Password Required / Credentials Rejected Comcast / Infinity

To download the new version V9, Do I click install

After you download the file via the link above in my previous post, you will see a file called setup.msi in your “Downloads” folder. Dblclick it and follow the prompts to install.

Note: Close eM Client before you click the install file.

1 Like

When I went to the link from previous message, I did the download, however the file is called
emclient V9.22258. When I click it it gives a pink menu drop down list with install at the top.

I do not see setup.msi anywhere.

Next, when you say make sure eM Client is closed before I click install file, do you mean that I just
X out of it and it is not actively open on my screen when I click install for new version?

Also, I would like to know if I did my back up correctly. I went to Menu/File/Backup. It took about a
minute. I got a file that says eM Client in my documents. It doesnt say zip drive, but it is condensed.
I assume it stays there so I can reload if necessary.

When I went to the link from previous message, I did the download, however the file is called
emclient V9.22258. When I click it it gives a pink menu drop down list with install at the top

That is the correct, the setup.msi installation (full download name) is emclient-v9.2.2258.msi . So you have the correct one. As I said dblclick it and install it. I’ve never seen a pink colour appear. That might be just a eg: theme colour on your computer.

Next, when you say make sure eM Client is closed before I click install file, do you mean that I just
X out of it and it is not actively open on my screen when I click install for new version?

Yes correct you either press X at the top right of the program to exit eM Client or press the Menu at the top left and exit / close at the bottom to exit. So eM Client needs to be completely closed before installing.

Also, I would like to know if I did my back up correctly. I went to Menu/File/Backup. It took about a minute. I got a file that says eM Client in my documents.

Once your V7 backup is completed, you normally end up with a eM Client dated backup.zip file in your “Documents / eM Client” folder. The easiest way to know if it backed up ok, is to just “dblclick the eM Client backup.zip” compressed file and it should open to view the contents. You can always create a second backup just to be on the safe side.

I would like to proceed with the update.

I found the dated back up zip in documents. But I did not find the Show Operations option on my version. Is that important?

I have not done the double click yet to install the download file called emclient-v9.2.2258. I got the
standard (light pink) drop down list with install at the top with a single click.

Just in case, is there a simple way to uninstall if I needed?

I have not done the double click yet to install the download file called emclient-v9.2.2258. I got the
standard (light pink) drop down list with install at the top with a single click.

As I mentioned previously, I’ve never seen any pink on the eM Client V7 install screen and the pink could be either some eg: Windows theme colour you have in your Windows 10 or possibly a video driver issue where you might need a video driver update.

Just in case, is there a simple way to uninstall if I needed?

To revert back to eM Client V7 (if you install V9 using Windows 10), you would uninstall eM Client V9 via the Windows “Settings / Apps and Features” section as per the following Microsoft link.

When you uninstall eM Client V9 “Delete the database when asked on the uninstall wizard”. Then download the latest eM Client V7 (7.2.50008) via this link from the release history page and reinstall.

Once you then have eM Client V7 reinstalled, then open the program and “skip the initial setup wizard” and then restore your backup via “Menu / File / Restore”. It will then be the same as before.

Okay, I’ll give it a try. I have tried every thing I know to do. Have been without any email on eMclient
for over a week.

May need additional walk thru setting up account with new version.

Editing or Resetting up an account as new is exactly the same as V7.

To edit an existing eg: IMAP or POP account using eM Client V9 for Windows, you click “Menu / Accounts”. Then “click on your account on the left” and you will see either the IMAP or POP Tabs and SMTP Tab to edit.

To setup an eg: IMAP or POP account as new (when in accounts), you can either use the automatic account wizard via the “Add Account” button at the top and entering your email address and follow the wizard.

Or optionally you can manually setup your account via the “Add Account / Mail / Other” if your mail provider doesn’t support automatic account setups. Most do now support automatic account setups.

Okay, great. Quick question. For user name I have been using my xfinity user name and password.
Is that correct? Does it need to be an email address?

Okay, great. Quick question. For user name I have been using my xfinity user name and password.
Is that correct? Does it need to be an email address?

That is something “you need to confirm with Comcast / Infinity” as they only know.

I would suspect your username and password would be your email address and password.

So whatever username and password you login to your Comcast account to access your email, should in theory be the same one you put in eM Client mail setup. But if it doesn’t work verify / check with them.

Sounds good, I’ll do the update.

The new version looks good.
However, can you tell me how to access it, my old icon is missing?

Followed instructions and now have shortcut.

The new version looks good.
However, can you tell me how to access it, my old icon is missing?

If you don’t have an eM Client shortcut icon on th Windows 10 desktop, Click “Start / All Apps” as per the Microsoft link, and you will find eM Client icon on the list of installed programs.

When you find it, “click and hold your mouse on the eM Client icon”, and then drag the eM Client icon to your desktop. You can also then drag it to your task bar as well if you want.

Great. Did that and it worked.

