re-allocate MailClient temporary files folder

hi, my em mail is located in D: drive, can I re-allocate the \AppData\Local\Temp\MailClient temporary files folder to D: drive also ? Because the temp file is too big… C: drive only remaining a little bit storage.

Thanks,

Hi Melvin, unfortunately it is not possible to move the Temporary folder using the application’s settings, this is currently not supported in eM Client.

Regards,
Paul

Hello Paul,

Thanks for reply!

Is there anyway to limit or refresh the temp files ? my email folder have around 80G, but the temp files folder have over 100G…

Thanks,

Hi Melvin, temp (temporary) files should only be used by their application for a limited amount of time and all cached, temporary files should be cleared automatically when the files are not needed by the application.

If you have a temporary folder at 100GB, I’m afraid you might be having a system issue or some of your applications are not clearing their files.

Regards,
Paul

Hello Paul,

Please comment what system issue would couse the clearing action ! My notebook coming shortage of storage…

By the way, is that the email backup process made some temporary files ? Actually I never see the backup process is well done. There is no any backup files on my backup directory.

Thanks,

Hi Melvin, backup feature does not create any temporary files, however a backup file should be created in the backup folder setup based on your application preferences in Tools > Settings > General > Backup.

Unfortunately we’re unable to provide support for eM client unrelated issues.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul

Thank you !

By the way, I have another question that I have 2 email account in eM client. When I reply some email, the send isnt the default account, why ?! I always have to manually select the default as the sender.

Thanks,

Hi Melvin, the default account is used for sending new messages mostly, if you’re replying to a message, the message you’re replying to defies what mail will be selected as the from address.

e.g. if you have an account A and B, and the message was received by account B, this account will be automatically selected as the reply address.

Regards,
Paul

Hello Paul,

The folder of MailClient temporary become much more bigger after today scheduled backup process. Also the backup isn’t complete, there is a error message comes out but i forgotten to capture it.

Please help, no more space in my C drive… some program can’t startup… !

Melvin 

Hi Melvin, have you rebooted your computer since the issue occurred? If you’re running out of space, the application may not be able to create a full backup file on your computer, as the file size of the backup would exceed the maximum capacity of your hard drive, would this be possible?

The temp folder should be reset after a computer shutdown/restart.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Hello Paul,

I shut down and start my notebook everyday!

That’s what I thought too. So, that mean eM client will creates some temporary files in C drive at the backup process… So, can I point the directory into another driver? Or, can I delete the MailClient temporary files folder ?

Thanks, 

Hi again, Temp folder is a windows/system feature, the folder is accessible for any installed application to use it for storing temporary files, if you want to clean the temp folder you can use these steps to do so, http://www.pcworld.com/article/2602104/how-to-clean-your-windows-temp-folder.html .

It is not possible to target the directory elsewhere.

Thank you,
Paul

Is there a way to backup when there is insufficient space on my C (small SSD) to create the temporary files?  The backup crashes and I have to manually clear out the MailClient Temp file?

Hi Tom, you can perform a manual backup, turn off the application and navigate to your storage folder (your local folder > App Data > Roaming) and copy the “eM Client” database folder located in Roaming to a selected destination.

However make sure the MailClient.exe process (eM Client) is not running while you do so, moving your database files while it can be accessed or changed by the application, could result in a database corruption when restoring.

You can archive the backup folder, however when restoring you won’t be able to use the standard restore option built-in to eM Client and will have to restore manually as well - to restore manually you have to move the eM Client database folder back to it’s set storage folder.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Hello!

I have the same issue, EMclient is not cleaning it’s temp files.
It’s now 65GiB.

Please advise.

Hi Andreas, I have the same problem, see my post here - https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/problem-with-temporary-files-in-user-directory

Have you been able to resolve this yet?

Thanks,
James.

Hi melvin,

You could specify Environment Variables TEMP and TMP to other drive\folder, e.g. D:\TMP so that any applications will dump there and not on C: