eM Client was not closed correctly

When I reboot or shut down my PC all program regularly exit on their own, I can shut down my PC with many open program. You mean that I have to manually close em Client before shut down?
No other program require this.

@noisydump Yes you should close EM Client manually (before shutdown) or you will normally get error checking on re-opening the program after restart.

Ps I personally wait about 5 secs after i close EM Client before i shutdown my computer.

domingo 11 octubre 2020 :: 0914hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @noisydump

I absolutely agree with @cyberzork, in fact I don’t just close eMC, I manually close everything that I have running including clearing the cache on however many browsers I have running, I only shutdown once per week, then shutdown on my personal computers automatically triggers a full system backup; I also run a daily timed incremental backup. Before I gave up working full time, my son now runs the company, I had this routine implemented across my company, with slight differences, on approximately 150 computers, laptops, desktops plus servers, I now only visit the head office and one other branch office once a month. There is also a disaster recovery contract in place.
In the electronic age you cannot be too careful and because of the lax attitude and need for digital security of others, usually after the event in this respect, the company has almost more work than it can reasonably handle without further expansion.
I hope you have eMC set to make a daily backup, mine is set for 1900hrs Frequency: 1 day and Preserve last: 5 backups,

¡Saludos desde la soleada España!

Skybat

[email protected]

That’s funny, so you manually close all your program, clear cache, make a system backup, etc etc, so before shutdown you have to wait 15/20 minutes?
Doing so is very productive, for 150 PC was about 50 hours per week you spend to this procedure.

In my company we have all procedure for regularly backup and disaster recovery for PC and server, it’s more than enough to manage all events.

No one could make me believe that is normal to be forced to close a program before shutdown, this is simply a program bug. We develop applications for desktop and mobile and none of them require you to manually close the program to avoid problem like the one eM Client has.

In any case I wrote the first post to verify if this problem is in process of resolution, this thread was first opened on Feb 17, and now I have the response.

Regards.

1 Like

domingo 11 octubre 2020 :: 1146hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @noisydump

I note what you say, however, I do not propose to continue with this. I am not employed by or have any connection with eMC other than as a very happy and satisfied user - I have never had any issues with eMC; though it does have it’s idiosyncrasies.
Your time calculation hypothesis is flawed as is your assertion concerning the length of time for a response.

¡Saludos desde la soleada España!

Skybat

[email protected]

I am trying out the free version as a trial, and have the same problem. None of my other programs corrupt their database when I reboot my computer. If eM Client blocked Windows from restarting until it has gracefully exited, this would not occur. This doesn’t sound that hard to implement, I wonder why it has not been added?

In another thread there was some discussion that enabling empty trash on exit delayed the application from closing timely. I put up a poll, but the results were not convincing as overwhelming proof.

Maybe you could check if you have this option enabled, and if you do, disable it and see if there is any improvement.

Delete on exit is already disabled for me. I have several large mailboxes, and wonder if it just isn’t able to close down cleanly before Windows shuts down the computer.

By comparison, if I open up Notepad and type in some text without saving, Windows will prompt me that Notepad is preventing the computer from shutting down. Or Outlook will block the computer from shutting down until it has closed gracefully. Isn’t that just what needs to be added here?

There is also some SQL database cleanup that takes place, probably by the background process that starts immediately after the main application has closed. If that cleanup is not completed you will get a database check on the next start of eM Client.

How to prevent Windows from closing during that process? I guess that is something to ask the eM Client developers, but we are all just regular users here. :smirk:

I find the behaviour can be avoided if eM Client is not minimised to the tray and so isn’t running in the background when Windows closes. I prefer to have it running in the background though, so that I’m informed when an email arrives.

To avoid the database checks on startup, I exit eM Client via the tray. (right-click > Exit) and count to five before closing the computer down. It takes about that long for eM Client to disappear from Task Manager after ‘Exit’ is clicked. The program seems happy with this and doesn’t need to run any checks on Windows startup.

I have to say though that even if I don’t bother doing that (or forget), nothing detrimental ever happens because eM Client has to check the database before opening when Windows starts, Maybe if a cure is possible, it would have to come via somehow avoiding the shutdown delay in Task Manager.

