SMTP connection problem

Hello good people at eM

We are a company that is considering to completely switch from outlook to eM (some 80 licenses), therefore i am doing the advanced testing before we commit.

Anyway, I really like the layout & functionality of eM, except for a weird issue-all of the sudden it has stopped to connect to SMTP server (and it used to work just fine during the past week).

I have searched this forum, tried all port/SSL combos and it simply will not connect (currently set at port 995/465 and SSl/TLS legacy) The diagnostics says OK, the mail server parameters are good (Outlook & Thunderbird, as well as mobile clients are all using my acc with no problem).

Have also contacted our hosting providers ( we have a hosted mail server, not in house) and still no help conclusive from their end (still looking into it).

The Log file is attached.

Any help would really mean a lot.

Thank you in advance,
Aleksandar

Have you tried temporarily completely disabling anti-virus and VPN apps?

1 Like

Yes, but nothing changed.
It is really annoying, because it just stopped out of the blue.

lunes 06 diciembre 2021 :: 1555hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @madz

Are you able to receive mail OK?
You can try the following for IMAP, it’s a screen gram of my settings that work,
though there is no guarantee the will for you.
smtp

¡Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla en España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.!

Unfortunately, we are using POP3, on a @tehnomarket.com domain, so no IMAP option for us.
I am receiving mail just fine, and the diagnostics also says everything is fine-except the mail is still not sending.

lunes 06 diciembre 2021 :: 1611hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @madz

Sorry that was a typo, the settings are for SMTP

Are you able to receive mail OK?
You can try the following for IMAP, it’s a screen gram of my settings that work,
though there is no guarantee the will for you.

¡Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla en España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

I’m having the same problem with sending email. I first noticed it late on the 5th or perhaps just after midnight.

I receive email fine, but outgoing mail gets hung up in the Outbox. Sometimes, it will eventually get sent, but some have taken hours. Century Link’s technical support worked with me on this, and they have come to the conclusion that it’s the eM Client software. My log file looks similar to the original poster’s one.

Also, I’ve tried to click on the option to download the latest version of eM Client, but nothing happens. I don’t know if that’s related or not.

I was also using the SSL/TLS legacy option. Century Link switched it to “Force usage of SSL/TLS”, but that hasn’t made any difference.

BB

Not sure what you tried to click on… the latest version can be found HERE

Have you tried temporarily completely disabling anti-virus and VPN apps?

If you are using IMAP, have you tried removing the account and re-adding the account… after doing an eMC Backup

No, Century Link support connected to my PC and tried various things, then they saw the post that someone else had just reported the same issue today.

This has been working for years, so I don’t know what caused the problem. When I run the diagnostics, the IMAP succeeds and the SMTP fails. It says “Server not responding”.

This is what I get logged when it tries to send emails…

8:55:30 PM [email protected] SMTP Sending messages
8:56:00 PM [email protected] [SMTP] MailClient.Accounts.SocketException: Sending messages failed due to the following reason:
“Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond…”
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
EnqueuedStackTrace =
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.b__0()
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline(Action actionIfOnline, Action actionIfOffline)
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.SendAsync(IEnumerable1 items, Action1 sentItem, Action`1 completed, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.SendInternal()
at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.Send()
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.SendAllInternal()
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.SendAndReceiveAll()
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.timerSendAndReceive_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at Interop.User32.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.Interop.Mso.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(UIntPtr dwComponentID, msoloop uReason, Void* pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(msoloop reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(msoloop reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context)
at MailClient.Program.<>c.b__169_1()
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor, Boolean wrapExceptions)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvoke(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at MailClient.Common.UI.Forms.BaseForm.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at Xilium.CefGlue.Interop.libcef.run_message_loop()
at MailClient.Program.Main(String[] args)
GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

Not sure how this responds to my suggestions. Wish you luck in figuring this out.

Thanks. They did disable the Windows Defender and such when they were working on the issue.

I’m leery of making changes that might mess up something that’s right when I don’t know what suddenly started to cause the problem.

I had that same exact smtp setup as Madz with the port 587 and the same security policy, except the host was Century Link.

Anche io da ieri stesso problema con account Hotmail… ricevo ma non invio piu’ la posta. Essendo l’account principale del lavoro è un grosso problema.

The ports and security policies are specific combinations.
There are the options for SMTP:
Port 587 = Force usage of SSL/TLS
Port 25 = Use SSL/TLS if available
Port 465 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)

After you have made a change, click on Save & Close, then restart eM Client and try send a message.

You may want to try restarting your router, as that could be the cause.

For others using the Avast/AVG application, disable the Mail Shield and try again.

Thanks, Gary. I have it at port 25 and “Use SSL/TLS if available”. I was just able to send an email that didn’t hang. I actually changed to that last night after reading something that I found on another web site. It was inconclusive, as I had a couple emails stick, but I was able to send them by pulling them up in the outbox and clicking Send a second time. If I have trouble again, I’ll try resetting the router.

Update-still no improvement. Was looking into different logs, and maybe we could somehow increase server timeout time? Since we are on a shared host, it could be the reason why SMTP is not connecting in time.

The server timeout is 30 seconds. If the server hasn’t responded by then, increasing the timeout won’t make any difference.

