Virgin Mail recieves but no longer sends

I haven’t been able to send emails from my Virgin Mail account for almost a week. I can receive them OK and send them from Virgin’s web page, but I cannot send them through emClient as I get a message telling me that emClient is unable to contact the service provider (SMTP error). I have not changed any of the settings that I’ve been successfully using for the last couple of years.

Please can you help

Could be you may have the wrong SMTP Server address , Port or Security Policy

Have you tried the following SMTP Settings from the following thread.

SMTP Server - smtp.virginmedia.com
SMTP Port 465
Security Policy Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)

Yes. I’ve tried that (although I’ve always used the “force usage” option).
My settings are fine.

Either emClient is broken or my service provider’s connection is timing out.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem? VERY annoying.

Either emClient is broken or my service provider’s connection is timing out.

eM Client is not broken. Yes could be your service providor.

Yes. I’ve tried that (although I’ve always used the “force usage” option).
My settings are fine.

Try then with Port 587 and Force use of SSL/TLS

SMTP Server - smtp.virginmedia.com
SMTP Port - 587
Security Policy - Force use of SSL/TLS

Failing that could be a SMTP server problem with Virgin Mail and i would then contact Virgin Mail technical support via phone or website to see if they have any server related issues.

Also click “Show Operations” in the dropdown on the right of refresh and then click the “Log” tab. Then look for any obvious error messages and paste them in this thread.

Lastly if you have any optionally installed eg: Firewall / Security programs, or optionally installed Antivirus programs or VPN’s, try completely disabling those to test incase of any interferance.

Kürzlich gab es einen Beitrag über Virgin Media. Ich weiß nicht mehr genau, wann genau auch Vienna Press berichtete, dass gegen sie in Großbritannien von der Ofcom-Behörde ermittelt wird.
Torsten

1 Like

martes 18 julio 2023 :: 1058hrs (UTC +0100)

Hey @Arthur_ASCII

I posted here about Virgin Media recently, there have been issues though claimed fixed

¡Suerte!

skybat

¡Los mejores desde Sevilla la soleada y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

2 Likes

Tried it all. … Still not working.

my error log is:

11:09:20 Virgin Mail SMTP Connecting: To Virgin Mail
11:09:50 Virgin Mail [SMTP] MailClient.Accounts.SocketException: Connection failed due to the following reason:
“Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond…”
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Connect(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
— End of stack trace from previous location —
at MailClient.Reminders.ReminderManager.TimerSendLaterTrigger(Object sender, ElapsedEventArgs e)
EnqueuedStackTrace =
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.<>c__DisplayClass5_0.b__0()
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline(Action actionIfOnline, Action actionIfOffline)
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.SendAsync(IEnumerable1 items, Action1 sentItem, Action1 completed, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.<>c__DisplayClass84_0.<SendAsync>b__1(ISendAccount1 sendAccount)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.SelectListIterator2.MoveNext() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WhenAll(IEnumerable1 tasks)
at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.SendAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.SendInternalAsync(IAccount account, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.SendAsync(IAccount account, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Reminders.ReminderManager.<>c.b__80_1(IAccount a)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.SelectEnumerableIterator2.MoveNext() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WhenAll(IEnumerable1 tasks)
at MailClient.Reminders.ReminderManager.TimerSendLaterTrigger(Object sender, ElapsedEventArgs e)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
at System.Timers.Timer.MyTimerCallback(Object state)
at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.<>c.<.cctor>b__27_0(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.CallCallback(Boolean isThreadPool)
at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.Fire(Boolean isThreadPool)
at System.Threading.TimerQueue.FireNextTimers()
at System.Threading.TimerQueue.AppDomainTimerCallback(Int32 id)
at System.Threading.UnmanagedThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteUnmanagedThreadPoolWorkItem(IntPtr callback, IntPtr state)
at System.Threading.UnmanagedThreadPoolWorkItem.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.Execute()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading.PortableThreadPool.WorkerThread.WorkerThreadStart()
at System.Threading.Thread.StartCallback()
GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

What version of Windows are you using?

Hi Gary.

Windows 11 Pro

martes 01 agosto 2023 :: 1520hrs (UTC +0100)

Hey @Arthur_ASCII

I posted previously about the Virgin issues.
I just spoke with my friend in the UK, not connected with this issue, but I did ask and he says that SMTP is still a major issue.
He does not want to give up Virgin and has no IMAP or POP issues, though he now uses a 3rd party SMTP service with no problems, I am also aware of this service and we have a number of clients who have used it for several years.
He also has Win 11 though not eMC, to confirm that it works with eMC he gave me his account details to test with eMC; I can confirm that it woks perfectly.
If you are interested here is the link and setup details.

AUTHSMTP

vm_smtp

¡Suerte!

skybat

¡Los mejores desde Gerona Port y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

That is very useful.

Thank you.

Just tried to use this service. Sadly, I received the following reply for a virginmedia address:

The email address you have entered is from a free email provider - unfortunately they have now published a technical policy (SPF) that prevent third party providers such as ourselves from relaying messages from their domain name so the email address cannot be used with our service. We would recommend that you register your own domain name for email purposes rather than using a free email address.

Connection failed due to the following reason:
“Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

This type of error (apart from any Virgin mail server SMTP problems) or (incorrect SMTP settings), can also be related to possibly your SMTP server either “not supporting TLS 1.3” or “having problems with TLS 1.3” which is enabled in Windows 11 by default.

So suggest to “try going back to your original smtp settings which worked for you”, and then try disabling TLS 1.3 in Windows 11 and then see if you can send mail.

To disable TLS 1.3 in Windows 11 click “Right click the Start” button and then click “Run”. Then type in “inetcpl.cpl” and “Enter”.

Then click the “Advanced” tab at the top right of “Internet Properties” and scroll down to the bottom where you will see “TLS 1.2 & 1.3” enabled.

Try “disabling TLS 1.3” and then click “apply & ok”. Then reboot your computer and try sending,

Apart from that “as i mentioned previously” if you have any optionally installed Firewall / Security programs, or Optionally installed Antivirus programs or VPNs, those type of programs can sometimes delay sending mail or cause problems and also give you that type of SMTP Operations error.

Lastly if you have an IMAP, Exchange, Office 365 or iCloud account, “try removing and re-adding your account” (if you haven’t already tried) just incase its possibly corrupted in some way. Also check that your eM Client version is up to date incase you are running and outdated version. You can get all the latest versions of eM Client via the release history page.

Note:- If you do try removing and re-adding your email account or upgrade to a later version, backup first via “Menu / Backup” (Pc) incase you need to restore for any reason. You can see when the backup is complete in “Show Operations” via the dropdown on the right of “Refresh” top left.