Recommended IMAP & SMTP settings not working

I tried using the suggested IMAP & SMTP settings but they did not work & I still cannot send or receive emails! See below:

HOST: imap.aol.com
PORT: 993
Security Policy: Force usage of SSL/TLS

HOST: smtp.verizon.net
PORT: 465
Security policy: Force usage of SSL/TLS

Suggestions, please!

As per your other recent post “where this only happened when a technician transferred your computer data to a new computer”, did you try doing an eM Client backup and restore from your old computer to the new computer, or manually transferring the old computer eM Client hidden database folder from the old computer hard-disk to the new computer ?

As if you can do that, then whatever the issue is with your settings etc, will fix it self.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/password-protected-startup/94335/4

I’ve have tried everything I know and was able to recover all of my old folders, emails, & contacts but the only thing left is to resolve the IMAP & SMTP settings. To be perfectly honest, I’m at a loss as to resolve that issue! I’ve tried all combinations of IMAP & SMTP settings, but no luck! I did try your suggestions earlier & had no success! One other thing you should know - I have no problem sending & receiving emails on AOL Mail but, so far, have been unable to locate where the IMAP & STMP setttings are located! So as it stands now, I still want to stick with eM Client, but need to resolve these IMAP & SMTP settings! Suggestions, please!

Bill

If you have then tried the backup and restore or manually copying the hidden database folder from your old computer or harddisk to the new computer and it doesn’t work the same as it did previously which is strange it’s not, then I would suggest to contact AOL / Verizon technical support to verify those incoming mail settings.

According to the AOL / Verizon support page below you have the correct IMAP Server address and Port, so it could be the Security Policy settings eg: Force use of SSL / TLS isnt maybe working for their server and you might need to try the other options in your IMAP server setting.

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-setting-up-your-new-aol-account-in-a-third-party-email-program-or-mobile-device-imap

Quote from the above link:

“Make sure SSL is enabled and you use your full email address, including @verizon.net”

Server Settings

Port Settings
Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.aol.com
IMAP-993-SSL

These settings are incorrect. Best option is to remove the account, then add it again using the automatic setup, which will use the correct settings.

Otherwise, if you want to change the settings, not sure about the host names, but for both ports 993 and 465, the security policy should be set to Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply but when you say “remove the account”, won’t that remove all my emails, contacts, and calendar?

Bill

All the data is stored on the server.

When you remove the account from eM Client, the data is not removed from the server. When you re-add the account, all the server data will be cached again in eM Client.

Hi Gary,

That is good news but could you give me a bit more details of how it will “be cached again”! As you are no doubt aware, I’m risking a lifetime of data & I want to be sure before I click “Remove”! Please understand my uncertainties!

Bill

WIth IMAP and Exchange the data is stored on the server, not your device. All eM Client does is act like a sophisticated webmail interface. In the same way when you close your web browser, the data on the server is not deleted, also when you remove the account from eM Client the data on the server is not deleted. Then just like when you open the webmail page in your web browser and see all the data, exactly the same happens in eM Client when you add an account; the data that is on the server is displayed in eM Client.

OK, Gary, as I feared, I “removed” my old account, attempted to set-up a new account with Automatic Setup>my old email address, at least 3 different passwords, Continue & all I got was an error window saying “The server was found but authentication failed. Check the email address and password.” Is the problem with using my old email address? Now what?

Gary,

Just a follow-up on my last email - I confirmed that the Removal did not affect my folders, contacts, or calendar! That was quite a relief but the issue described above still remains. Suggestions, please!

I “removed” my old account, attempted to set-up a new account with Automatic Setup>my old email address, at least 3 different passwords, Continue & all I got was an error window saying “The server was found but authentication failed

If you go to your AOL / Verizon webmail, can you login with that same email address and password ?

I log-in to my AOL Mail account with my email address & password. If I use the same email address & password to log-in to eM Client, it doesn’t work! What next?

Don’t you need to use the app password, rather than your account password?

This has gotten way more difficult that it needs to be! Before I got my new computer recently, I logged-in to eM Client with my email address and recorded password & have had no problems! I followed earlier instructions to remove my account & add a new one, which I’ve done. But when I started my Automatic Startup, I entered my email address, the entered my old recorded password, which was rejected! I tried several other passwords that I’ve used in other places & they don’t work either! The Automatic Startup window doesn’t offer a “forget password” option, so what do I have to do to get eM Client working again? BTW, I have to use AOL Mail now to send & receive mail!

If you don’t have the correct password, please contact the email provider for assistance as it is their server that is rejecting what you have entered. They should offer an option to reset the password on their website, so try that if you can’t get ahold of them. And if they require you to use an app password rather than the account password, they will have a way to generate those on their site as well.

1 Like

My email provider IS eM Client!

No, we don’t provide email hosting. Sorry.

AOL is your email provider.

OK Gary,

Let’s try this once more! I managed to reset eM Client back to was it was prior to deleting my old account & clicked on my old account red triangle & this is what I got:
“[email protected]: The authentication failed due to the following reason: “Unexpected end of stream.
[SMTP] An attempt to connect to [email protected] failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings?"

My current SMTP settings are:

Host: smtp.verizion.net
Port: 587

I really want to keep eM Client so any suggestions are welcomed!

BTW, now have all my old folders!

Bill

OK Gary,

Let’s try this once more! I managed to reset eM Client back to was it was prior to deleting my old account & clicked on my old account red triangle & this is what I got:
“[email protected]: The authentication failed due to the following reason: “Unexpected end of stream.
[SMTP] An attempt to connect to [email protected] failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings?"

My current SMTP settings are:

Host: smtp.verizion.net
Port: 587

I really want to keep eM Client so any suggestions are welcomed!

BTW, now have all my old folders!

Bill

As a test, can you completely disable any anti-virus, firewall, proxy or VPN, then try send again. Sometimes even restarting your router may resolve this.