Sync with Outlook

I recently moved to eMClient on may main Windows 7 desktop PC (very pleased) and have now bought a new Laptop with Windows 10 and Outlook (I have yet to install an Office suite). Incoming e mails appear correctly on both machines but I cannot sync deleting them which means that I have to do it twice (very tedious!).  Syncing these deletions between my PC and Android phone works properly. I know my emClient is IMAP and believe this to be so in Outlook as well but can’t find a way to verify this. Do you have any ideas as to how to put this right please and so bring relief to an old codger who has spent hours trying to solve it?

If eM Client and the phone are syncing correctly, then this application is working as it should.

If MS Outlook is not syncing correctly, then you might want to ask Microsoft Support for assistance.

If I install eMClient as my main client on the laptop will this solve the problem? To ,my simple mind it should make it easier for the two machines to talk to one another but I might be completely wrong!

Richard

I think that using the same application on both will make it a lot simpler.

Richard,

If you need to sync contacts and calendars you are best to stay with Outlook. eM Client supports ActiveSync - sort of - which allows for this but it was “broken” after version 7.0.28820. It can be repaired to work after this version but I don’t know up until which version the manual fix will work.

Don’t confuse Outlook.com with MS Outlook email client. Richard did not say he was using that email provider.

But to say that MS Outlook email client is a better option for syncing contacts and events is unqualified. It may be a personal choice, but there is nothing wrong with the way eM Client does that.

As I just commented in one of your other posts, Randy, using Outlook.com setup as Exchange works just fine. That uses the EWS protocol not EAS.

Now I’m not too certain how to proceed! 

Windows 10 comes with its own Mail app which I had assumed to be Outlook. I don’t want to use Office 365 — my limited usage would not justify the cost as I do most of my main work on my PC. I am thus thinking of buying a key to install Office 16 on the laptop. Is that a sensible thing to do and, if so might it provide a solution?

Richard

If you are referring to the Mail App that comes with Windows 10, which is called “Mail” and has this icon;

… this is  not  Outlook. This is a very basic email client. Outlook, which is part of the Office Pro suite, is a mail client with Calendar, Task, Contacts, Notes and Journal functions, a bit like eM Client. Win 10 Mail is not going to compete with Outlook in functionality.

If you want an updated Office Suite, you can always opt for Office 2019, which is Office 365, but without the subscription fee, just a one-off purchase (that is what I use, the suite without Outlook, I use eM Client instead).

Gary has a point though, it would be simpler to use the same application on all platforms if possible.

Gary,

I am not sure why you would want Em Client if you are using Outlook as your email server. All you need to do is login to your email account from any browser on any machine. But if there was a reason, you’d be better off just buying a subscription of Office 365 or a one time license as David suggests.

As far as EWS and EAS, I can not comment on if EWS works with Em Client or not. But for those who use other email servers using AirSync (ActiveSync) which Em Client is supposed to support, it works hit and miss.

Richard,

If you are using Outlook.com as your email server you don’t need an email client unless you are doing a lot of offline work. It doesn’t sound like that is your case so do nothing. But if you still want Em Client on your machine and you want to sync calendars and contacts across all of your devices, do not set you account up as IMAP.  That protocol doesn’t sync these items.

Randy, you might as well campaign for everyone to stop using email clients, then we  can just close down this forum and eM Client staff can all take early retirement. Just about every email provider offers a web interface, even for private domains. So why does eM Client even exist then? Well, there are so many reasons to use a desktop client, but especially using eM Client with Outlook.com as an Exchange client has many advantages that you don’t have using the web interface. That can be said of using it as an IMAP client as well. 

It is OK, you don’t need to comment on EWS and EAS, I will do it for you. EWS works exceptionally well with eM Client. EAS is a bit temperamental (as you mentioned) with contact and calendar syncing though. AirSync and ActiveSync are not the same, but it is OK that you thought so as it is a common misconception.

Don’t you think it is a bit cheeky advising users on this forum to use the MS Outlook client rather than eM Client? :wink: Actually, you will find some of my comments lean that way as well. If MS Outlook, or any other email client, works better for you - then use that. BTW I use neither Outlook.com nor MS Outlook so you must be advising others.

You are correct that IMAP does not sync calendars and contacts. That is because the IMAP protocol only syncs messages. :wink:

Gary,

For most users there really isn’t a need for an email client on their PC. The only real reason is if you are doing offline work. For example, I use my lap top when traveling and not connected to a network. It is useful for me therefore to have a local database with my email records.

Anyone only using IMAP with Em Client almost definitely doesn’t need a local client for their PC since they can’t be using calendar and contact syncing and therefore their needs are modest. Why go through the hassle of having a local client?

It is not cheeky to say that it would be easier (and therefore better) to use MS Outlook client with an MS email server. It’s good advice. That way you don’t have the debate of who’s not working when there is a problem (by the way I never have had to send an error to the MS support team).

The real value of EM Client is for those of use who a) do not use MS email servers, but b) who still want the functionality of MS Outlook.

That’s why ActiveSync functionality (which was originally called Airsync https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_ActiveSync)  is critical for anyone needing full email management across many devices. If that functionality disappears, then what possible use could there be for a local client that doesn’t keep track of changes in contacts for example?  Use your browser an log directly into your email server - regardless of which one it is (i.e. Zimbra, Horde, Outlook.com)

When I bought my original licenses these features worked perfectly. With every “upgrade” they get more and more flaky (hence why I stopped at 7.0.28822.0). I am just providing real support to those who are considering using this product. Caveat emptor as they say.

