Version 6.0.22313.0 Just updated

Hi, I have same problem.
I can’t open my e-mails (booth GMAIL). The others emails stay working.
The program ask me about login always that I close the application.

Tks!

Thanks, this seems to work. Although we will have to see what happens with Google’s change tomorrow

Not the same but similar problems here with Gmail after this update (latest at time of writing). When I finished the update, I was, for some reason, led through the standard set up for Gmail that I suspect is the IMAP setup. This is annoying because it gives Google access to my contacts and eMc access to my Google calendar and I don’t want either of these “features”. So I tried setting up a standard POP/SMTP upload/download of my gmail. The SMTP worked but had the devil’s own job getting POP to work even though it was what I had been using before. But I eventually deleted the Gmail account and set it up again, following Google’s advice for this and re-entering the defaults by hand. It downloaded all my Gmail mail, but now insists on putting all my sent messages in my inbox as well!

Gentlemen (at eM Client): this appears to be a thoroughly botched update. It is time that it got some attention here and perhaps a revised update.

[Oh! And other problems: I tried downloading eM Client from the site and was offered a repair option instead of a complete new install, which I took. But that failed because it was apparently missing a Microsoft file of some kind. So I tried a complete fresh install. This took place suspiciously quickly but the eM C re-opened with most of my email intact, except that it downloaded again the 200 emails that I had deleted before I re-installed. No problem. But what is peculiar is that the eMC icon on my task bar is now blank. I can probably fix that easily enough but it does seem like just one more thing.]

Monday morning 05:00 GMT and it is still working, but I decided that I wanted to apply this fix and get it working before Google does, or does not, do anything today. 

My setup requirements:

1. imap.virginmedia.com for mail receive

2. smtp.gmail.com for mail send

3. calendar/contacts managed by gmail

My steps:

1. Apply eM Client update, confirm the logon problem still exists, it did

2. Delete existing virginmedia and gmail accounts (It promised only to delete local data, which it did)

3. Create new account (automatically) using gmail email address (ignore imap data)

4. Create new account using “Other” for virginmedia mail. (Note: I had to use the Fix option)

5. Set virginmedia to default which only has Mail in it.

6. Change virginmedia SMTP settings to use smtp.gmail.com

7. Uncheck all services in the gmail account for everything except calendar/contacts

All is working now, without the problematic Virginmedia login.  Hopefully, nothing will change now if/when Google make their security changes.

I notice that a number of people on this thread have slightly different problems, but I hope this helps in some way.  Good luck.

Gordon

Looking good, so far

I have all the same problems
ARGH

The above fix has now worked for a couple of my friends now.

eM Client tell me they are working on an improvement to their process.  I notice that a fix was released this morning, I don’t know if that is it or not, but you may want to try 6.0.22328.0 to see if that fixes it before you try anything else.  I updated to this latest version, after my fix above, and nothing broke this time.

My wife’s Netbook was the last machine I had to update, so this went from last week’s version pre problem update, to this morning’s latest version and it went perfectly.

Having said that, it did work this morning before the update, so Google haven’t removed anything yet.

Problem Solved

We are aware of the problem with Virgin Media servers. Unfortunately we weren’t aware of it when we pushed the update and due to Google’s shut down of the APIs on April 20th we couldn’t stop the rollout of the new version. 

Our current workaround is to download the latest version (either through the Help -> Check for update menu in eM Client or directly from http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.22331/setup.msi). Once that version is installed go to Tools -> Accounts and remove the Virgin Media accounts and add them again. They will be setup with different settings that should work.

Please read the last posts in this thread, and then you can mark this solved.

We are still assessing the situation about custom Google Apps deployments (such as Virgin Media, oi.com.br or Exede.net).  The standard Google OAuth authentication doesn’t seem to work for those providers and we haven’t figured out how to proceed yet.

For Virgin and oi.com.br we have updated the automatic settings detection when creating new accounts, so updating to latest version and removing and re-adding the accounts would help. For Exede.net we can only suggest to remove the account in Tools -> Accounts and then re-add it using manually entering the setting in New Account -> Mail -> Other.

You have all the attention of the developers you can get. We are working around the clock to offer a solution to the situation. Some workaround are presented above in this forum post or in other forum topics.

Thanks Filip. My virginmedia works fine now.

So the solution is to delete my existing accounts and re-create them? What about all the years worth of emails that I keep and regularly search? Is there a quick way to re-create the accounts and transfer over all the existing emails? Thanks

I suspect it depends on how you have it set up.   I have IMAP and “Retain Emails on Server”, so when I deleted the local accounts, and then re-added, they were automatically synchronised from the ISP server. 

If you have used POP and did not retain a copy on the server then you need to talk to someone more expert than me before you do anything,  in case you lose them all.

I maintain a Hold folder in my Local Folders that I sort various topics into weekly - downloading and deleting the original from Gmail and my ISP. I think you could probably drag your Gmail folders, one at a time, to your local folder the select either move or copy. Expect delays while years worth of emails and attachments are downloaded to your hard drive… I do it weekly then delete the original due to paranoia .

Thanks guys, I am a bit paranoid and treat my master copy as my PC. I also delete all the usual junk regularly so although my emails go back years I only keep things that I think I might need. 

I am thinking that I might be able to re-create the 2 Virgin accounts that I use on eMClient and then copy the existing emails from the old accounts to the new ones. Although it might take a while it should work shouldn’t it?

Thanks

Surely if your that paranoid, you’ve got it all backed up anyway, haven’t you? :slight_smile:

Backed up doesn’t mean that it’s easily accessible and searchable though.