eM Client 5 Release Candidate #2

you know what’s funny? they went OUT OF THEIR WAY to remove this based on a REALLY stupid reason. it would have taken LESS EFFORT to have left this implemented and to work on some of the myriad of other bugs instead.

let me reiterate:

they WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY to HANDICAP this feature for NO GOOD REASON. OUT OF THEIR WAY!!!

Yes, seems true, sadly. The Contacts button on the left panel produces what looks like a useful screen. But then unexpectedly, clicking on a specific contact doesn’t produce a To composing window but rather an “edit the person” window, which should be a context right-click choice instead. Even a right-click on a contact doesn’t produce a Compose To choice… DOH!

So, I’m very new to the eM Client, so maybe I’m just not ‘getting’ it. Suppose I’m sitting here and I want to send a fresh email, not a Reply or FWD. And say I have 200 people in my Contacts list. Just going to NEW message and starting typing in the To field, say Da, produces a predictive list of contacts. I can either keep typing in the To to narrow it down, or I can mouse to pick one of the predictive choices. Not too bad, admittedly, but wouldn’t it be better to have a single-click pick from the whole contact list? Eudora had that since the mid-nineties if not before. In fact, Eudora has a lot more. Check this:
http://home.comcast.net/~henerey/eudo…
So, New Message To is just one choice. There’s Forward To, Redirect To (look it up), and all the “With” choices are for Stationery.
What I want is a MODERN client like eM but with the functionality of Eudora messaging.

I am using using version v5.0.16979, and I am still having issues with the calendar reminder popups. When a reminder pops up, I select snooze for 30 minutes (for example) and as soon as the window is closed, it pops up again. It will keep doing this until I press the dismiss option. Also, I am getting the popups days in advance of when they are scheduled in spite of being set to remind 1 hour in advance. I am using Google calendar.

Thanks, Ed

haha, no shockers here:

https://discourse.emclient.com/emclient/to…

i also use google calendars. i havent had an appointment i needed to snooze recently, so i can’t confirm that this is happening in this beta. but it still doesn’t shock me it’s still happening!

Since I’m one of the many who also like the feature, please vote here to bring back the side-bar (https://discourse.emclient.com/emclient/to…)

1. It a plain text signature, nothing fancy. But I’ll mail it to you.

2. Yes there is always a line. But when you start typing in the Beta, it would automatically insert another line. In this release candidate, it doesn’t.

3. I’ll see what I can do about the logs, but it not particular event that giving the problem, it the calendar that has mass individual entries (non-repeat/occurance), about 1100+ entries.

4. The log are too big for e-mail. It not doing anything wrong, I think it a design flaw. Despite the mail have being download already, it feels like eM still copy the mail from IMAP to my Local Folder instead of using the cache in the database.

5. Yes, in the mail header under the Sent folder.

6. Will do.

Version 16979 contains a fix only for newly accepted events. The only way how to get rid off those reminders is to login to your Gmail account in a browser and disable the problematic reminders manually.

Hello Nigel,
I have now read you previous comment. The feature that is being removed is the ability to have the list of all your contacts in one of the sidebar boxes. Now that box will be named “Chat” and will only contain contacts from your instant messaging accounts.

What you describe in the previous comment is the Contact Details’ communication history, which shows all emails & other items from the contact who sent you the currently selected email. This feature will remain and hasn’t changed.

Hope this helps.

The hits just keep on coming.

Since you removed the contact sidebar (which simply could have been detached from the chat sidebar and kept as a separate sidebar and everyone would have been happy but you decided instead to irritate people purposefully), i’ve been forced to use the “control+b” contacts list.

the thing is, i dont use “all the contacts”. i use a sublist of my contacts called “my contacts”.

it’s in orange. one of the WORST colors for trying to read text in. so now, not ONLY am i GRIEVOUSLY and UNNECESSARILY inconvenienced by the removal of a great feature that no one asked to be removed, now i have a TERRIBLE time trying to read all my contacts because of thee extremely poor contrast in the text.

you guys have really really gone out of your way to screw this up when all you needed to do was leave it AS IT WAS!

You can change the category colors as desired. Go to the contacts page, then Tools>Categories, then right-click on My Contacts, then Edit.

Aaron, below, mentioned “forced to use the “control+b” contacts list”, which I didn’t know about. Trying it, hmm, there it is, “Send Message” on a Contact’s right-click. Yay. So then I decided to re-visit the main Contacts button, and
yay there it is too, “Send Message” on a Contact’s right-click. I must have been asleep to not see this before.

“newly accepted events”? Could you explain this? The items that are poping up are future reminders for items that are not suppose to popup for another week or so. So, I have the popup window sitting open for the last week as I do not want to Dismiss items that I want to be reminded of next week. Make sense?

Hi, I was excited to see that Release 2 of v5 was available. I downloaded setup.msi. Norton Internet Security however removed it as it found WS.Reputation.1. When I looked that up on Norton’s site it said they deleted it because it had a low or unknown reputation. Do you need to contact them?

Thank you

Items showed in the side panel (Agenda) should be picked from the same calendars selected when entering the Calendar view…

As a Live Mail user I have been watching eM Client for some while now and I am happy to learn that the new release will feature Hotmail/Live Mail/Outlook.com support. It does not seem to synchronize the calender though. Too bad. As soon as this is implemented I am ready to switch.

By the way: The German translation is still very inconsistent and faulty. A careful revision would be nice.

Based on the comment from MARK (with periods), the missing Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com calendar is something that I hope is in the final release or the forth coming update. However, at the present time (which has been reported and is being worked), not all emails are being downloaded to eM client for this release. I am still working the MS Outlook and the web and seeing that these three type accounts are not always in sync between eM Client and MS Outlook and the web to be honest.

Hopefully, eM Support can make a comment as to when this update or release will be generally available to the users of eM Client.

I had a serious issue today with emClient 5.0 RC2 - I found some emails in my gmail junk folder and dragged them into the Inbox and I lost several of them. They are completely lost. Gmail doesn’t even see any trace of them anymore. Should there be a confirmation?

It was only 11 days ago when I first installed eMC v4, and without any prompt from me, as soon as I finished setting up my Gmail account on it, the program unexpectedly downloaded 30000 emails. I didn’t want that, wish I culd have told it how many days to get, I already had the 30000 in Eudora. So, I deleted them in v4. After going through this deleting, then visiting Gmail on the web, I still had all my messages there. That was what I wanted, a remote cloud copy. Then, after a few days I had gotten around 200 Gmails - POP’d into eMC. All was good. Then I installed eMC v5RC2. It showed the same downloaded messages.

But then I revisited Gmail on the web and saw I only had around 200 in my InBox, not the 30000. What!? I searched the web for news of a new Gmail glitch, mail going missing. Nothing. But I found he missing messages were in the Gmail Trash! I just finished moving them back to the InBox. Now, I couldn’t swear it was eMC v5RC2 that caused this. But maybe. I checked my Gmail Settings and found that from several years ago I had IMAP turned on, even though I never used it. Perhaps the eMC “sync” combined with IMAP “noticed” I had deleted my local copies and sent Gmail a toggle to Trash them? Btw, I’ve turned off IMAP now.

IF this is what happened, I wonder why v4 didn’t also cause it. Did v5 ship with some default toggle changed? I never fiddled with either version’s sync settings.

Further, IF this is what happened to my Gmail, I suggest programming in a user alert, “With your current settings if you delete these emails they will also be moved to the Gmail Trash.”

Thanks for this, Libor. If that’s the case, maybe I will try the update, although I think I could usefully wait till it’s officially released - I don’t like entrusting my very important files, like email, to beta software.