Windows 11 - making em Client default email client

In Windows 11, if I choose to set eM client as default during final installation stage, I am taken to the Windows Settings page, which would leave most people no knowing what to do next. This was a simple one-step task in Windows 10. In Windows 11, changing all the required settings is quite a painful exercise, particularly if em Client has never been set as default before.

Can you make easier by either automatically changing Windows 11 defaults (if selected), or at least explain how to do it and list the file types/protocols that need to be set to eM Client?

Can you make easier by either automatically changing Windows 11 defaults

Unfortunately the Windows 11 OS doesn’t normally allow developers to automatically change the default mailer directly, and like Win 10 users are only ever taken to Settings to manually do it. That’s just some Microsoft restriction.

Here is information how to setup default mailer.

“How to setup default mailer Windows 11”

First, open the Settings app by pressing Windows + i key on your keyboard. Or you can right-click the Start button in your taskbar and select “Settings.”

When Settings opens, click “Apps” in the sidebar, and then select “Default Apps.”

In Default Apps, click the search bar and type in the name of the email app you’d like to use as your default. When it appears, click its icon in the list below. (Or you can browse the list of apps and find it.)

On the email app’s “Default Apps” settings page, click the button below “MAILTO.” This configures how Windows will open “mailto:” links that are common in web pages

In the “How do you want to open this” window that pops up, select the email app you want to use as default for “mailto:” links, then click “OK.”

Also if you want to configure the same email client to open EML files (which are email files saved as text files to your computer), you can also click the “.EML” link on the Default Apps page and choose the email app from the list.

1 Like

Well then the em Client installer should provide some guidance for people on how to do it rather than just opening the W11 settings page.

I have both files set up and opening doesn’t work in windows 11 either. Microsoft Outlook opens. The eM Client program reports that it is not Default, but it is set to both MAILTO and the .eml file

Cyberzork’s instructions should work but there is a problem in the eM Client settings.

On my Windows 11 PCs eM Client opens for the following actions successfully:

1. Double clicking on an.eml file

2. Right click a file in File Explorer > Show more options > Send to > Mail recipient

3. Click on an email address in another app such as in a web browser

However, in the eM Client settings, even though eM Client IS actually the default mail handler, it still incorrectly thinks that it is not.

1 Like

@John_A

Yes “as you said” even with the latest eM Client V9.2.2093 set in Default Apps as default for MAILTO & for EML files in Windows 11, eM Client still says “This application is not the default mail handler”.

So does seem like a bug in eM Client as it works as the default, but just never shows that in eM Client.

1 Like

You need to set ALL the options to eM Client. If some of them, except for webcal options, are set to another app, then eM Client is NOT the default.

Note that this option doesn’t work with the MS Store version of eM Client, and the setting will be removed from the MS Store version 10 when it is released.

Hello. I have the same problem with Windows 11. The eM Client program repeatedly reports that it is not the default client even though it is set.
@skybat - when you press Default, only the windows settings window opens

@Gary

You need to set ALL the options to eM Client. If some of them, except for webcal options, are set to another app, then eM Client is NOT the default.

Ok I enabled all the following options now in Win 11 Pro defaults and "finally eM Client says its the default handler :slightly_smiling_face:

Interestingly using Windows 10 eM Client was never available as options for Webcal and Webcals but is available for Windows 11. Must be something diferent in Windows 11 that enabled those fields as well.

Im this but it doesn’t work in windows 11.

P.S. I have Microsoft Outlook installed and it opens in it.

It probably makes no difference on Windows 11 but make sure the following setting is off in Outlook

Otherwise maybe there could be a Registry issue on your PC?

1 Like

@Stasi

Im this but it doesn’t work in windows 11.

P.S. I have Microsoft Outlook installed and it opens in it

Yes agree with @John_A , as you have set all the default options in Win 11 default apps and eM Client “is still not showing the default message handler”, then does sound like Outlook is still associated in your registry to one of the default app settings even though you have set all of them.

So apart from what John has already suggested to check in Outlook, “make sure you have also rebooted after setting those defaults” in Windows as registry changes “don’t allways take affect unless you reboot”.

Now if removing the default check from Outlook and rebooting doesn’t make any differance, then "if you are competent in the registry", open the registry and go to “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT” and check each eM Client Command key for .eml, .ics, .msg, .note, .vcf, .mailto & .webcal . Click on the word “Command” as per the example blue arrows below and make sure eM Client is set to default as in each example below. If any of them are not, you can "right click on the name “Default” on the right and click “Modify” the key. In my Win 11 Pro examples, i have left eM Client on the default C:\ drive paths.

1 Like

@cyberzork I don’t have these options in Windows 11. I don’t have it by program but by extension

And I tested the default settings with Thundebird and everything works as it should.

So it’s a problem with eM Client for Windows 11.

Im: Windows 11 Pro
Verzion: 22H2
Build operation system: 22621.22823
performance: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22662.1000.0

As I already said, this function doesn’t work with the MS Store version of eM Client:

I’m getting this same issue too with Win11 and I’m NOT using a MS Store version.

sábado 25 noviembre 2023 :: 1632hrs (UTC +0400)

It is NOT a bug in eMC, it shows correctly for me and I also have Outlook installed

I have Win11 Pro
Ver:23H2
Build:22631.2715
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22677.1000.0
Maybe upgrade Win11 Pro if you do not have most recent
eMC is 9.2.2157 (5b49542)

skybat

¡Los mejores desde Dubai y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.