2 Likes

Yes, this was a common solution back in version 7 when more users had this problem.

If the application detects it was not previously shut down properly, it will check the data for any inconsistencies. So that safety net is there and everything should be fine as long as the user does not cancel the database check.

I have the same issue. Windows 10 Pro, Windows Defender, 2 SSDs, 32GB RAM.

When Windows updates, or when I restart my computer. emClient goes through the process of checking databases. This has been going on for some time.

On two occasions, I wound up uninstalling and reinstalling emClient.

Hi,
My experience is that I have to exit eM from the quick start menu, not just close as this merely minimizes to the task bar. I then have to wait approximately 2 minutes to allow eM do its thing with its data base before switching off my pc. This allows the programme start without delay on reboot. Noe I admit to often forgetting to exit and have to suffer a tiny delay, of perhaps 60 to 90 seconds while eM helps me by checking the data base for errors. My security suite and vpn cause longer start up delays. I find some of the complaints about eM rather strange and wonder have some simply gotten comfortable with their previous e mail client. I had used Thunderbird for many years and loved it. Unfortunately such as sky mail, yahoo and gmail began denying it access for, according to them, security reasons. I found the switch to eM daunting as I had become comfortable with Thunderbird.

hitbit

I also experience the same problem of a database check whenever I restart my computer. Version 8.2.1473 on Win10. Sigh…

I’m using Windows Security… current version. And this database corruption happens EVERY time I reboot or start cold.

It seems eM have known about this and been working on it since at least 2017.

Not impressed!

You have had my money in return for which working software is a reasonable expectation.

Please show more signs of progress that have been visible to date.

(Win 10 21H1 and Kaspersky Internet Security)

The issue could be with your OS forcibly closing eM Client on shutdown.

As a test, close eM Client. To confirm it is closed, check in the Task Manager, including background processes. This is a control, so you can see if you have closed it, rather than your OS.

Restart Windows.

Do you get a database check?

Interestingly I’ve found since using eM Client V8.2.1509 on Windows V21H1 with the latest patches, I can now “Minimize to tray” or "Close to Tray and “Shutdown Normally” and (no longer) get any checking data errors on startup. Tested on two stock Windows 10 pcs and no issues.

I have gotten this error every single time for years. Whether or not I shut down the computer makes no difference. If I only close eM Client and leave everything else running, I still get the error.

@tgallag

I have gotten this error every single time for years. Whether or not I shut down the computer makes no difference. If I only close eM Client and leave everything else running, I still get the error.

If you are closing eM Client and “waiting a few seconds” before reopening the program and still getting checking for errors on startup, then that would suggest your mail database is still corrupted somewhere and has not been 100% repaired so just keeps popping up to check for errors all the time.

So would next suggest if you have an eg: IMAP, Exchange, Office 365 or iCloud (Non POP) type account, to remove your account in eM Client and re-add as new via either the automatic email wizard or manual option depending on your specific server requirements. That normally will fix that.

If you have a POP account, then create a folder called eg: Old Mail down in “Local Folders” at the bottom left of eM Client, and then drag / move all your POP messages and folders under Old Mail. Once you are certain they are all there, remove your account and re-add as new. Then drag / move all your old mail and folders back up to your new POP account.

Note:- Before removing your account, backup eM Client via "Menu / Backup. You can see when the backup is complete via “Menu / Operations”.

If that still doesn’t fix it, close eM Client and uninstall the program and “Don’t delete the database” when asked on uninstall. Then re-download eM Client from the Release History Page and reinstall.

Next if that still doesn’t fix it make sure you are using the latest V8.x or 9.x from the Release History Page link above depending on what your license provides. Could be you have an older version of eM Client that needs updating.

Also do all your OS Security patches and updates. If you have Windows 10/11 (22H2) is the latest update. If you have Mac suggest you have updated to “Monterey OS”. Both work fine for me.

Lastly if still a problem, then you have “some other program installed locally on your computer” on startup which is interfering with eM Client in some way. So you would next need to next to troubleshoot your computer by eg: Disabling all background non os tasks and reboot so you have a normal os startup. Then try eM Client again. That should normally fix it. You then enable those background / startup programs one at a time and reboot in between till you find what program is interfering.