Password Protected Startup

The password set in the Menu>Settings>Password Protection window; can this be changed? Also what happens if I uncheck “Use password protected startup”?

Bill

The password set in the Menu>Settings>Password Protection window; can this be changed?

Just “delete the current password fields” and type in new passwords as per the eM Client 9.2 help documentation below.

If you do change your startup password or uncheck password protected startup, you will then will be asked for your Original password to verify as in the below screenshot.

Also what happens if I uncheck “Use password protected startup”?

If you uncheck Use password protected startup, then eM Client won’t ask for a password when the program starts up. So anyone who uses your computer profile login can get into your email.

(eM Client documentation on Password Protection)

https://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/9.2/emclient/default.htm#Settings/Password%20protection.htm?Highlight=password

“Password protection”

“Here, you can set up the password protection when starting up the application by checking/unchecking this option. Here you can also set the password you want to use”

Lastly “if you have forgotten your Original Startup password” and cannot reset the password or disable the startup password protection, then you will have to “Delete the eM Client Settings.dat file” as per @Gary post below from the following thread.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/how-to-reset-the-startup-password-on-em-client-7/60427/2

@Gary post from the above thread link. This works the same in any eM Client version.

“There is a file you can delete, but you will lose most of your settings. You won’t lose any data, nor items like Rules, signatures and templates”.

"Close eM Client, and then delete C:\Users_[username]_\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\settings.dat. You may have to show hidden items in Explorer to do that.

If you have a Mac, then the eM Client Settings.dat file is in the following hidden folder - “Users\yourusername\Library\Application Support\eM Client”

Hi cyberzork,

Thanks for the tip! One more issue - I just got a new computer & the dealer tech transferred all my files over but, unfortunately, I found several issues in the transfer of eM Client. Somehow, the settings for IMAP & SMTP are not working so I can’t send or receive emails! I’ve tried various combinations but still can’t send or receive emails. Here’s what I’m using now:

IMAP
Host: imap.aol.com
Port: 993
Security policy: Use SSL/TLS if available.

SMTP
Host: smtp.verizon.net
Port: 587
Security policy: Force usage of SSL/TLS.

My email address ends with @verizon.net

I also discovered that the emails in my Local Folders, Contacts, & Calendar were not transferred over but I have “manually” brought several Local Folders over but still don’t understand why all of them were not!

Suggestions, please!

Bill

Thanks for the tip! One more issue - I just got a new computer & the dealer tech transferred all my files over but, unfortunately, I found several issues in the transfer of eM Client. Somehow, the settings for IMAP & SMTP are not working so I can’t send or receive emails! I’ve tried various combinations but still can’t send or receive emails.

If you still have access to your old computer, the best way to fix all that, is to use the builtin eM Client backup and restore feature which brings over all your account settings and tags rules etc exactly as it was on the old computer to the new computer.

See @Gary post below from the following thread.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/transfer-em-from-one-pc-to-another/58064/9

@Gary post.

The best method to move to a new PC is thorough backup/restore. As the backup is a complete snapshot of eM Client, it will be exactly the same when restored on another computer, including any preferences or column configurations.

The best way to move eM Client to another computer, and to ensure all your data and settings are brought over is through Backup and Restore.

On the old device:

1. Create a backup through Menu > Backup (Menu > File > Backup in eM Client 7 and older)
  2. Deactivate your license if you are no longer going to use eM Client on this device in Menu > Help > License
  3. Find the .ZIP backup file and move it to your new device (default in …\Documents\eM Client)

On your new device:

1. Install eM Client (http://www.emclient.com/download )
  2. Skip initial setup
  3. Restore from your backup through Menu > File > Restore. If you put the backup file on the new device in the same folder structure as the default (…\Documents\eM Client) the restore will find it right away, otherwise, you’ll need to specify the path where the backup file can be found (Menu > Settings > General > Backup).
  4. Activate your license in Menu > Help > License

Now if you don’t have access to your old computer anymore, but still have the old harddisk complete with your data, you can transfer “the entire contents of the eM Client hidden database folder” from your old harddisk to the new eM Client hidden database folder and then it will be exactly the same that way.

So you would install “exactly the same version of eM Client” on your new computer that you had previously. Then open eM Client and “Skip the setup wizard”. Then close eM Client and delete the current eM Client hidden database folder contents and replace it with your old harddisk eM Client hidden database folder contents. Then reopen eM Client and it will be exactly the same as it was before.

(Windows hidden eM Client database folder)
“Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client”

(Mac Hidden hidden eM Client database folder)
“Users\yourusername\Library\Application Support\eM Client”

But its much easier to do the Backup and Restore method if you still have access to the old computer.