"Pro License" is now "Personal" EXCEPT previous Pro users must buy new Personal License if we want multiple devices. SO WRONG!

So “Pro Licenses” are now called “Personal Licenses”, and are sold at the same price as “Pro” was, but the new Pro License a.k.a. “Personal” gets 3 device uses?

I emailed support asking to put my Pro Licenses on more devices and was told this:

Why in the world are you denying Pro License users multiple devices and asking us to buy the same “new” Personal License to have multiple devices?? This is so wrong. Give us the same as the new plan you changed Pro Licenses to!!

Below is a quote directly from eM Client blog:

Our Pro license changes into two new options - Personal and Business. The Personal license can be used with up to 3 devices and the Business license can be used for any number of devices your company or organization needs. Both of these options have all advanced “Pro features” available as compared to Free license.

We received a lot of complaints on the available number of devices for single users in the past, since 2 or 3 devices are quite common for personal use nowadays - so that is why we changed the default paid Personal license to already cover 3 devices.

The good news is that the price is not going up - with the new Personal license, you are effectively saving up to 66% compared to the previous cost if you use more than 1 device!
eM Client: Changes coming to our licensing model | eM Client

4 Likes

Additional, if you want to use the new AI features, you would have to buy a subscription for EACH PRO license, and not only one for three devices. It is completely unbalanced. I don’t know what that company did think on treating the existing PRO customers.

2 Likes

@goallday

“Pro License” is now “Personal” EXCEPT previous Pro users must buy new Personal License if we want multiple devices. SO WRONG

Previously if you wanted to run eM Client Pro on multiple devices you had to buy 2 separate licenses, “which was way more than purchasing the current V10 personal license” which now includes 3 devices. So its way better value in my opinion for upgrading or brand new installs.

As per the eM Client Sales Quote you mentioned " you are effectively saving up to 66% compared to the previous cost if you use more than 1 device!".

1 Like

@emuell69

Additional, if you want to use the new AI features, you would have to buy a subscription for EACH PRO license, and not only one for three devices.

I would say, thats because eg: each computer is using the external third party ChatGPT AI server for queries etc to update in eM Client, where then eM Client as a company will be getting charged from the ChatGPT AI company for each AI Query back and forth from the 3 separate devices.

So buying a Personal 3 device License “for the mail client front end”, wouldn’t cover that cost. So they need to charge a separate subscription for each device when using the AI server queries.

Quote below from eM Client AI features blog page.

https://www.emclient.com/ai

"eM Client provides features for composing emails with the help of text generation and editing made by Artificial Intelligence. The current Provider of AI for eM Client is ChatGPT.

1 Like

I cannot follow the Upgrade approach. There is a “special offer until end of july 2024”. The last time I paid for an upgrade was 3 months ago to bring of those licenses from v8 to v9, cost was 882php 3 months ago. I do not need the AI .

Can someone please explain what I am supposed to do ? about the latest upgrade to v10.

I am in Philippines. I have 3 PAID Pro licenses. Each one is different. Each one is “valid for 1 device” - that is 3 Pro licences - for 3 devices (ie 1 each). Now - one Pro licence covers 3 devices - did i understand that ? So NOW I CANNOT UPGRADE ? Is that right ? Am I supposed to Trash my current licnces - and instead buy 1 new license ( covers 3 devices ) ?? If so I will wait till the October Sales. I am happy to UPGRADE ONE now - but I do not understand HOW ?? or if that is even possible ??

Can someone please explain this to me clearly.

Also I have another pc that is on “lifetime upgrades” and that one is no problem. The reason I mention it is that I have been PAYING emclient since 2013. But now it seems that - a very supportive user (me) - who pays emclient for multiple licences… is being cast aside and forgotten by the new pricing system (which is difficult to understand anyway).

Yes, it seems “Pro” is replaced with “Personal” and it covers 3 devices, yet previous Pro licenses still only works for one device. You would have to pay to update each license or they are telling us to buy their new Personal license… Seems like we are being done wrong.

eM Client needs to do the right thing for us. I dont mind paying to upgrade if I don’t have lifetime.

I actually just paid to upgrade my Pro License to 10 yesterday… thinking I would get 3 devices since that’s what you get for Personal (Pro replacement.)

Please fix this for us eM Client.

There should be a process available to transfer one (or multiple in my case) PRO lifetime licenses to the new Personal lifetime ones. I can’t understand there is not any. Over the last three year I did pay a lot of € for my three computers, and now I will even need THREE subscriptions for AI if I want to use it on all clients. Thats 6 € per month instead of 2 €. With the new Personal License, you would only need one License for my case, and only one subscription. Thats what I dont understand.

2 Likes

emClient need to SAY what they expect someone in my situation to do.

3 PRO licences. I think emClient want me to abandon those current licences. And just buy one new Pro (for all 3). If that is true, I will consider it in the Black Friday sales in October. But they need to be clear.

