Undo delete

I can’t believe this has still not been solved - or at least addressed with a workaround such as a warning mentioned by dma2112 - having email permanently deleted without a warning when in fact I try to revert a delete action is unacceptable for customers.

This happens on all my IMAP accounts, I don’t have a Gmail in eM Client.  Just happened again in 7.1.33101.0.  I deleted a message from Inbox, hit control-z.  It appeared in the inbox again but disappeared and isn’t even in the Trash folder anymore.

Is the message visible through the web interface for your email account?

If it is, right-click on the folder in eM Client, and choose Properties > Repair.

i have alot of installs and never expierenced that behavior on any of my Imap Servers.
so i dont see this as a Bug on emClient side.

its working fine.

Do you also have a gmail account among your accounts?
I also have tested a lot of installs and definitely can confirm the issue.

I can see this with gmail accounts AND imap accounts.

The challenge is that it sometimes works and actually brings the message back, at other times the message pops up briefly in the list and disappears again.

Just because you cannot replicate this doesn’t make it NOT a bug on emClients side. I’ve done a lot of programming in my career, and sometimes it’s the timing/sequence of programming. It seems to me that on (fast enough) units there must be two commands fired that get into each other’s way.
(I’ve just tested this on a i7 2.8GHz with 32GB RAM and a 120mbit internet connection)

So no, I reject your assessment that this is a user issue, since there’s nothing for me to fix on my side other than reverting to a less powerful computer generation if this has any impact on the issue.

Reading his comment I assumed Franky meant it was a server issue, which is what I am leaning towards myself. 

But whatever the cause, I also have not seen this with my IMAP servers.

Gary - thanks for chiming in - you are correct, could be a server issue - which still would need to be tested/addressed by the developers.

However, I notice this behavior specifically on my fast workstation and it occurs with IMAP accounts at different servers/hosts as well as with gmail accounts connected through OAuth.

No the message is not visible through the web interface in either inbox or any trash folder.

I see it on basically all of my IMAP accounts from different providers (Bluebird hosting, Greengeeks, Telus and Shaw).  I can replicate it nearly 100 % of the time if I delete and undelete messages a few times in a row.  Heck it could be related to my timezone (MDST) differential to servers for all I know.

I second that. I see it almost every time I undo. I’ve never seen this behavior in any other client so I think it is pretentious to say the bug doesn’t exist.

I am wondering if you wait a minute before you do the Undo, if that will change anything. As you are able to reproduce the error Devin, maybe you could try that and let us know what happens.

I had a related issue on Evolution where the message cache had not completely synced with the server before I deleted a message. Then the server tried to resync the cache again, and gave an error.

Hi Velentin. I have seen this same behavior reported on Thunderbird using a GMail account.

Gary, I have used Outook and Thunderbird.  I have not seen this problem with either of those.  I have also used Mailbird, which unfortunately does not have an undo, so I can’t try it there.  The question is, how often have you seen it reported in Thunderbird?  In fact, when I saw your post, I fired up Tbird and did 5 deletes/undo’s in a row; it did not happen once.  It’s one thing if it happens every now and then, but, for me, it happens almost 100% of the time on eMclient.   I think if it were “purely” a server issue, we would see it a lot more with other e-mail clients.  Sure, it may be related to gMail (I have not tried other servers), but apparently eMclient is doing something differently from the other clients in its interface with the server.  The point in my previous message was that, when so many people are reporting the issue on this board, it is somewhat presumptuous to deny that a problem exists simply because one doesn’t experience it.

I saw this mentioned on one of the Mozilla forums. It has been a while since I was active on that forum, so it could be a couple of years back. As far as I remember it was only an occasional thing, and it did not affect all users, but those it did were using GMail.

I do not experience this issue, but then I also don’t regularly undo delete. When I tried to reproduce it, I couldn’t. Maybe comments like those from Franky simply illustrate that not everyone experiences this, and not that the problem does not exist.

It did not sound to me like that.  Here is what was said:

“… i dont see this as a Bug on emClient side.  …its working fine.”

The implication was that there is no problem, with which obviously many people do not agree.

What a difference leaving out the first part of that sentence makes!! 

No Gary, Leaving that off does not make a difference.
THIS would make a difference:

“… I don’t see this bug on the emClient side.  … its working for for me.”   (OK)
vs.
          “… i dont see this as a Bug on emClient side.  …its working fine.”      (NOT OK)

I hope you can understand that.

It’s actually more the other way round - sometimes, when I’m very quickly hitting Ctrl-Z after I accidentally deleted a message it works and the message comes back. But most of the times - specifically when I wait for the syncing to “settle” I observe the disappearing behavior. Very unnerving I can tell you, as you want to get the message back and not delete it permanently. 

You have removed the qualification for his comment, so that changes everything. I hope you can understand that.

It would be interesting, Georg, to see what the developers have to say about this.