How do I group my messages using conversation - as used in gmail?

Hi,
sorry but there’s no date set for the conversation view. We’d like to add the feature in future releases of eM Client 6 or in version 7.
However there’s already been some complications in the past with implementing this feature and it might be postponed again.

But we’re working on this feature and is definitely one of our priorities.

Paul.

Today I opened EM Client and got a message about an update to 6.0.20154.0 with the following details:

"…- Fixed creating of contact and calendar folders on iCloud

• Workaround for Apple Server 3.1.1 not sending VTIMEZONEs in events
  • Fixed autodiscover on Kerio, currently defaults to EWS and doesn’t setup CalDAV/CardDAV anymore
  • Workaround a crash with unsupported recurrence rules on Exchange
  • Don’t try to discover IMAP/POP3/SMTP when setting up an Exchange account
  • Fixed moving of a folder as a children of the account root on Exchange
  • Enabled NTLM and Negotiate authentication for Autodiscover since some Exchange servers allow only these authentication schemes…"

In other words you guys are busy fixing and implement features like “Kerio” or other stuff? So all these things have priority over conversation view? SERIOUSLY??

We are hundreds of users screaming for conversation view but you don’t seem to care. We also offered to buy the product immediately if necessary but you simply don’t listen!!

Have you seen your faceboook comments??

And yet… you continue to roll updates that no one needs…

I just think they don’t know how to do it, McLausky. They did implement it once before but had to roll back because it created a host of other issues. I’m a paid user already but I don’t use eMClient anymore for this very reason. Probably Kerio are also paying them for the service, whereas free users that want conversation view don’t bring much persuasive power to the table.

Hi, I’m sorry you feel that way, we already mentioned several times that we’d like to add the feature to future releases but no date for the release has been set yet.

Thank you for understanding, I hope you can manage to use the application with the current setting.

Thank you,
Paul.

Yeah, they probably don’t know how to do it. I wonder what kind of persuasion technique can we use. The app as it is is stuck in the 90’s, and yet we still keep on getting the same “we will implement the feature in future releases”. That future is probably 5 years from now.

Hi McClausky,

In the defense for eM Client: the bugs they have solved in the last release have also been mentioned by end users on this forum.

I think it’s better to have a program that *works* (is being able to send/receive e-mails), then to show the e-mail in another visible way (‘conversation view’).

Personally I’m not using ‘conversation view’ and I don’t think I’m missing it (I also didn’t use that in Thunderbird).

I understand of course that there are many people who would like to use the ‘conversation view’…but implementing this will definitely involve a big redesign of the database and UI.

@Hans:  I understand EM Client just “works” the way it is now.   The thing is that nowadays, an email client without Conversation View is an App that “works” in the 90’s.   In order for it to “work” in our current time, it will have to implement Conversation View which is essential.  There might be some small groups of users that don’t miss it (probably because they never really used it properly), but the vast majority really needs it.  Gmail started organizing mail this way probably a decade ago, and now it’s just standard.   Maybe a big internal or database re design will be needed, but that shouldn’t be an excuse.     Finally, I don’t agree with the “UI redesign” barrier, it’s just a grouping icon or arrow. 

New user here. I’d just like to add that I would very much like conversation view added asap. It’s a bit of a downer to read this thread and see that it was intended 2 years ago, and its still not here.

I have been using Outlook for years. After using emClient for a couple of weeks, lack of conversation view is by far the biggest limitation of the program in my opinion. Without it, I think you’re severely limiting your ability to attract potential switchers from Outlook who have grown accustomed to this feature.

Hi McClausky,

I assume the UI changes will be more than just a ‘grouping icon’ or ‘arrow’ … now the e-mails are shown in a ‘grid’ … if you want to see them in a ‘conversation view’, that might mean that eM Client needs to use a completely different control to show the e-mails (a ‘treeview / grid’ combined).

Interesting point for me is how you should show e-mails which ‘belong’ to a conversation, but which the end user (me for example) has moved from his inbox to one of his local folders … if I select in my inbox an e-mail which is part of a conversation, and I ‘open’ that conversation, should my inbox then suddenly also show the e-mails from that conversation which I had already moved to other folders?

And what if I select an e-mail in a local folder and try to open that ‘conversation’ … should then suddenly the e-mails from that conversation which are still in my inbox be shown in my local folder?

