smtp doesnt work

smtp.gigahost.dk - port 587 - use ssl/tls if avaible - server reguieres… - use these…

these settings - which should be correct according to gigahost - makes an error:
that username or password incorrect is. I know this is not the case.
have tried the same settings in 2 other email clients, and it worked.
I like emclient very much - want to buy it, but whats wrong with the smtp settings ??
Claus, Denmark

Hello,
send us your SMTP logs. Go to menu Tools->Settings->Logging and check “SMTP” under the problematic account. Then restart eM Client,
try to simulate the issue and send us (with reference to this topic) the logs using the same logging settings window. Thank you.

OK - here is a log from one of my accounts:

SMTP S: 220 smtp.gigahost.dk ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
SMTP C: EHLO [192.168.1.32]
SMTP S: 250-smtp.gigahost.dk
SMTP S: 250-PIPELINING
SMTP S: 250-SIZE 512000000
SMTP S: 250-VRFY
SMTP S: 250-ETRN
SMTP S: 250-STARTTLS
SMTP S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
SMTP S: 250-8BITMIME
SMTP S: 250 DSN
SMTP C: STARTTLS
SMTP S: 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
SMTP C: EHLO [192.168.1.32]
SMTP S: 250-smtp.gigahost.dk
SMTP S: 250-PIPELINING
SMTP S: 250-SIZE 512000000
SMTP S: 250-VRFY
SMTP S: 250-ETRN
SMTP S: 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 NTLM
SMTP S: 250-AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 NTLM
SMTP S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
SMTP S: 250-8BITMIME
SMTP S: 250 DSN
SMTP C: AUTH DIGEST-MD5
SMTP S: 334 bm9uY2U9IkxxSGh4RjVBMjJGQXloOVdmY3FOaVZNZUxCL2pUc3ZTN1k1RU9zY1JUbGc9IixyZWFsbT0ic210cC5naWdhaG9zdC5kayIscW9wPSJhdXRoIixjaGFyc2V0PXV0Zi04LGFsZ29yaXRobT1tZDUtc2Vzcw==
SMTP C: dXNlcm5hbWU9ImluZm8iLHJlYWxtPSJ0cmVzbWFuLmRrIixub25jZT0iTHFIaHhGNUEyMkZBeWg5V2ZjcU5pVk1lTEIvalRzdlM3WTVFT3NjUlRsZz0iLG5jPTAwMDAwMDAxLGNub25jZT0iNGU3MGQ0ZjU3OGVlZDA4ODU0YjU5OGRhNmE0MGFjY2IiLHFvcD0iYXV0aCIsY2hhcnNldD11dGYtOCxkaWdlc3QtdXJpPSJzbXRwLyIscmVzcG9uc2U9YmE2NjU3MjkzNGFhNTRhYzA0NjFjNmQ3MDZhYjcwYTU=
SMTP S: 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure
SMTP C: AUTH DIGEST-MD5
SMTP S: 334 bm9uY2U9IjU0QXJTQ3hYRDdZSGRkYldFMlpvMGwycWJHb0ErQ1RFSGxuSCtvL1dhRG89IixyZWFsbT0ic210cC5naWdhaG9zdC5kayIscW9wPSJhdXRoIixjaGFyc2V0PXV0Zi04LGFsZ29yaXRobT1tZDUtc2Vzcw==
SMTP C: dXNlcm5hbWU9ImluZm8iLHJlYWxtPSJ0cmVzbWFuLmRrIixub25jZT0iNTRBclNDeFhEN1lIZGRiV0UyWm8wbDJxYkdvQStDVEVIbG5IK28vV2FEbz0iLG5jPTAwMDAwMDAxLGNub25jZT0iNzU3MDgzNDM5NTAyZGY4YTg2NDJlYmRmMGFlNTMxNDIiLHFvcD0iYXV0aCIsY2hhcnNldD11dGYtOCxkaWdlc3QtdXJpPSJzbXRwLyIscmVzcG9uc2U9MjUzMDQzNWVkOGFjMDQ1NTI5MTkxMDkwMTQ5Y2RhNTg=
SMTP S: 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure

I have 3 accounts - 2 on “Gigahost” which fails both ! - and one on Gmail which works as it should !
Hope that you get anything out of the log.

