Pictures should -appear- scaled as necessary

This involves both outgoing and incoming eMails. When I paste or insert a photo that needs to be received in its full-size by the recipient, I need to use the “Original size” setting but the image may be so large that it can’t be fully seen in the window.

My feature request is for inserted or pasted pictures/photos to be displayed scaled to fit yet respect the size setting set in the Settings. Better yet, have the inserted picture/photo be displayed scaled but have a popup (drop-down?) menu in the eMail header area that permits one to decide on-the-fly which size the graphic should be sent as. (But, in all cases, the picture/photo should be displayed scaled to fit the window. If this sounds at all confusing, please refer to Apple Mail for the proper way of handling this. I am assuming someone at the company uses a Mac.

As for incoming eMails with photos inline: Again, the photos are displayed in actual size even if they are w-a-y too large to be intelligibly displayed. As evidence of this:

There is a thread on this subject.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/received-inline-mail-images-not-scaled-down/79803

Yes but that thread implies this is a “problem” and the answers there claim this is working as designed.

This thread is a “Feature Request”. Pictures should, be default, appear scaled to fit; using Ctrl- is a kludge which makes the eMail’s text unreadable. As the other thread shows, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, and virtually all other eMail clients manage to do this without breaking a sweat or requiring the user to juggle while riding a unicycle.

Please, eM Client developers, just make it work like Apple Mail.

Images that are embedded in the message are displayed exactly as the HTML code specifies. So the way the sender intended you to see.

Images that are attached to the message are previewed after the message body, and displayed to fit your view. They also have an icon you can click to display them full size.

2 Likes

…the way the sender intended you to see…

I would strongly disagree with you. I can’t think of one instance in the last 10 years when anyone who sent me a photo intended to send it so it didn’t fit within the eMail’s window. Certainly the “full-size” icon in the upper left of the photo could be useful if one actually wanted to view the photo full-size but, again, why would one want this result in a small window? It’s the equivalent to peering through a knot hole in the center field fence in order to watch a ball game; you’d only see one small portion at a time.

A better use for the full-size icon (at the upper left of the photo) would be for it to open the photo in ones choice of picture viewer (Photos, for example) or even have it work like the QuickLook app.

The whole point of this issue is to make things easier and simpler for the user, not more complicated.

2 Likes

I fully agree, Barry.

It should be self-evident that an image is reduced to an appropriate size in the view so that it can be displayed completely.
Unfortunately, developers often think a little “differently” than users.
So, it took me years to clarify it for developers that they should please use the largest possible space of a window to display a graphic and not a fixed pixel size.

I guess 99% of E-Mail users don’t even know what “as the HTML code specifies” means.

Regards,
Thomas

If the user “attaches” a photo, it does appear scaled to fit the existing window; however, it loads very slowly. Looking through the forum, this pokey behavior was to have been addressed at least a year ago but it has not.

Perhaps if there was some way to add eM Client to the Nvidia Experience control panel so the app might take advantage of my PC’s RTX 2080.

@Barry_Levine

If the user “attaches” a photo, it does appear scaled to fit the existing window; however, it loads very slowly. Looking through the forum, this pokey behavior was to have been addressed at least a year ago but it has not.

Initially Loading images very slowly in the body of the email (untill they are fully cached) is usually to do with (the image resolution / size). What resolution / size are the attached images ? Also what image format .ext are they ?

Also what thread did you see where this behavior was meant to have been addressed as you say ?

I encountered that thread (regarding fixing the slow image loading) while searching for a solution to this issue; can’t locate it at the moment.

Loading images very slowly in the body of the eMail probably is, as you indicate, to do with the resolution of the attached images. But that is not a problem caused by the sender of the image as she only forwarded a jpeg shot by the camera in her Pixel 6a camera. Blaming the sender is disingenuous as what else was she supposed to do?

eM Client’s behavior is inconvenient (at best - took a minute to load/display a photo on my Core i9/RTX2080 machine!) but the reality is that saying “this is supposed to work this way” is a poor excuse for lazy programming. Thunderbird, Apple Mail, and others manage to get it right. Follow their lead.

1 Like

@Barry_Levine

But that is not a problem caused by the sender of the image as she only forwarded a jpeg shot by the camera in her Pixel 6a camera. Blaming the sender is disingenuous as what else was she supposed to do

I not saying it’s a problem with the sender or blaming the senders phone

It’s just a fact that most modern Android and Apple high-end phones like the Pixel 6a as you mentioned (take pictures by default in very high res) unless you adjust them, which in turn then when you first receive the image in an email client, usually will be slow to initially load untill as I mentioned previously is cached locally.

This is not a bug and the mail client is working correctly displaying it how it was sent. Other mailers may reduce the image resolution or pixel size as you say to fit in, but eM Client doesn’t do that and displays it as the original size it was sent in. You can then adjust it after that how you want it displayed by various options in eM Client as in the link below as previously mentioned.

I really don’t know what’s so hard to understand about this.
Thunderbird and other mail programs do not change the image size. No matter how big the image is sent in the attachment.

It will only be resized to fit the ad window, just like on a responsive website.

Even EMClient does this for images sent as attachments. Again, it doesn’t interfere with the images themselves, it just adjusts to the window size so you don’t have to open new windows with any keyboard shortcuts or superfluous clicks to see more than just part of the image.

But it seems to be an impossible task for the developers to do it also with attachments sent with an iPhone or other cell phone…

Cyberzork, the thread you linked just reinforces my contention (and that of every other user): eM Client is behaving incorrectly.

