Spellcheck problems with contractions in english

eM Client’s spell check doesn’t seem to know about contractions, or smart quotes, or something…

It’s also annoying that URLs and email addresses are spellchecked, although I’ve seen that this has been brought up before.

eM Client’s spell check doesn’t seem to know about contractions, or smart quotes, or something

The word doesn’t (does seem to be included in the eM Client 9.2.2054 spellcheck version I am using).

Could be possibly either there is a eg: space or hidden character in between the n & ’ .

Or you might possibly have the wrong spell check language selected in eM Client settings, so it doesn’t think it’s correct.

Or you might have an older version of eM Client and it may need updating.

Try first “deleting the word doesn’t” completely and re-type it and see if it happens again.

If it still happens, then go to “Menu / Settings / General / Spell Checker” (Pc) or “eM Client / Preferences / General / Spell Checker” (Mac), and make sure you have “Use auto spellchecker” enabled for each field and “the right language selected” for each field.

Note:- You may need to click “Download Dictionaries” if your specific language is not in the dropdown list.

Now if you do have the correct language selected for each field in eM Client settings and retyping the word doesn’t made no difference, then suggest to go to the release history page and try downloading the latest version of eM Client.

Note: If you do update eM Client, backup first via “Menu / Backup” (PC) or “File / Backup” (Mac), just incase you need to restore for any reason. You can see when the backup is complete in Show Operations via the dropdown on the right of Refresh at the top left of eM Client.

It’s also annoying that URLs and email addresses are spellchecked,

This also “does not happen to me”. Email addresses and URLs “are not spellchecked” for me. I cannot replicate that same problem.

As long as you are using a recent late version of eM Client, I can only presume it’s eg: maybe something “unusual in the email address or url” where eM Client thinks it needs to spell check.

What’s an example url that is being spell checked ?

I made these changes and doesn’t doesn’t spellcheck. The problem seems to be (if you look closely at the screen shot) that eM client is putting in a smart-quote and the spelling dictionary has a dumb-quote.

I cannot replicate that problem. If i type that same line with english auto spell checking enabled, the word doesn’t (is picked up with no errors). So it is being included in the auto spell checking.,

It doesn’t pick up the error when you write; it generates the error when I click ‘send’. See below:

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 8.42.04 AM

It doesn’t pick up the error when you write; it generates the error when I click ‘send’.

That does not happen to me when i press send using V9.2.2054 for Windows or Mac.

When i type exactly that sentence and press send, the email goes into the outbox and shows “no spellcheck errors” and then goes into the sent box and arrives at the other end with no errors.

What version of eM Client are you using ? Also are you using Windows or Mac and what OS version ?

Here is the relevant information:
Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 9.52.46 AM

The problem is because you are doing “a manual spell check” either manually before sending the email, or you have the option enabled in settings to “check spelling before sending”.

So to disable the manual spell check before sending (if you have that enabled on your Mac), go to “eM Client / Preferences / Mail / Compose” and disable the box marked “Check spelling before sending message”. Then “Save & Close” Settings.

If you didn’t have that settings enabled, then “just setup the automatic spell check” in eM Client Settings as previously mentioned above, and “don’t manually check” which will then also avoid that problem.

Thanks @Gary for your help on that.

Yeah, I think it has to do with the smart apostrophe which is detected differently in the manual spell-check to the automatic one.

I have asked our developers to look into it.

1 Like

Thanks. I find it really useful to automatically spell check before the message is sent. I’m glad I could help you to identify and diagnose this bug.