Hi from Claus

Please make sure you have entered correct password for that account. Thank you.

Did you get my “direct” email ?
Im sure I have entered the correct password.
I think the error is either in emclient or in gigahost.
My gmail functions correct - also, I have made a test mail at my
work, it functions correct too (mail is connected to one.com)-
Claus

Yes, we received your email. According to the log, it really seems that you are using wrong password. Disable the existing account for a while and try to set it up again. If it fails to connect again, send us your fresh SMTP logs. Thank you.

I have exactly the same issue, and stopped using EMclint dispite it is bought license, Is anyone having an solution ?
AND NO - the password IS correct, as it is tested with three other email clients

I am having this problem, randomly, on two em Client installations, one paid, one free.

I re-type the password (which works on another machine using OUtlook and another using gMail without a problem) and it works until I get the error message.

Hello,
please send us your SMTP logs - it would tell us more.

This is the second thread I’ve seen on this forum with the same problem. I also have a problem with Outbound email to an SMTP email account. I am trying eM Client and am approaching the breaking point. I brought account information over from Outlook 2003. I have an IMAP connection to a Gmail account, it works. Inbound POP email works. Outbound SMTP gags.

First, account information was brought into eM Client from Outlook (which works just fine thank you). I’ve also verified the SMTP settings and they are as email provider requires. eM Client has a problem here.

Too bad this one item seriously hurts an otherwise nice looking product. The Mail, Calendar and Contacts capabilities are what I want, I just need to be able to send/receive email from my two accounts.

Did you send us the SMTP log?

Regrettably I did not. I have been focused on trying to to solve the problem, which was the reason for checking out the forum.

Good news, The latest effort seems to have it fixed. I changed the “Security policy” to Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy). I found this suggestion on another post on this forum. I did check the log just prior to making this policy change. The message was something to the effect “Server took too long”.

Anyway, for know the SMTP and POP seems to work. When I opened eM Client this AM I did not receive any error messages and the send/receives on this account worked fine.

One closing comment/suggestion. With email, calendar and contacts synching well with Gmail accounts (IMAP) and with the good functions/features, it is unfortunate there are the inconsistent results with the SMTP/POP account.

I am glad it works now.

I’m curious… Did you find a solution to Claus Dittrich’s and Claus Rasmussen’s problems?

I’m having the exact same smtp problem with the exact same provider (gigahost). My credentials are the same for both IMAP and smtp, and since the IMAP connection works flawlessly, it’s deffenitely not a password issue?!?!

/Claus M. Pedersen

I just tested the emclient once again - still not working, and my one year subscription has also expired, so changed to another mail client

ok, just tried once more(I am very persistent) - in account setup wizard:
select “Mail - Other” (not automated)
Set IMAP server, SMTP user and pass, and THEN tick SMTP to “Doesn’t require authentication” even thou its wrong. !!

Then it send an test message with success.
This works for me, and tested positive on two e-mail accounts.

Hmm, still no luck.

If I choose “doesn’t require authentication”, I’m not allowed to connect to the server at all :frowning:

Set up the account, then open its settings and use the Diagnose/Fix button in the tab “Diagnostics”. If it will not help, enable SMTP logging fort the account, restart eM Client and send us the logs. Thank you.

Hi George,

I’ve tried the “fix” button, but after a while it asks me for new credentials, which isn’t the problem.

I’ve enabled smtp logging, restarted eM, but when I click the “send logs” button, it tells me that no log files are present in the logging dir?!?! Any suggestions? Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks.

It seems that you cannot connect to the server at all. Are you using any firewall or anti-virus?