Transfer eM from one pc to another

I am going away from my regular PC for three weeks but need to work from my laptop while away. What is the best way to temporarily work from my laptop and then switch back to the PC when I am home again? I am getting a lot of emails daily and organise most in local folders.

Is it to save as a back up and import to the laptop and then do the same when back again or is there a better way. Also I would like to prevent duplicates from being imported (I always save a copy of the email on the mail server)

Thank you!

Hi;

I have a gmail account setup to IMAP protocol as a main provider.
The eMClient on my PC picks-up all daily mails and imports them to its own database.
Your LapTop, PC, tab, pad, etc. having eMClient will be importing the same emails, basically creating a mirror of your gmail account.
The thing is if you delete an email on say PC or LapTop this email will be deleted on the LapTop or PC as well unless you transfer this email to a local folder for safekeeping. Just make sure your gmail account or any other email provider is setup to IMAP (not POP) protocol.

zyg

Hello Henrik,

The easiest way of transferring e-mails and the application’s settings is to move the database manually:
a) Install eM Client on the laptop where you want to temporarily use it
b) Turn off eM Clients - please note that both eM Clients have to stay TURNED OFF for the whole duration of the process
c) Make a copy of the eM Client folder in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming on the original PC
d) Paste this folder to_ C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming_ on the new laptop where it will replace the current eM Client folder
e) Open eM Client on the laptop. All your settings should be transferred.
When you get back to your regular PC, you can use the same steps to transfer the eM Client folder from the laptop to the regular PC. We also advise to copy the folder to a third location as a backup.

Regards,
Maurice

Hi Maurice

Thank you so much for your reply. If I understand you correctly all I have to do for future instances is to transfer the file and then keep the eM client closed on the desktop while I am using it from the laptop and then copy the file back to the desktop before starting using it again. 

Is that correct?

Hello Henrik,

Yes, that’s it, except you’re copying the eM Client FOLDER, not a file. The two things to keep in mind is that 1) the program can’t be running when you are copying/pasting the folder 2) When you download eM Client to a new device, there’s a 30-day free trial after which you will be asked for the activation key. eM Client’s licenses only work on one device so you will need to get another one.

Regards,
Maurice

Isn’t there a way where I can activate the license on the laptop and then switch it back to desktop? I think there was a way with this before at least. 

Hello Henrik,

Yes, it is possible to deactivate the license on one device in Menu -> Help -> License and then activating it again when you come back to it.

Regards,
Maurice

Hi, With that method, will it reformat heading of colomns (i discard many columns that i do not use ( Category, Priority etc) in my 5 PC’s eM Client to have every PC’s with the same columns and) and also will this method resize also the police caracters (Segoe UI Semibold; 16pt) ?

The best method to move to a new PC is thorough backup/restore. As the backup is a complete snapshot of eM Client, it will be exactly the same when restored on another computer, including any preferences or column configurations.

The best way to move eM Client to another computer, and to ensure all your data and settings are brought over is through Backup and Restore.

On the old device:

1. Create a backup through Menu > Backup (Menu > File > Backup in eM Client 7 and older)
  2. Deactivate your license if you are no longer going to use eM Client on this device in Menu > Help > License
  3. Find the .ZIP backup file and move it to your new device (default in …\Documents\eM Client)

On your new device:

1. Install eM Client (http://www.emclient.com/download)
  2. Skip initial setup
  3. Restore from your backup through Menu > File > Restore. If you put the backup file on the new device in the same folder structure as the default (…\Documents\eM Client) the restore will find it right away, otherwise, you’ll need to specify the path where the backup file can be found (Menu > Settings > General > Backup).
  4. Activate your license in Menu > Help > License
1 Like

Ok, i’ll try that, thanks Gary