Feedback on pro version - why I'm going back to Windows Mail

I initially bought EM-client to replace Mail on Windows as Mail had a bug when adding multiple Google accounts at the time on one of my machines. I use 3 Google accounts - all paid company accounts.

EM client was easy to set up with these, but some annoyances which the developers appear to be ignoring, or making excuses for, have caused me to return to Mail (which seems to have had a bug fix for my initial issue).

1. Downloading/viewing attachments in EM client is excruciatingly slow compared to any other email client I’ve ever used. Attached images are often not even shown in the client and the top right drop down menu must be used to slowly download them to a folder for viewing. I’ve seen a developer (I assume) explain this is a “server issue”, Yeah. This is on a very high-end gaming PC, on a 520Mb/sec internet connection by the way. The decoding is obviously the issue here, not the download.

2. This is the biggest issue: Calendar notifications randomly start appearing for events from long in the past. This is ridiculous and completely useless. I assume it’s because I use multiple machines, and so if I haven’t accepted or dismissed an old event in EM client, it decides to show them. It’s not even consistent - some days it won’t show any, and others will randomly show 10 in a row from last year. Again, this has been raised by multiple people, with nothing but silence from the dev(s). Is it really that hard to prevent events that have already ended, from appearing in reminder notifications?

Anyway good luck and I hope these problems are actually addressed at some point for other users.

Downloading/viewing attachments in EM client is excruciatingly slow compared to any other email client I’ve ever used. Attached images are often not even shown in the client and the top right drop down menu must be used to slowly download them to a folder for viewing.

When you first add an eg: IMAP, Exchange, iCloud type account, eM Client can take a little time before all the mail is cached locally in the client depending on the size of your cloud mailbox. However once all the email headers are read and cached locally, existing mail should read within a few seconds.

Obviously new mail will allways take slightly longer to read the first time you click them as you are reading it remotely and its not cached locally yet. You can however speed up the process if you prefer by setting eM Client to download messages for offline use.

To download messages for offline use using eg: eM Client for Windows & an IMAP acct, click “Menu / Accounts” and then “click on your email account on the left” and finally “click the IMAP Tab” along the top" and then you will the “Sync Options” check box at the bottom to d/l messages for offline use etc.

See Example IMAP Gmail account in eM Client below to enable downloading messages offline.

Attached images are often not even shown in the client and the top right drop down menu must be used to slowly download them to a folder for viewing.

Can you do an example screenshot in this thread of where the attached image is not shown in eM Client and “what you click on in eM Client” to download it to a folder as you mentioned.

Calendar notifications randomly start appearing for events from long in the past. This is ridiculous and completely useless. I assume it’s because I use multiple machines, and so if I haven’t accepted or dismissed an old event in EM client, it decides to show them.

Yes if you run multiple computers with eM Client, you will normally see notifications on each client which you will need to dismiss. From memory though i think if you “wait a little time”, the notifications do dissapear once eM Client has synched with the cloud mailbox when i tested multiple same acct logins.

You can however also disable Calendar notifications completely if you choose. See thread below.

How to disable event notifications? - eM Client

Screenshot of email client not displaying images unless drop down is used to save them. Note that the attachments in the image were not shown at all in the window until after saving. It was just blank, and remained blank for several minutes until I manually saved using the drop-down.

This is not an issue with downloading large images, as the total size was around 4MB, and my internet connection can download around 4GB a minute (I understand that MIME encoding uses more space in the email data, but it’s still far from that much). The problem is in the decoding, which is very, very slow. I opened Mail for Windows and the exact same email displayed all the images almost instantly.

The issue with reminders is not solved by “turning off all reminders”. I WANT reminders for upcoming events - that’s kind of the point of a calendar. However, I suspect most people don’t want notifications like “Meeting with Fred, 9:00, 14 April 2021” randomly appearing in 2022…

If the images (are inline) and not showing / displaying in the email, you just need to allow eM Client to access images automatically when viewing emails. By default images are blocked for Privacy reasons.

If you click “Menu / Settings / Mail / Privacy” you will see an option to "display unsafe content in all messages” which will then automatically download pictures & content without prompting you.

