Windows 11 update

Got it – fingers crossed it’s a fix. Am so tired of 25+ crashes in a day ! Thanks for posting this.

definitely not fixed with insider

i deleted the gmail accounts and set the message time to 1 day to see if it was a database issue

I would suggest then to backup all your files and image / ghost your computer and do either a “new profile” incase your current profile is corrupted or “a clean install” of the Insider version and see if that fixes the problem. Failing that you may need to wait till Microsoft officially release V 22H2 later in the year.

You could also try upgrading to the latest version of eM Client just come out today V9.1.2053 for Windows and Mac via the version history page. Ive run it on Windows 10 and 11 and Mac Monterey and works fine and no crashes at all.

Note:- If you do upgrade, backup eM Client first via “Menu / Backup” and you can see when the backup is completed via “Menu / Operations”. Lastly close eM Client before upgrading.

I am going to tentatively say its not crashing, I’m crossing my fingers, i think a lot of this is usually with Gmail IMAP and syncing large amounts of mail in the junk and trash folders, if i get the amount of emails down in folders it generally is way more stable, funny thing is it only affects EM Client, as other applications I have tested do not have this issue.

so far no crashes in this new version

Yeah i think this last update may have fixed everything

1 Like

Since Windows 11, my emclient has become very unstable. So much so that I am considering getting rid of it. Problem is I need to back-up and export to a new client and I can’t do that as it keeps crashing. It has been on “checking for corrupted database” for over an hour, several times this week already, and sometimes in the task bar its their, consuming significant resources but there is no window on screen and I cannot “end task”. I feel like a hostage to it. Its a POS at the moment and as soon as it works enough to back up and export its in the bin.

1 Like

This is most probably a bug with Windows 11 - specifically the UI automation issue which Microsoft are aware of. Until they can fix it you may be able to bypass that part of the OS by running eM Client in Windows 8 compatibility mode. It is not guaranteed, but may allow you to use eM Client until Microsoft can fix the issue.

Gary, thankyou for trying to help, but unless and until Emclient boots up (I’ve been trying since 09:00 this morning - Its either checking corrupt databases for hours or “starting” for hours), I cannot change anything. I would try and remove and re-install but then I would lose several important emails since the last back-up

Latest HELP from emclient morons, was to suggest deleting the program and all of my past 5 years of emails and start again. UNBELIEVABLE

You don’t need to delete the application.

But, as you cancelled the database repair, you probably rendered the database unrepairable. In that case, you have no choice but to delete the database and start again.

Please, for any users who have issues with the database, if eM Client initiates it, DON’T cancel the database repair. Just let it run its course. If the database can be repaired, it will be.

And if it can’t be automatically repaired that way, there will be an error detail at the end of the check that will give the cause. There are instructions to send that to us, and depending on the cause, it may be easily resolved manually. We will send you instructions based on the error details.

2 Likes

And how many hours should i leave the database to repair?

emClient is crashing several times a day, again. The update fix only worked for a short while and now I’m back to constantly getting an error then a crash. Right now I can’t even get into it, it’s crashing during the checking phase.

1 Like

viernes 03 febrero 2023 :: 0648hrs (UTC +0100)

I remember you ran Windows Insider version - what version of Windows do you have now?
Maybe there is a problem here.
I have Windows 10 & 11 Pro and have never had an eMC crash with a stable install

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

Inexperienced? Well, if you consider a beta Windows 3.0 tester and a new user, sure, patronise me all you want. Otherwise, emClient and Windows 11 are not talking to one another properly, and no other application, large or small is having a problem on my machines. Just emClient. And just remember, this is happening in suspend too, so are you suggesting that emClient is not suitable for business and education users who carry notebooks?

1 Like

emClient is crashing several times a day, again. The update fix only worked for a short while and now I’m back to constantly getting an error then a crash. Right now I can’t even get into it, it’s crashing during the checking phase.

I too like @skybat have no crashing with Win 10 or 11 with 22H2 or 22H3 offical release versions so could be you might then have some eg: possible background program running maybe interferring wirh eM CIient causing it to corrupt and crash. Or could be some video or other driver causing it in the OS.

So as eM Client is crashing now on the checking database screen, then sounds like you have a seriously corrupted database and would either have to restore a backed up database when you know it was ok, or if no backups, then you probably will need to remove and readd your accounts and maybe as well uninstall and reinstall the program as well.

So if you have been doing regular eM CIient backups either automatically or manually, first rename your eM CIient hidden database folder to eg: eM CIient-Old which is located at
“C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client”.

Then once renamed, uninstall eM Client and “delete the database when asked”. Then reinstall “the same or later version of eM CIient” from the release history page. “Skip the inital setup” and then restore your latest working dated eM Client backup via “Menu / File / Restore”.

Now if you haven’t been making regular eM CIient backups, then you will more than likely need to setup your accounts as new. Once you then get it working again, then definitely make backups as its simple then to fix is something like that happens again.

As i mentioned previously make sure you are running the latest official release Windows builds snd have them up to date as @skybat advised. Could be something in the windows OS that needs updating.

Also as i mentioned sometimes also background programs csn cause issues wirh mailers and cause corruption. Eg: Optional Firewall / Security programs, Optional Antivirus programs, Optional Malware programs VPNs etc. So a good way to test if there is anything possible running interferring is to eg: disable all non os background tasks on startup and reboot and then see if eM CIient works ok. If it does then you have to enable those background tasks one at a time and reboot inbetween till you find the offending program.

Also make sure you are closing eM CIient before you shutdown Windows to avoid the possibility of getting eM Client corrupted. So if you shutdown in sleep mode, best to allways close eM Client first.

I have found some brand of laptops and desktops work fine wirh eM CIient in power off sleep mode, where other types dont allways. So best to allways close eM CIient before either going into sleep mode or normal shutdown to avoid any possible data corruption in the database. I also wait a couple of seconds or so after shutting down eM CIient.

Lastly reccomend to run the latest eM Client V9.2 or V10 Beta wirh Win 10 & 11 if you are not already.

1 Like

I have posted several times about the crashing of eMC and am always told it is my fault. The biggest issue is the 40 mins repair needed each time. I am also told that eMC usually will not automatically shut down properly when powering down windows. I should power down eMC first, despite all other programs managing to shut cleanly.

So my question is: I the new version of eMC better in this regard? It says the database is bit backwards compatible suggesting some modifications have been made to help in this regard?

I just ordered a the latest dell xps laptop with 2Tb of memory for no other reason really…

No, that is incorrect. eM Client will shut down correctly. What you describe is your OS forcibly and ungracefully terminating eM Client. Because of that the database is left in an useable state, so on the next start, a database check will need to run to recombine the data.

Our databases are not backwards compatible. So if you use 9.2.2157 for example, you can’t use the same database with some older 9.2 versions either. Certainly you can’t use it with version 8.

Sorry, my typo, I meant to write “…the database is NOT backwards compatible suggesting…”. Do we know anything about the new database structure? Is it more stable? Is it able to handle larger database files better? Mine is around 250Gb in site.

We don’t have any size restriction on databases other than the size of your disk. It is the same stable database as always, just our databases aren’t backwards compatible.