I need some help with notifications

I think the Windows Mail app is pretty much part of the OS, just like the calendar and weather features. Even when they are closed, there are still background processes or services running.

The best you can do with eM Client is to minimize it.

Maybe you can run it as a service, but that is not the intended use.

I see, but I insist, it needs that function. If other alternatives like Mailbird and Thunderbird that are not part of the OS can do that, why not eM Client?

For now that is the only problem I find in eM Client, I hope the client developers will consider adding that feature soon.

Thunderbird can’t. When the application is closed, there are no notifications.

That’s fine, but other alternatives can; and eM Client should not leave this aside.

Such as?

When applications are closed they do not give notifications.

Mailbird, Outlook , Thunderbird with some extension… I don’t think it’s necessary to mention some of them because we know that some eM Client competition can do it.

And I see that I am not the only one with this problem, since 5 years ago eM Client has not solved it. Email notification Solved - Windows 10 Forums (tenforums.com) and here a similar problem with notifications No Notifications - Mail - eM Client

You know?.. forget it, I’m sure that if I write to eM Client they will give me a better attention and a good answer.

Good day.

Good idea… be sure to share their response

Nope! Mailbird does not!
And neither does TB. And why close TB and use an add-on or an extension from an obscure source and give it the right to check your mail? Better leave TB active.

Good idea… be sure to share their response

I will, so you also have the same problem?

Not at all, just believe you should move along

1 Like

Obviously Mozilla has an extension to fix that. Make Thunderbird to check for mails when it is closed - Ask Ubuntu

Thank you, I am a new eM Client user and so far that is the only drawback I have found, and of course I will share the answer they send me from eM Client.

Not a Mozilla extension. See who the developer is.
There are others btw. Search TB add-ons. They’re all from external sources. They’re not all reliable. Be careful! Read reviews AND required permissions!

It is an extension with a rating of 4 out of 5 stars, so it works. And prove my point that TB can notify new mail when it is closed. But don’t worry, I stopped using Thunderbird a long time ago.

That issue has to do with eM Client not giving notifications when it is running.

I see you erased your post…
Then you should be happy with eMC. Just leave it in the tray like the example you gave (Mailbird)

Pity the post was withdrawn as I was interested to find out what add-on that was.

I just hate it when someone claims that such-and-such does something, but then they can’t qualify it by saying what it is.

4 Likes

The only mail client that I am aware of that is running in the background is Bluemail.
I personally prefer not to have a notification if the app is closed.

Yes, for now it is an alternative solution, as mentioned by user RolandJS

As a Windows developer, what you are basically asking for is to hit the X in the corner of the window, but have eM Client not actually exit, but minimize to the tray. Some applications do that - they are really not exiting, and continue to run and take up system resources. You can do that by simply minimizing eM Client instead of exiting. Sure - you will see it down on the task bar, but is that really so bad?

I run Apple Mail on the Mac, Thunderbird on Linux, and eM Client on Mac and Windows. On macOS, if I quit Apple Mail, versus leaving it running, I no longer get notifications, and the Mail icon on the dock doesn’t show me the unread message count for my inboxes. One huge difference between macOS and Windows is that the button in the corner of the window on the Mac does not exit the program - it just closes the window, and it still shows as running on the Dock. On Windows, it exits. On the Mac, I have to intentionally use the menu to choose Quit to exit eM Client, Apple Mail, or anything else.

As others have said, the reason Mail on Windows does this, is because it is not actually fully exiting when you click the X on the corner of the window to close it.