Undo delete

OK, Gary.  You win.  I give up.  You are obviously correct.  I concede.  I’m sure everyone else agrees with you also.

From reading this thread it looks like the company is aware of the problem with Gmail and is working to fix it. Maybe that solution will also benefit the non-Gmail users who have the same issue. I don’t use Gmail, and I also don’t have this problem.

Hmm, I don’t see where they are really working to fix it.  The dev reply is now 2 years old and this issue gets me at least 2 lost emails a month.

I agree.  I don’t see a lot of developer input on here.  The last time someone reportedly from support responded was 9 months ago, and the problem has been around for a lot longer than that.  So if this is being worked on, it must be a horrendously elusive bug.

Olivia Rust mentioned just 9 months back they are still looking into ways to fix it. There hasn’t been a major release since then. Could it be something to look forward to in 7.2?

Olivia is definitely from eM Client Inc. 

This forum is mostly meant as a user supported forum, and the developers don’t regularly comment here. This is all explained in the agreement you accepted when registering your license. If you have a Pro License, you can open a support ticket, and get direct feedback on this issue from them.

“Just” 9 months back??
Gary, shouldn’t your profile say “Official Rep”, as does Olivia’s.  Or are you incognito?
That’s a LOT of activity for your average user.

Gary Curtin Joined on June 2, 2017
599 Likes received
32 Conversations posted
5077 Replies posted
2589 Conversations followed

Yes, just, in reply to there have been none for 2 years.

Do you think I should be less active? :slight_smile:

No. Not at all. I wouldn’t want you to lose your job.  I just believe in transparency.  I can’t speak for everyone, but I certainly appreciate all your help.

I am not employed by or connected with eM Client Inc. in any capacity beyond being a user of the application.

I stand corrected.  I’ll take your word for it.  And with that, I’m logging off.  I have stuff to do…   like try to get back all my permanently deleted e-mails.   Ha ha ha  :-)  Have fun everyone!

I opened a ticket with them but to not much avail - thus I posted also in here to get some feedback from others in this forum.

Here was their first response:

Hello Georg,
Your concerns are completely justified and we will investigate possible fixes.
I will reach out to our development team to discuss further actions as this issue is very unpleasant and I hope there is some possibility to at least bypass it.

Perhaps we have already discussed this in one of your older tickets but at this moment you can enable deletion confirmations in Menu>Tools>Settings>General>Confirmations.

That should reduce the chance of accidental data loss although it’s not a proper solution in any case.

Kind regards,
Anthony C***
eM Client Support

I just edited the support staff’s name out in the above reference for privacy reasons I expect others to maintain in public forums as well.

Here’s the next iteration:

Anthony - thanks for the followup.
Just for clarification - enabling the delete notifications is not a solution/prevention option. In fact, I have the option “Ask before deleting mail permanently” turned on, but it isn’t triggered, as can be expected since the behavior of “undo” shouldn’t do this in the first place.

Turning on “Ask before deleting email” defeats the purpose, as deleting to trash works as expected and isn’t the problem.

Here’s their second response:

Hello Georg, I was actually referring to “Ask before deleting email”, sorry for not being more specific about it.

Although I agree that it is not a solution, it should at least provide you with additional time to cancel message removal in case removal was initiated by accident.

We are already communicating with development team to find some solution to this issue and I will try to keep you updated but please feel free to contact us for the follow-up any time.

This was a month ago - nothing since.

Seems they are on the job! Hopefully you will see some improvements in the next major release.

BTW, Anthony does post on this forum using his full name. :wink:

to be honest guys - mayb there is a Problem.
but replicate it 100% everytime isnt a easy task.

on the other hand - you act like this is a Major Bug.
i mean - i never used this before.
if i delete a Email accidentally i look into my “deleted Items” Folder.

blame eMclient for “Permanently deleted e-mail” … i can only laugh about this one.
maybe the Problem is infront of the Display …

this is just silly.

Well, depends on your load and time at hand. I have to deal with around 400-500 emails a day, many of which just need to be read to acknowledge/know about an item, and thus don’t need to be archived. With this amount it happens every now and then that you hit delete too fast. Going back each time to the trash folder of the respective account (I have several in my collective inbox) takes more time than ctrl-z, which I was used to from other applications.
If we’d talk about only a dozen emails a day it’s another story… Just saying it’s not silly for me.

I still find this interesting that not everybody is affected by this. But then as you say Georg, you are doing this regularly, so you probably stand a higher chance of experiencing it.

Sorry for your troubles. Hope that the developers do eventually solve this one for you.

Because you don’t use a broken feature, it’s not broken? That’s a silly argument itself. Moving a message to trash - which is really just a folder - is a label change. Not everyone deletes their trash regularly. When we try to undo the folder move - it’s permanent data loss

This is worse with the way gmail works with threads. Often my inclination is to trash replies to a thread. So, someone sends important info, a long thread ensues, and I think "I don’t need this discussion stored"and I move to trash, then realize I’ve lost the original message, and hit undo , which is what you do automatically in that case.

Any data loss bug deserves to be fixed regardless of whether user can avoid the bug. Heck, just turn off the feature if you can’t fix it.

Has anyone tried this with undo of other gmail label changes? I haven’t.

Perfect!  See my response above.  

if (AccountType == “Gmail”) {
  _canUndo = false;
}

Done!  I don’t even need a message.  Just don’t let me fall victim to the undo muscle memory reflex I have which works so well in 99% of applications.  I don’t mind having to find it in deleted items.  I just don’t want it lost while using a feature.

Well, that’s not fixing the problem either, since I can observe the same behavior on IMAP accounts too. For anyone trying to replicate this: I almost always can trigger the bug when I first delete a message - sometimes I’m lucky and it comes back, then delete it again (or any other) and undo: boom - it disappeared forever.

So the function would need to let users decide to turn off the feature altogether.
Which is what I do now - I’ve been burned too often, so that I just don’t use it anywhere in emClient anymore. Lesson learned - if your brain gets frustrated enough you can unlearn convenient behavior again … not that I consider this a good business model/practice though.