or not)… and still every single incoming email is marked as important. Time for eM Client to dig a bit deeper into this instead of just blaming gmail, I’d say. :slight_smile:

We’re in 100% total agreement! We’ll said.

You can disable this in Menu > Accounts, then in the IMAP tab for the Gmail account.
Set the Tags option for Important to Never.

Totally agree about the gmail settings. I did those steps and it changed important from yellow to green. But doing the “temporary patch” has fixed the issue for me. Good enough. Thanks.

I’ve been having this same recent issue and had already changed the settings in Gmail as some folks insistently repeated. It didn’t used to be this way. This is the only suggestion that “solves” the problem so I guess I just have to live with it until eM Client actually fixes the issue. Thank you so much!.

Just disable the display of Important tags in the IMAP settings as I have already indicated.

The setting is there so you can choose if you want to see them or not.

:Yes, thanks, I learned that from the thread. I think the point is that I (we) never had to do that before. I made no changes to my PC or to Gmail and only recently did this step become necessary. Thanks again, though, and be well.

We always displayed them, see this screenshot from version 8.

Just we display them a little differently in version 9, but also now give you the option not to display them, which we never did before.

That make it all clear now! Thanks! Any way to revert back to version 8?

Well, version 8 doesn’t have the option to disable Important tags, but if you want to go back to 8, follow the downgrade instructions here: https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/195/0/how-can-i-downgrade-back-to-em-client-8-em-client-7-or-older

I think that I may file a separate issue, but it is certainly related:

Gmail historically does a somewhat good job of distinguishing email that is likely to be important to me from other email. Applying Gmail’s “Important” label according to whatever it’s algorithms heuristics are, which undoubtedly include looking at stuff inside the email, observing my behavior what I do with email, and quite likely comparing what I do to the emails what other people to email.

Historically I have complained bitterly about how inaccurate the Gmail “important” filtering has been, but Nevertheless it is useful

I do NOT want to disable Gmail’s “important” heuristics. Nor do I want to hide the label.

However, I believe since I started using KnowBrainer that just about every message in my inbox has the “important” label applied to it.

Q: is eMclient somehow interfering with or not working well with Gmail’s “important”" heuristics?

For example, when an email has been incorrrectly marked as important in Gmail, clearing that marking trains future uses of Gmail. Not immediately, but slowly, over time. Is it possible that when I cleared the important label/tag in eMcllient, that somehow does not trigger such training in Gmail? E.g. perhaps the trigger is interactive use within tthe Gmail webapp, and not howsoever the label is changed in eMclient?

I am not 100% certain that this is a problem. I have just been noticing it getting worse and worse. And I have spent the last few days trying to train the Gmail important label through eMclient the way I have trained it in the past in other email system. mostly Gmail’s web interface, although IIRC training it through Outlook and Thunderbird has also worked. This is the 1st time I have noticed that not working, using eMclient. It is always possible that it is just an accident, but it is suspicious.

I say again: I do NOT want to disable or hide the Gmail Important label. Gmail does a lot of AI, and although I worry about the privacy aspects when it works it does help. I also know about using rules/filters on the Gmail side [*] to mark unimportant email. And I use them, although it is a bit of a pain to maintain them, and it is much more pleasant when it just works without me having to add them manually to my filters. It is not helped by eMclient filters not automatically updating Gmail’s filters. And I need to update Gmail filters because eMclient is not the only email client I use, e.g. I also access my Gmail on my iPhone and watch using other clients.

I just hope that it is possible to train Gmail’s smart email labeling through eMclient the same way as possible through other email clients.

I am starting to pay much more attention to this, and I reckon that if I painfully mark all of the bogus important email for a few days or weeks in eMclient and Gmail insist on still providing it, it is probably an eMclient issue. especially if I switch back to using Gmail directly and the training works.

Q: is eM Client somehow interfering with or not working well with Gmail’s “important”" heuristics?

eM Client only “reflects / displays” the important tag “that is already set in Gmail online” and doesn’t interfere with it at all. If important tags are different now you started using KnowBrainer, then i would contact Google for assistance as they look after your Gmail mailbox and settings for it.

This worked PTylor! Thanks