Emails Received but won't Send

As you could see above there are also machines with Windows 11 and MacOS Ventura affected.

I assume that this whole thing could be a result of the problems which outlook users had due to Microsoft server failures some days ago.

Yes, I mentioned other possibilities as well for other users, as not everyone who is unable to send, has a server issue with the Microsoft provider.

I deleted my account and tried setting it to exchange, which MS rejected. Set it up manually and lost a lot of folders, but got them back from backups, and then it would send emails. Just opened emclient and it’s stopped sending again. Using W10, and dropping the firewall and anti-virus made no change.

If you restored a backup, that will have undone the manual setup you made and reverted to whatever was in the backup, which is probably setup with automatic setup and is using oAuth. You can check that by going to Menu > Accounts. If there is no Authentication section in the General tab, it is not setup manually.

Not sure if you did this already, but you have to set up the exchange account with an App Password, not your normal password. Here’s where to set it:
https://account.live.com/proofs/AppPassword?mkt=en-us

1 Like

Drat! Forgot about that. You were right Gary, there was no ‘authentication’ section under the ‘General’ tab.

So I removed the hotmail account and added it back. My folders seemed intact but it still wouldn’t send. I checked the account again, and noticed under the IMAP and SMTP tabs, that under ‘authentication’, it had ‘Use identity credentials’ ticked. So I thought I may as well try changing them to ‘Use these credentials’ in both of them to see if that helped. I can now send emails again. I’m back in business!

I suppose that problem will be solved “by itself” after some time. According to your previous experience, how long could it take until the problem is solved?

Hello,

When I try send an Outlook(Hotmail) Email using Em Client it gets stuck in the Outbox and I get a message that says…Send Operation Failed With Errors.

Re installing Em Client did not fix the problem.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

@Ajdin995

I suppose that problem will be solved “by itself” after some time. According to your previous experience, how long could it take until the problem is solved?

There is no way to know how long it will take to fix at the Microsoft end. It just all of a sudden started to work last time one day.

All you can do for now is use either of the alt mail setup methods mentioned above by @Gary and myself. I know it’s a pain removing and re-adding accounts but there is no way around it atm.

Ps For my own my Live.com & Outlook.com personal accounts when Microsoft had this SMTP problem previously, (I never went back to the automatic wizard setups again) even when it was resolved and just stuck with the alt manual setups.

I had the same problem. My first attempt at removing and then re-adding my Outlook account failed to make any difference, apparently because I was trying to pick “Outlook.com” as the new account name in lieu of “Exchange”. Once I corrected that I could then send messages again. Thanks!

I too have now got the same problem. I did send one email this morning but then ten minutes later I tried to send and email and it just stayed in the Outbox with a red 1 to the right of it.

I uninstalled and reinstalled but the same thing is happening. Will not send.

I was considering the pro version but now am too gun-shy. Will stick with Outlook live for now.

One thing I don’t like about EM is that there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to email customer support. that is a red flag for me.

I tried the exchange thingy written above but that did nothing but add another account to EM and neither of them SEND.

I will wait a day or two and then uninstall for good.

@mwsheeler

One thing I don’t like about EM is that there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to email customer support. that is a red flag for me.

If you purchase the Pro version, you get 1 Year of VIP Support. See link and information below.

Support | Remote Assistance | License Manager | eM Client

Enterprise Online

Support Center

When you purchase any PRO license, Upgrade or Lifetime upgrades, you receive a 1-year VIP Support subscription. With this subscription you get access to the online support center, where you can send in your issue reports or questions and a support engineer will be assigned to assist you.

When the subscription runs out, you can extend it here.

It works for me on MacBookPro and Ventura 13.1. I deleted my outlook.com accounts and added them as Exchange. So far so good. It works fine again. I can send e-mails again! Many thanks!

I just updated to Windows 11. It worked fine before the update with Windows 10, now I can receive but not send.

Do you think these changes caused these problems ? Deprecation of Basic authentication in Exchange Online | Microsoft Learn

@Ajdin995

Do you think these changes caused these problems ? [Deprecation of Basic authentication in Exchange Online | Microsoft Learn ]

No as eM Client was already supporting the new OAuth 2 token standard in the automatic email wizard setup for alongtime, and is just something to do with the MS SMTP global servers (again) that is failing to send for some reason.

As an amateur, I prefer not to chance creating more problems by trying the suggested work-around. I’m now operating as follows whilst I wait for eMC and MS to get the problem resolved between them.

I compile my new or reply email in eMC on my desktop as before - complete with any attachments - and then press Menu/Save to move it into Drafts.

That makes it also appear in Drafts in my iPad’s MS app (and in MS Outlook webmail), so I ‘Open’ and ‘Send’ from there.

It then shows as Sent in eMC on the desktop, so all ends as it should for just a couple of minutes inconvenience.

1 Like

Okay Gary …that is great!

Will EMC provide a mesage to indicate when this has been rectified or will it be up to the users to just keep trying over & over again?

Thank you!

viernes 03 febrero 2023 :: 2041hrs (UTC +0100)

To be absolutely clear. here is the link again to the eMC solution:

Cannot send emails for Outlook.com accounts - Authentication aborted - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software

Also there is the possibility that Microsoft could consider that the issue is for eMC to resolve within their program - so with the “work around” in place perhaps it might be safer to wait and see, in other words if all works well simply accept what you have.

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like