Y’know, there comes a time when, after everyone says you’re behaving like a mule, you start braying.

Thunderbird does display large photos automatically scaled to fit (and it doesn’t take a minute to do so). Apple Mail works properly (I’m looking at my wife’s MacBook Air as I write this).

This is a problem that needs fixing. Please stop behaving like Microsoft by insisting this bug is a “feature”.

1 Like

The embedded image display size is specified in the message code, so that is how the sender, or at least their email application, says it should be viewed. All we can do is display it as they specified. If we try to adjust it, it could break the layout in a non-trivial way.

If you have a Pro license, please open a support ticket with us, and send an example eml file for a message that is changed in this way in Apple Mail or Thunderbird, but not in eM Client, and we can investigate it.

1 Like

It would be very nice if eM Client could have checkbox “Resize embedded images to fit screen width” on/off.
Yes, it is true, some email clients display images resized. Especialy mobile clients do this way, because of small display on smartpones. There should be there a button to switch image resolution to full size too.

Gary & Cyberzork - I’m afraid you are blowing smoke up our USB ports.

Just tested v102.6.1 of Thunderbird. Sent two eMails; one with inserted photo and one with attached photo. The photos were over 4000x3000 pixels. Outgoing eMails showed full-size (not scaled to fit). However, in both cases, Thunderbird received the eMails and displayed the photos properly fit to width and the photos appeared almost instantly, no long delay while the screen draws the photos s-l-o-w-l-y (as in eM Client).

I then inserted a photo from my Android phone (as opposed to attached) into an outgoing eMail. When received by TBird, again, it appears properly fit-to-width and may be clicked upon to enlarge the photo to full-size. In all three cases, this enlargement happens instantaneously with no long painful delay to draw the photos on-screen.

When receiving these eMails on a Mac, the photos are properly sized, fit-to-width. When double-clicked, the photos open up in Apple’s Preview app with no delay.

The reason I started using eM Client was because TBird updates broke the addons used to sync Google contacts and calendar. The syncing issues have been addressed now so I’m abandoning eM Client as it’s become unusable with all the crazy delays and workarounds necessary in order to navigate and access eMails with photo attachments (insertions, whatever…). Waste of money with developers either unwilling or unable to provide proper functionality. (Please, no more BS about “complying with standards”; If TBird and Apple Mail - and even Windows Mail, IIRC - can perform this simple task, so can you.

When you’ve fixed the problem, drop me an eMail; include lots of photos. I promise you that TBird will be able to display them properly.

1 Like

@mbe

Thunderbird and other mail programs do not change the image size. No matter how big the image is sent in the attachment. It will only be resized to fit the ad window, just like on a responsive website.

If that is the case where images (are not resized or rescaled when they arrive in Thunderbird) and images are just displayed responsive to fit in the email window like a website as you say, then I would as @Gary advised if you are an eM Client Pro customer, send in an example .eml message via a support ticket showing this difference how Thunderbird handles it when it arrives so it can then be investigated. Also specify in the support ticket "what resolution you are running on your Windows or Mac computer. eg: 2k, 4k, 5k, etc

@Barry_Levine

Sent two eMails; one with inserted photo and one with attached photo. The photos were over 4000x3000 pixels. Outgoing eMails showed full-size (not scaled to fit). However, in both cases, Thunderbird received the eMails and displayed the photos properly fit to width.

Also recommend you then also send in a .eml example of this 4000x3000 res image being received into Thunderbird if you are an eM Client Pro customer to be investigated. This image size would be a good example to send in. Also specify in the support ticket "what resolution you are running on your Windows or Mac computer.

if neither of you are eM Client Pro customers, then any other users in this thread or forum who are current eM Client Pro customers, send in examples from Thunderbird or Apple Mail.

Big surprise!!!
I have been reading this thread long time. Finaly I put a post with my opinion.
Now I decidet to try out, how the embedded images are treated.
I can’t believe my eyes!!
I sent couple of e-mails from different accounts and from different devices and different email clients. I tried both embeded and attached photo of size 5 MB and resolution 4000x3000 px.

First of all, eM Client displays images resized to width of window (whether in preview window or single mail window).
Second, images are displayed immediately (less then 0,5 second) on 8 years old computer.
What the hell we are discussing about?
Am I the only one, who gave it a try?
Am I the only one, whos eM Client renders images this way?
Embedded images are everytime resized to width, impossible to rescale to 100%.
Attached images are resized to width. There is a button to resize to 100% in upper left corner of image.
Images in sent folder are rendered the same way.
I tried out IMAP4/SMTP account as well as EWS account.
(screenshot)

1 Like

I suspect you are using highly compressed images. I, too, get decent display speed but only with compressed images (typically <1.2MB).

Embedded images are everytime resized to width, impossible to rescale to 100%.

Embedded display at 100%. Gary and Cyberzork declare this and I can confirm.

This issue is no longer on my radar. eM devs show no interest in fixing and, apparently, no one there has Tbird. This is a bit too insular; you do need to know what your competition is doing.

Y’all stay safe and be well.

I did some other tests and I have to correct my previous post. I need more time…

Not sure why there is so much discussion about such a simple thing as downloading images quickly (instantly). Every other e-mail client I have tried does this without issue. eM Client is absolutely unable to do so. After reading all the back and forth BS for a solution, and not finding one, I have just begun a trial with Mailbird. Mailbird downloaded an image attachment instantly! eM Client could not handle the same attachment. Too bad, I love eMClient in every other way, but this stupid issue is a deal killer. Please don’t tell me that the developers are some special breed of genius that can’t relate to or understand why this is a problem.