Just because someone is using IMAP does not mean they are not also syncing their calendar and contacts. Tens of thousands of eM Client users are doing just that. Either they are using CalDAV and CardDAV, or any of the other protocols supported by eM Client. For Gmail, eM Client has some other protocol that it uses, and for Exchange EAS is used. So whatever protocol is used for messages has little effect on whether other data is also synced.

AirSync is not the same as the ActiveSync regardless of what it was originally called. They are different protocols. I know because I had this discussion with Olivia, and she corrected me about the misconception.

If you want to offer advice to users on this forum, do not offer unqualified statements like you have in this thread. Something like "Anyone only using IMAP with Em Client almost definitely doesn’t need a local client for their PC " or “If you are using Outlook.com as your email server you don’t need an email client” is absolute nonsense.

Gary,

Unqualified? I think I gave several qualifications.  If you do not need to sync across multiple devices, _ if _ you do not need local contact syncing, if you are using MS email servers, almost definitely, (by example)  _ if _ you are not traveling, etc.

Since CalDav and CardDav are not supported by many email servers or many (most) mobile devices and unlikely by the email server that Richard is using and to whom I was giving the advice, none of what I said was nonsense and is certainly qualified.

It is misleading for many basic users to tell them that they need to use a local email client. I don’t know all of Richard’s circumstances but it does appear to me, based on his posting, that he is a basic email user. In fact, the opposite is true for basic users for reasons given.

Using IMAP, will not sync calendars and contracts. I see many on this general support forum who advise using IMAP without mentioning that this protocol on it’s own will not sync calendars and contacts across devices. Many basic or novice users will not know this.

Furthermore, if they rely on the automatic set up in EM Client, many servers will be set up with IMAP only since many don’t support EAS or ActiveSync. This is not nonsense but help for those who are unaware.

I am with Gary on this one. An email client is more than just syncing. Sure you get your email, but I use both a calendar and my contacts offline. An email client provides a unified interface to keep both email and offline data in one place. Those invitations I get by email are saved to my local folder calendar, and I can use my many contacts stored in em client when addressing new messages.

I think that your advice is not so good Randy. Maybe not good idea to discourage use of email client on that email clients forum.

It is becoming more common for email providers to offer both calendar and contact syncing in addition to email. If they offer these services, setting up an account with them using eM Client these services can be automatically added. So the user has their email with IMAP and the other data is synced using whichever protocol the server offers. This is done (despite what others have said on this thread) using the automatic setup. It is all very simple, really. :slight_smile:

So this thread is now way off topic. The OP question was that eM Client on the PC was syncing correctly with Outlook.com, but the laptop with MS Outlook was not. Hence my initial reply still stands as the solution, which is not related to eM Client at all.

Randy’s advice to use MS Outlook, which is the application that is not functioning correctly in the PO’s equation. Make sense to anyone?

Charlie,

I am not discouraging it at all for those who need certain features. I am trying to educate people on their choices based their needs.  It boils down to this.

a) If you need to be able to access your emails, calendars and contacts while not connected to the internet then you need an email client of some kind.

b) If you are using Outlook (or capability similar server) as your email server and a) is not your concern, then you only need to use your browser.

c) Office 365 comes with a client of its own and you can log in using a browser.

d) If you need to sync across multiple devices and platforms, your email server has to support these functions. Many, if not most, outside of Google and MS type servers do not. In this case, using a browser to access their email server is really your only option.

e) If you have multiple email accounts on different email servers then an email client like Em Client is very convenient for reading, replying to and sending emails. Although you may not be able to sync contacts and calendars (see item d) email itself should sync (assuming you aren’t using  POP3).

It sounds like syncing across multiple devices (laptops, desk tops, mobile phones) across many platforms is not an issue for you and item a) is your only consideration. I do not know what email server you are using so I can’t comment on the rest. SO, n email client is probably good for you.

For me, any email client and email server that can’t do that is useless. But that’s my needs hence why I am using Em Client although that might change soon.

It appears that some (many?) email service providers are pushing people to have to use a browser rather than an email client. My guess is it’s because of the cost of licensing Exchange or similar software.

Gary,

He is saying that deletions on not working between two PCs. One that has Em Client (Windows 7 PC) and one that has Outlook (presumably MS Outlook versus browser). There is nothing in his email that says one client is working and one is not. I read as neither of them are reliably, if at all, processing deletions.

Something is off to me in the details given.

Robert,

Are you using MS Outlook on the new Windows 10 machine or do you log in to Outlook.com using  your internet browser?

What is the domain name (the part of your email address after the @ sign. Example: [email protected]. myemail.com is the domain) of the email accounts on the Windows 7 and Windows 10 PC?

“Syncing these deletions between my PC and Android phone works properly.” The PC is the one with eM Client.

“Laptop with Windows 10 and Outlook . . . but I cannot sync deleting” The laptop is the one with MS Outlook.

So eM Client syncs with the server, because that is seen correctly on the phone. However, MS Outlook does not sync with the server, because he has to delete the messages manually again in that application.

Man you need to read what people are saying. There is not enough information at all to determine what the issue is. You don’t know which device the deletion was initiated on. You don’t know his set up but you are saying that MS Outlook is the failure point. You don’t even know if he is using MS Outlook (the client). But assuming he is, are you saying Microsoft is failing. Is that right?

I have asked for more information from Richard to actually determine the error. I am hopeful to find a work around for Richard. From what I can see though, his best bet is to just log into the email server directly and get rid of all clients. That would solve all of his problems for sure.

Gary,

" AirSync and ActiveSync are not the same, but it is OK that you thought so as it is a common misconception." Really? I guess the Developers at Em Client are under the same misconception. I guess that’s OK.