Second I agree with you. it is VERY DISAPPOINTING that emClient would treating current paying Pro licence holders badly. I mean we are the ones who PAY. There should be a transition path from current to new licence plans… There isn’t. Been paying for upgrades for years, but there’s no promo or recognition of that. The only option is to abandon previous spend on licences, and just start again as a new customer… I hope I am wrong.

1 Like

@goallday

I actually just paid to upgrade my Pro License to 10 yesterday… thinking I would get 3 devices since that’s what you get for Personal (Pro replacement.

When you purchased your V10 did you go to the below Pricing page and click Buy on the personal version either as a subscription or as a oneoff ?

https://www.emclient.com/pricing

Or did you go to another V10 upgrade page ?

As if you purchased the new personal version, you should have got a new License key sent to your email address where you would then “deactivate your current license key” and then enter your new 3 device License personal key.

If you didn’t get the new V10 personal 3 device key, then email [email protected]

1 Like

Until I can understand this - or emClient make some clear clarifying comment - I will just stay on v9.

I want to be clear about it, I WANT to upgrade to v10. I am happy to pay for the upgrade to v10, but unfortunately I cannot make any sense of it … Result is : for now I will just wait, staying on v9, and hope that in coming days or weeks that emClient issues some new statements about it - to make it clear… maybe their statement will include some reasonable “upgrade options” too.

As your licenses are for version 8 or 9 only (as in your screenshot), you can’t use them with version 10.

If you want to use version 10, you can purchase an upgrade to 10, or you can purchase a lifetime upgrade for 10 and all future versions.

2 Likes

And Gary, how many Upgrades-to-10 are you suggesting I purchase ?? - in order to be licensed for those 3 Windows machines that currently use Pro licenses. Each upgrade is $US35, right ?

Remember that just by trashing my current licences and instead buying one new Pro licence for 10 -give licenses for 3 machines and only cost $US60 . Maybe with those numbers displayed in the post you begin to understand the problem ?

The fact that “Upgrade” makes no sense numerically, and the whole point of “an Upgrade option” is to show some good faith, and financial benefit, to those of us who have already been paying for several years. The way “upgrade” is currently formulated, it does not do that.

Currently - it seems like best ( cheapest ) approach is to just abandon currently held licences and be treated like new customers. It’s ridiculous;y short-sighted by emClient

Well, you’re only using one of those licenses from your screenshot, so one upgrade.

You also have another license which has lifetime upgrades that you aren’t using. So you could use that one instead and it won’t cost anything.

1 Like

Hi Sean,

I think the confusion has arisen from the response @goallday received from Technical Sales.

I don’t know if this helps, but I had a similar enquiry and received the same response from Sales which didn’t seem well aligned with the question I had asked. I went ahead regardless and purchased an upgrade of one v9 Pro Licence (which could be installed on 2 devices) to one Personal Licence (which can be installed on 3 devices). I have since installed the same v10 Personal licence on 3 devices and they all work.

2 Likes

@cyberzork I purchased Version 10 upgrade from v9 Pro License from link below.
Upgrade to Version 10 eM Client

But, that is the part I think most of us are disappointed with…
It is still only for usable for 1 device, I tried to put it on another.

@RobinW Where did you purchase upgrade of v9 Pro License to 1 Personal License?

1 Like

@goallday

I purchased Version 10 upgrade from v9 Pro License from link below.
Upgrade to Version 10 eM Client 1

But, that is the part I think most of us are disappointed with…
It is still only for usable for 1 device, I tried to put it on another

What was the cost difference for you via the V10 u/g link, compared to the new Personal version via the Pricing page ?

1 Like

exactly @cyberzork !

For new customers they pay $us60 and get 3 licences.
For existing customers, who’ve been paying for years and already have paid for v9 (and possibly v8 and v7 in the years before that ) - they are being asked to pay $us35 for one licence upgrade. At parity the upgrade cost would be $20, but to show faith with existing users (ie give nthem some actual benefit) it should be LESS like $15 (giving one licence) … but it isn’t, it is $35

3 Likes

I don’t understand the business strategy here.

The Pro license was only allowed on 1 device even after upgrade, whereas the new Personal license gets 3 devices. As an old user, I feel very uncomfortable about such price discrimination.

Basically the message is the team couldn’t care less for current customers but are very eager to gain new customers (sounds like a red flag or a hint to sell this product). Or, the team is somewhat over-confident about the user stickness of this product.

Sigh.

3 Likes

What confusion with the purchase of the V.10 license!
If I take a license for v. 10 from the V.9, I only have the right to use this license on a single device.
If I had pretended to be a new customer, I would have a license for 3 devices (almost the same price).
It’s not honest.
How are you going to fix this?

3 Likes

@goallday I upgraded my Pro Licence using the same link as in your post. I obtained a single Personal licence, installed it on 3 devices and they all work. My Pro licence worked on 2 devices. It seems odd that different users have a different experience and cannot use their Personal licence on more than one device. Possibly a licencing glitch for a few users? Might be worth reaching out to Technical Support. A single personal licence is advertised as working on 3 devices and for me, it does.

2 Likes