Delete unwanted email addresses suggestions

When typing and address in the “To:” box of a new email, eM Client presents a drop down list of suggested compatible addresses. Some of these are old and no longer correct and are no longer in my Contacts information. I see no way to delete the incorrect information. I have tried, as suggested in another conversation, to “Clear recipient history” under Tools>Settings>Mail>Compose>[Recipient History]. This does not accomplish anything that I can see. Any suggestions? Any help? Thanks, NHG

Hello Norman, clearing the recipients history should allow you to remove the old addresses that have been cached by eM Client, you can also use the option “show recipients to review the cache”, if this doesn’t help, make sure these contacts are not saved within one of your contacts folder as if there are no recipients included in the recipients window, the contact has to be saved in one of your contacts folders.

Cached recipients should also show a red cross in the dropdown which also allows you to clear the recipient from the eM Client cache/database.

Regards,

Thanks for your reply, Paul. I have repeatedly “Cleared recipient history” and my “Recipient History Cache” is empty. I have done a search of my entire computer for any incident of the incorrect address and find none. Yet the incorrect address keeps coming up in the drop down options not once but three times. Any other suggestions as to where to go from here?

Thanks again,

NHG

Hello Norman, what mail service are you using with eM Client and what version of eM Client are you currently running on your computer, can you please check the exact release number in Help > About?

Thank you,

Hello again,
I am using Gmail. eM version is 6.0.22344.0

NHG

Hello Norman, unfortunately there’s no other option how to clear the recipients history, the recipients are only saved in the above mentioned cache which you can clear from the application settings, all other contacts displayed by auto-complete while composing a new message are fetched from your Contacts folder.

Only other case would be a Global Address Book, which is usually located on your mail server and is shared for all users on domain, if however you’re using a public Gmail account, you don’t have this feature available, thus my best suggestion would be clearing your Contacts folder.

Regards,

Here is the answer from one who was unwilling to accept empoyee’s answer.

menu - settings - mail - privacy -show whitelist - delete defunct ones - apply and voila —these are no more.  

This works on those rogues ones what do NOT have an “x” in the To dropbox.

Az

Well done. Kudos!

Amazing!  This was the answer I was looking for.  Thank you!

Another way to change the name, my daughter-in-law’s maiden name kept coming up but her email address was unchanged: Copy the email address to a text editor. Update the name:
“First Last” <[email protected]>
and send a message. Close eM Client and restart, the name will be fixed since it is associated with the email address. I was going crazy since I could not find the cache settings area… However, knowing about this whitelist is extremely helpful, thank you Az!

I just tried this, and it did remove the old email from popping up, however, it also wiped out all of the previous emails from this person, so that when I do a search to find an email from his original email, it no longer comes up. Looks like I just shot myself in the foot with this “fix” because now I can no longer search for old emails using his previous email address.

What I had wanted was to just remove the old email from popping up as a suggestion when creating a new email.

Is there any way I can once again find the emails from his old email address? I did not actually delete the emails.

I have tried these solutions. None of them work for me. I find it incredible that this has not been addressed with a simple fix after all these years!

It depends on where the suggestion comes from. We use your Contacts, the Recipient History, and in 9.2 your Sent messages.

Those suggestions from the Recipient History will have an X to the right, and clicking on the X will remove it from the database. Or you can open the Recipient History in Menu > Settings > Mail > Compose > Recipients History, and delete them there. If you don’t want further suggestions from the Recipients History, you can disable it as well.

If they come from your Contacts, you will need to edit the contacts and change or delete it there.

If they come from your Sent messages, you could delete the sent messages, or wait for the next release which will allow you to disable suggestions from Sent messages.

1 Like

Thanks for chiming in Gary - but again, this is much to complicated from a User Experience standpoint. It can be a disaster waiting to happen - and it did: last week, I had an old email suggestion come up that sent an important email to the wrong person.

Recipient History… Contacts … Sent Messages … As an end user, I really don’t care *where the suggestion comes from - I just want to DELETE them ALL and be able to start fresh when needed.

The whole point of having an integrated email/contacts/calendar suite is so that the entire thing works together flawlessly, easily and smoothly. This feature still does not - and for the record, I do not get any “red X” to click and remove from the database.

EM Client should have ONE button to delete ALL sources of email address suggestions - potentially with sub-options if the user wants to micro-manage.

My two cents…

1 Like

When I enter an email address and it pops up the suggestions, it shows old/obsolete addresses that aren’t in my contacts file. I don’t want to see these. I only want to see suggestions from the contacts file. How do I get rid of the old/unused/obsolete address that are popping up? I have cleared the recipients history and turned off store composed mail recipients. It’s like EMCLIENT has gone through my ancient archived emails and ferreted out all email address it could find.

I am on 9.2.1222. When I enter an address in the TO: field dozens of obsolete addresses show up. There is no “X” to delete them. Going to Settings>Mail>Compose>Show Recipients shows no addresses. Clear History does not help.

Since going to V 9.2 I have sent emails to dozens of the wrong people. Please expedite the fix for this “feature” ASAP! Thanks!

Since the fix for this issue may be a while, does anybody know where the old/unwanted addresses are stored, such that they can be deleted? They are not in the “Recipients History” collection. I now have to spend extra time on each email to insure I have selected the correct address. I’m looking for a work-around".

As far as i’m aware, you cannot manually delete them outside of the program. The only option currently i know of (to not allow sent email addresses to be suggested) would be to eg: install an older version of eM Client and restore the matching older database. Otherwise you have to wait for the next version which will have the option within the program settings to disable that as @Gary advised earlier above.

I’m wondering why the circled option does not turn off showing of non-contact-list addresses.

That option is for the Recipients History only. As I said above, in 9.2 we also offer suggestions from your Sent folder.

The recent version in the Release History will allow you to disable the Sent folder suggestions.

1 Like