Open the docx attachment

eM Client does not open the Word file (* .docx) attached to the e-mail. My computer does not have Word, but LibreOffice Writer. Other e-mail programs (Windows Mail, Thunderbird) normally open a Word document in Libre Office.

If LibreOffice Writer usually opens .docx documents then all you have to do is to associate .docx documents to LibreOffice Writer.

When you receive a .docx attachement in eMail Client, click to open it. A Windows pop-up will ask you which program you would like to use to open it. Chose LibreOffice Writer.

When I receive a .docx attachement in eMail Client, I click to open it. A Windows pop-up does not ask me which program you would like to use to open it, but The eM Client starts LibreOffice and then I get the message "The file ‘Xx … .docx’ is corrupt and therefore cannot be opened. LibreOffice may try to repair the file. The damage may be due to tampering with the document or an error in the data transfer.
You should not rely on the contents of a corrected document. Macros in the document are not executed.
Do you want LibreOffice to try to fix the file? "
As I said in my previous question, other email programs open the attachment without such an error message.

If you chose to save the file instead, does it open normally when you open it with Libre Office?

No, it does not. If i save the attachment and then try to open it, I get the same error message.

@Marylin If the .docx file won’t open in eM Client when you associate it in Windows as @Son-of-A-Gun advised, and won’t open when saved out of eM Client either with the same corrupt error messages, then could be a few reasons.

You might have some sort of optional email antivirus scanning program running on your pc (in the background), that thought the .docx file was a possible virus when the email was received and tried to automatically repair it and failed. So the file then ended up corrupted.

So if you have any optional Antivirus email scanning programs running, try disabling that temporarily to test and then have the sender resend the original .docx file and see if you can open it again in eM Client. If that then works, you would need to disable the email attachment scanning part of any optional virus program.

Or

Something happened to the .docx file attachment in transmission prior to being received in eM Client from whichever server it passed through and then ended up corrupted when received.

So have the sender resend the original .docx file to see if its still an issue the next time received.

Or

Maybe the .docx file was created with a eg: Later version of MS Word and you need a later version of Libra Office now to open it. So make sure you have the most recent official ver of Libra Writer.

Libra Office website - https://www.libreoffice.org

Lastly check you are running the latest version of eM Client as well just incase you have an older version. Latest EMC versions from - https://www.emclient.com/release-history

Note:- I personally are using EMC V8.1.1060 and Libra Office Writer V7.0.x and have no problems opening any received attached .docx files either directly inside EMC or saved out of EMC.

1 Like

Yes, I have an antivirus scanning program running on my pc. But how is it possible that this problem appears only with eM Client, not with any other email programs?

If something happened to the .docx file attachment in transmission prior to being received in eM Client from whichever server it passed through and then ended up corrupted when received, so how is it possible that the attachment opens properly with fi. Windows Mail or Thunderbird? .

I am using the latest version of the eM Client and LibreOffice.