I guess there will be more pitfalls, otherwise it would probably already be implemented.

@Hans,

When you mention a “completely different control” you make a treeview sound like an overly complicated task, but in terms of UI Design only, well it really isn’t that hard. Those UI changes shouldn’t be barrier for any professional developer  (I know this because I’ve been developing for more than a decade). 

The grouping logic questions you mention are very interesting indeed.   My answer would suggest to simply imitate how Outlook 2013 handles grouping.  If you have one  message located in your inbox and the rest of the messages are in local folders, then your inbox would show that message plus all the other ones located locally (received & sent of course).   Outlook handles this particularly well by showing the name of the folder below every message, in this case “Inbox” or “Personal folder”.   Messages already located in local folders would be slightly grayed out meaning you can’t move them from inbox because they’re already located in a local folder.   Outlook doesn’t have problems grouping mixed messages from online and offline folders, and EM Client shouldn’t either.

And yes, the same would apply when you select a message in a local folder.  You click on it and the whole conversation would be available, including messages located in inbox.   I work like this with Outlook every day at my job, and it really helps me handle conversations that sometimes have around 50 messages in it (received & sent).

We have to remember that people are not filing their mails in folders the way they used to do some years ago, it’s like we switched from a folder-tree oriented mail, to a conversation oriented mail.   The main focus is not the folder where you save the message anymore, it’s the grouping.   I learned to work this way several years ago and it proved to be incredibly efficient for me, and with all the requests from other users, I believe I speak for several others as-well.

Now, I understand that there will always be pitfalls, details and lots of programming hours to execute. But should those pitfalls take 3+ years to resolve?    That’s unacceptable.   As I said before, several other Desktop clients have implemented this years ago.

Regards.

Hi McClausky,

I’ve also been developing Windows software for more than a decade: nice to meet a fellow programmer! :slight_smile:

Actually I still do move e-mails to project related folders, based on ‘Getting Things Done’ and based on a report called “8 Simple Tips for E-Mail Management in Microsoft Outlook” from http://www.standss.com/default.htm

I have almost never the need for a ‘conversational view’, but as I already wrote, I can well imagine that other people would like to have that option.

I just can’t understand why it takes so long to develop that feature. Other programs have this since years

The problem is poor expectation management.  It’s understandable that development may run into problems/delays, but professionals do not say a feature is going to be available at a specific time or in a specific version & then fail to deliver.  That is simply poor customer service…ridiculously poor customer service.  If you are not sure when something will be delivered, DO NOT MENTION A SPECIFIC TIME FRAME.  Even worse, do not REPEATEDLY offer a specific time frame and then REPEATEDLY fail to deliver.  In addition to this poor expectation management, the integration of Yahoo chat in the chat function is non-existent…even though the option & setup still exist.  It would be one thing if it were a bug that were in remediation, 

I really like what em client offers but will have to go back to outlook 2013 till they update the conversation view.  That is a must feature that I am having a hard time living without.  Sorry em client.  I hope you can update quickly before everyone else does around you.  You  are definitely are on the right path to destroy the competition.  

I started to move from Thunderbird to EM Client but when I realised that there’s no conversation view I went back to Thunderbird. I’m so used to having a conversation view that I simply cannot / don’t want to live without it anymore.
Would be extemly nice to see this feature as soon as possible implemented in EM Client because that’s the only thing I miss and what makes it a no-go for me.

Unfortunately I have bad news for you.    A couple of weeks ago I received a marketing mail from EMClient offering me the Pro licence for just $24.90.   I thought it was a great deal, so I replied asking if this Pro version would include Conversation View, and the product manager replied:

Conversation view is now under the development process and will be ready in version 7 which will be introduced during the Q1 of 2015.

So…  2015,  how 'bout that.

Sad part is the said that about 5 and 6 as well. Em client is a well rounded clean and user friendly interface that I really wanted to make work. Without the conversation view though it is not enough. If they can include that I would be willing to pay.

Hi Christopher, thank you for your input on this. Conversation view is currently one of the top priorities for future releases.
Thank you for your patience and your interest in this particular feature, we’re working on it!

Regards,
Paul.

Seems like I’ll have to do something I’m not very good at … be patient and wait. I’ll stick with Thunderbird in the meantime and be back when conversation view is finally implemented. Until then!