Show contact names like they are in my Contacts

Hi! It’s a great mail client but it would be greater if the user have an option to see the contact names in the Mail list like they are written in his Contacts (along with the avatar) like it works in MacOS Mail or Aqua Mail for example. Now some contacts appear with other names (get from the sending server) and some have no name at all and all I see is the email address.

For example imagine I have a contact saved as “Dad” with email [email protected] and a contact saved as “Mom” with email [email protected].

What I expect to see in the Mail list when I get an email from them is “Dad” and “Mom”.
What I actually see in eM Client Mail list is “John Doe” and “[email protected]”.

Nevertheless when I hover the sender I see the correct names from my Contacts (in the popup window). So it means eM Client gets the correct information - just doesn’t show it at the right place. Can you guys add an option where the user can choose what to see - the name in his Contacts or the name from the server. Such an option would be very useful not only for the Mail list but also in the mail headers.

Thank You in advance!

P.S. I previously posted this as a ‘problem’, but I was advised to post it as an ‘idea’, so here it is.

9 Likes

While eM Client currently only displays the details from the email header in the message preview pane, it would be a useful option to display the details from the Contact. Fortunately the right-sidebar Contacts already displays full details of the sender from your Contacts.

The interesting this is that the avatar in the preview pane is taken from your contacts unless you have not specified one. In that instance it is taken from what the sender has registered with services like Google, Gravatar etc.

1 Like

Big yes to this! :slight_smile:

I have a service (lets call it “ServiceX”) that sends me both subscription emails and event emails. Although the two types of emails are being send from different addresses, the name of both addresses are “ServiceX” which groups them together when sorting by “from” in the emails list.
I would like to be able to change the name of the subscription emails sender to “ServiceX - Subscriptions” and the event sender email to “ServiceX - Events”, and have them group separately in the emails list.

Really appreciate the ability to do so! Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

Still not implemented in v9? :confused:

I would like to bump this feature request. I am – once more – on the look out for an email client that “just works”, and this is something that is sorely missing. It is really weird what some services enter in the From: field (e.g. No reply :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

1 Like

I want this function also, it is common in foxmail

1 Like

+1 for this. I’d love to be able to set my contact name as the preferred display name, otherwise for it to use the sender name in the email header.

1 Like

Yeah, this is so crucial - I wouldn’t give a penny for a mail client that doesn’t show me the contacts the way I entered them in my contact list. And I wouldn’t call it “feature request” - it’s a bug, and it is an enormous one.
…Anyways, they don’t seem to care at all, so I stopped using eM Client a long time ago. Thank you for saving me a hundred $.

No, it is not a bug. It is intended behaviour to display the name as it is in the message header.

But we already added this to the feature request list when you proposed the change, so it was certainly considered for future development.

Here we have different opinions. I can agree it’s intended behavior, but I can’t agree this intention is good in any way. The user should at least be able to choose what to see. It’s absolutely the same if in my phone app I’m forced to see the number instead the name I’ve given.

Well, may be I’ll look back to eM Client some day… Till then, I wish you well guys.

This is planned for version 10, which will be available later this year.

3 Likes
1 Like