I am attempting to set up new accounts… The first worked, I think. I did automatic, Save and close.
I didn’t have to put in port numbers, but I checked the tabs and its imap 143 force and
smtp 587 force. How can I find out for sure that this is working?

So my second account is not accepting password under automatic. What kind of password is
required here. For the first I used my comcast/xfinity passcode, but that didn’t work for second
account. I also tried manual with same codes as before, but is still not working

Glad for some progress. Your help has been patient and fantastic.

The first worked, I think. I did automatic, Save and close. I didn’t have to put in port numbers, but I checked the tabs and its imap 143 force and
smtp 587 force. How can I find out for sure that this is working?

Suggest to just setup one account at a time and then test that works before adding any other account.

To see if it’s working, create and email “to your same email address” and see if it sends & receives ok. It should then arrive in your eM Client Inbox “shortly after sending the email” if it setup ok.

If your first account sent email doesn’t arrive in your Inbox, them you might need to check your mail settings manually in “Menu / Accounts”

If you are having to manually setup your account if the automatic account setup hasn’t worked, or you need to change any IMAP or POP settings manually, then the below are the correct Port settings that can be used in eM Client as @Gary advised in his post further up the thread.

As I mentioned, we don’t know if the username and password are correct, so if it fails on the username & password after setting it up, you will need to contact Comcast / Infinity technical support to verify those.

(@Gary post extract from this thread futher up)

The ports and their respective security policies are:

SMTP
Port 587 = Force usage of SSL/TLS
Port 465 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Port 25 = Use SSL/TLS if available

IMAP
Port 993 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Port 143 = Use SSL/TLS if available

POP3
Port 995 = Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Port 110 = Use SSL/TLS if available

Yes!!! The first one does work. I sent and received email to/from myself. And the set up was simple.

I have made a couple attempts on the second, which is for someone other than myself/also comcast. The automatic would not accept password. Will try as you have suggested. Any other advice is appreciated.

Yes!!! The first one does work. I sent and received email to/from myself. And the set up was simple

I have made a couple attempts on the second, which is for someone other than myself/also comcast. The automatic would not accept password. Will try as you have suggested. Any other advice is appreciated

As the first mail account setup ok and works via the automatic account wizard, “if the second account is also on the same Comcast / Infinity mail server”, then the problem sounds like your username and password are incorrect for that mail account, and you will need to contact Comcast / Infinity technical support to verify thst second account username and password.

Now if the second mail account “is not a Comcast / Infinity” account, then you will need to contact the technical support of whoever looks after that second mail account to also verify your login username & Password.

Lastly once you get it all working, create another backup via “Menu / Backup” in eM Client V9.2.

The second is on the same Comcast/Xfinity mail server/Account.

I will contact them (in the morning) to verify the second account user name and password.

Once this is all set up, I will do the back up.

The second is on the same Comcast/Xfinity mail server/Account.

Ok so your second email account should setup exactly the same as your first mail account “via the automatic account wizard” once you have verified the username and password with them.

Check you can login ok to the Comcast / Infinity web portal (with your second mail account) and see your mail. Just to make sure that is working.

As if you can’t login to thier web portal and see that mail “with the second login”, that’s probably why it’s failing in the eM Client automatic account wizard.

So when you speak to them let them know if you can’t login to their portal with the second account.

I spoke with Comcast and verified user name and password for the second account. So I can now log into Comcast/Xfinity On Line/mail with this second mail account.

I tried the automatic set up and it did not work. I put in the email and password and got message “Server found but Authentication Failed. Check email and password”

Any Advice?

I spoke with Comcast and verified user name and password for the second account. So I can now log into Comcast/Xfinity On Line/mail with this second mail account.

I tried the automatic set up and it did not work. I put in the email and password and got message “Server found but Authentication Failed. Check email and password.

That’s very strange your second Comcast account didn’t also work via the automatic account wizard “like your first Comcast account”. Should have been exactly the same. Must be the way they set it up.

You will then need to try the "Manual setup via the “Add account / Mail / Other” option in Accounts.

So go into your first Comcast account “that does work” and “write down all the the IMAP and SMTP” settings.

Then add your second account manually with those “exact same settings”. Also check you don’t have eg: caps lock key on when typing your username & password.

Once you finish the setup, check the “IMAP and SMTP tab settings” that they are still the correct and then “Save & Close” accounts.

Now if it still fails authentication with the exact same settings, contact Comcast / Infinity and ask does this account possibly have eg: Two Step (Two Factor authentication) setup with an app password which could then explain why it fails to authenticate.

As I see Comcast / Infinity do now have Two Factor authentication setup on some mail accounts, so could be your second mail account does. If it does, then you need to "use the app password instead of your normal email password) when setting up the account

The other option if two step (2FA) is enabled in your Comcast / Infinity) mailbox is to “Disable that” so then you use your normal email password. So check with them on the technical support if that’s setup and what password you need to use if it is.