You can optionally setup a whitelist to only allow images in emails you choose. See eM Client Support page below on External & Other Content in Privacy Settings.

External Images and Other Content | eM Client | eM Client

If you have already enabled images to download either automatically or via a whitelist in the Privacy settings, and you don’t see them in the email, it could be the “type of images” or “a very large resolution” which are taking along time. Need to then know the type of image & resolution of the images.

Thanks, I’m actually an electronics engineer, and software/firmware developer - I’m kind of familiar with “types of images” and “very large resolutions” :rofl: These are standard jpegs from an iPhone. There seems to be a trend of blaming problems on something other than the email client for some reason when only this email client is exhibiting problems. I had already whitelisted that account (I actually sent the images from myself on another gmail account). This was only a minor gripe though - the bug causing reminders from months ago, that’s been completely ignored was more of a driving factor for me as I need a reliable calendar. Anyway, I have already uninstalled eM client, and returned to Windows Mail, so it’s not really an issue any longer! Thanks.

Can’t comment on the images but I agree 100% about the calendar comment. I use 2x computers. One of them I only turn on occasionally and I too am fed-up getting dozens of past reminders that have already been dismissed on my main computer. It expect it could be fixed if the developers wanted to fix it. These calendar entries are not on a local calendar they are in the cloud so there must be a way of emClient to somehow delay the checking of outstanding reminders until the sync has taken place (in my case with Google Calendar) or an option to say how old a reminder needs to be before it is ignored (say 1 week overdue). It also throws an error if It is an old calendar entry that has since been deleted. Its clunky at best. Even if they were to do something about not getting a dozen tunes (dings) in a row might help. One reminder tune at the end of the calendar sync cycle would suffice to say there are one or more reminders. Not 12 for 12 events that are a month old. Surely the logic would be “If an event is past the end time + (say) 1 hour then don’t remind for it at all. If its an all day event then if the event is (say) more than 1 day past the event day then don’t remind at all”. Just no point reminding for an event that is no longer an active event right? It’s a fake reminder - it’s spam!!

These are standard jpegs from an iPhone. There seems to be a trend of blaming problems on something other than the email client for some reason when only this email client is exhibiting problems.

The only issues I’ve know of with images not displaying in the body of the email and only show as attachments is with sender’s who use eg: Mac Mail or iOS Mail where eM Client “is looking at a workaround” to display them due to the way Apple program their mailers that’s different to most mailers.

This was only a minor gripe though - the bug causing reminders from months ago, that’s been completely ignored was more of a driving factor for me as I need a reliable calendar

eM Client on Mac and PC and its surposed to bring up reminders for old calendar events as well as new, where you do “need to dismiss them” or they will come back. Dismissing them on another device like a eg: mobile phone linked to the same iMAP, iCloud, Exchange account doesn’t tell eM Client to also automatically dismiss those same reminders the next time it syncs as “each device is separate”, and needs to be dismissed manually to not show in the client again.

The only thing you can do (if you don’t want to dismiss past events) is as @Gary advised in another thread article is disable the past calendar event reminders in the Calendar. Maybe one-day there maybe a way for mail clients like eM Client to know if another cloud device has already dismissed it.

“Calender reminder/notification keeps popping up even if event is from past”

https://forum.emclient.com/t/calender-reminder-notification-keeps-popping-up-even-if-event-is-from-past/73950

“Quote”

Gary

Sep '21
"Go to the Calendar section of eM Client and switch to the Agenda view. You will see the icon on the toolbar after Day - Week - Month.

Uncheck “Hide Past” option by clicking on that icon. You should be able to see all your past events.

Select all events for which you want to dismiss notifications.

Open context menu by right clicking any of selected events and chose Reminder > No Reminder

You will no longer get reminders from past events"

Note:- If you have dismissed an old or new calendar event and it keeps appearing, then (update the above thread) link with what the account type is and what version of eM Client it is.

Ps I personally have used the latest Mac and PC versions and once I dismiss IMAP & Exchange cloud event reminders they don’t come back.