Same issue here, already from Dec 5th. Multiple email accounts active in EM client on different computers (windows and Mac), only 1 hotmail account can’t send. Gary is really supportive, but no solution yet. Error log shows abort already after 6 seconds:

17:20:28 ro[email protected] SMTP Aan het verbinden: Naar ro[email protected]
17:20:34 ro***[email protected] [SMTP] MailClient.Accounts.AuthenticationAbortedException: Authenticatie is afgebroken
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Authenticate (MailClient.Commands.WorkerStatus status) [0x000cd] in :0
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Connect (MailClient.Commands.WorkerStatus status) [0x003fd] in :0
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Execute (MailClient.Commands.WorkerStatus status) [0x0001f] in :0
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process (MailClient.Commands.WorkerStatus status) [0x00015] in <8be9aad758aa4239be8a9f1031ef9978>:0
EnqueuedStackTrace =
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount+<>c__DisplayClass3_0.b__0 () [0x00000] in :0
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline (System.Action actionIfOnline, System.Action actionIfOffline) [0x00000] in <845b0f6c3d924c24a89d297a3c9b9ba8>:0
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.SendAsync (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1[T] items, System.Action1[T] sentItem, System.Action1[T] completed, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00000] in <a7176b8a85a449e79e49231d5a199e6b>:0 at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.SendInternal () [0x00000] in <8346b6a96df0464ba814ca230c924ed7>:0 at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.Send () [0x00000] in <8346b6a96df0464ba814ca230c924ed7>:0 at MailClient.UI.Forms.formSendMail+<>c__DisplayClass436_4.<Send>b__6 (System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00000] in <261fb70b5a604738bc96230fc9874194>:0 at MailClient.UI.LongOperationService+<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<MailClient.ILongOperationService.InitOperation>b__0 (System.Threading.CancellationToken ct) [0x00000] in <261fb70b5a604738bc96230fc9874194>:0 at MailClient.UI.LongOperationService+<>c__DisplayClass13_01[T].b__0 () [0x00000] in <261fb70b5a604738bc96230fc9874194>:0
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine] (TStateMachine& stateMachine) [0x00000] in :0
at MailClient.UI.LongOperationService+<>c__DisplayClass13_01[T].<InitOperation>b__0 () [0x00000] in <261fb70b5a604738bc96230fc9874194>:0 at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1[TResult].InnerInvoke () [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute () [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecutionContextCallback (System.Object obj) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, System.Boolean preserveSyncCtx) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, System.Boolean preserveSyncCtx) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal (System.Threading.Tasks.Task& currentTaskSlot) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry (System.Boolean bPreventDoubleExecution) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem () [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch () [0x00000] in :0
at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.ThreadPoolDispatcher (System.Func1[TResult] callback) [0x00000] in <929c0a94d1a745b797ee51ef7915d371>:0 at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback () [0x00000] in <d1bd59058fa74388b6fb005a52f37821>:0 GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True 17:20:34 [email protected] SMTP Aan het verbinden: Naar [email protected] 17:20:48 [email protected] [SMTP] MailClient.Accounts.AuthenticationAbortedException: Authenticatie is afgebroken at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Authenticate (MailClient.Commands.WorkerStatus status) [0x000cd] in <a7176b8a85a449e79e49231d5a199e6b>:0 at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Connect (MailClient.Commands.WorkerStatus status) [0x003fd] in <a7176b8a85a449e79e49231d5a199e6b>:0 at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpSendCommand.Execute (MailClient.Commands.WorkerStatus status) [0x0001f] in <a7176b8a85a449e79e49231d5a199e6b>:0 at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process (MailClient.Commands.WorkerStatus status) [0x00015] in <8be9aad758aa4239be8a9f1031ef9978>:0 EnqueuedStackTrace = at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount+<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<SendAsync>b__0 () [0x00000] in <a7176b8a85a449e79e49231d5a199e6b>:0 at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline (System.Action actionIfOnline, System.Action actionIfOffline) [0x00000] in <845b0f6c3d924c24a89d297a3c9b9ba8>:0 at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount.SendAsync (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1[T] items, System.Action1[T] sentItem, System.Action1[T] completed, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00000] in :0
at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.SendInternal () [0x00000] in <8346b6a96df0464ba814ca230c924ed7>:0
at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase+<>c__DisplayClass75_1.b__1 (MailClient.Commands.CompletionEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <8346b6a96df0464ba814ca230c924ed7>:0
at MailClient.Protocols.Smtp.SmtpAccount+<>c__DisplayClass3_0.b__3 (System.Object s, MailClient.Commands.CompletionEventArgs c) [0x00000] in :0
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Complete () [0x00000] in <8be9aad758aa4239be8a9f1031ef9978>:0
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process (MailClient.Commands.WorkerStatus status) [0x00000] in <8be9aad758aa4239be8a9f1031ef9978>:0
at MailClient.Commands.SynchronizationQueue.ThreadWorker (System.Object threadData) [0x00000] in <8be9aad758aa4239be8a9f1031ef9978>:0
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context (System.Object state) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, System.Boolean preserveSyncCtx) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, System.Boolean preserveSyncCtx) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart (System.Object obj) [0x00000] in :0
GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

I would like to switch off Outlook, but Em Client is not friendly!!!
It hasn’t to create problems to us.
We have only to insert the address and pwd.
I see that we all have the same problem, and the chat leader, Em Client, is not able to solve simply our problem.
Please solve the problem, do not create other ones.