Not receiving Outlook emails

Hey I am from India and since yesterday eM Client is not receiving emails from Hotmail. I tried several methods to reconnect including deleting existing account, re-adding, manual setting but nothing is working. Please help me. I tried to find solution on the net but I have failed to get any. Is it problem with Microsoft or eM Client I don’t know. If someone has solution, please share it. Thanks and best regards. - holy_man

They just updated TB to version 91 (today). Thunderbird is excellent for IMAP. But for everything to sync with outlook.com, which is also live.com, msn.com, hotmail.com and outlook.com there is no better free or paid for program as eM Client.

I know there will be plenty of readers of this topic for a couple of days so NOTE: Open your Web Browser and log into your email account then keep the browser minimized. You’ll see your new email as soon as it arrives.

Hi Gary,

Are there any disadvantages to setting up an account in eM Client without using Microsoft’s oAuth certificate?

If I do this, what would happen if Microsoft fixed the issue at their end?

Best regards,
Michael

It seems latest version Mozilla Thunderbird v91.1.1 works. I just downloaded latest version of Thunderbird and configured it. If Thunderbird downloads emails from MS servers than what is the problem with eM Client?

The issue with MS is they are rejecting the oAuth certificate.

See my screenshot above. Is your account in Thunderbird setup as oAuth or Normal password?

If Thunderbird is using Normal password, you can also setup eM Client as I described above not to use oAuth, and it will work just fine.

oAuth has the advantage that when you change your account password on the MS server, you do not need to change it in eM Client as well. But whether the account is setup as oAuth or username/password, it still sends and receives messages as normal, so you would never notice any difference from normal use.

What I did is setup my account a second time, using the manual setup. So now I have one Outlook.com account using oAuth, which is not syncing, and one Outlook.com account using username/password which is. When MS get their act together and the original syncs again, I will just remove the second temporary one.

The only different in setting up manually vs. automatic setup, is the manual one won’t have calendar and contacts from the MS server.

1 Like

I am quite confused by all this. My main acccount is an Outlook.com account and it has been working fine since forever (mail, calender, contacts). I set it up as EWS account, using an app-password that I got from the Microsoft web page. The server address is. https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx.
I am no IT expert, but would that not be the solution to all problems discussed here?

Please let me add my thoughts, I realized this problem yesterday. Like Gary said.

1. The problem is with the OAuth protocol on the microsoft side
  2. any email client that uses a plain text password for login will continue to work
  3. em client will be somewhat functional if you add your outlook.com account using the “other” email type. You will then be asked for the plain text password, and outlook mail will be functional again. However, this option does not sync contacts and tasks.

HTH
Lutz

hello
same problem here, I have supressed and reinstalled but it still doesn’t work… :nauseated_face:
saturday 25

This seems to be regional. Some people are getting the problem and others are not. I can’t even get Thunderbird v91 or even Outlook 19 to accept my password, even though that same password works perfectly on live.com via Firefox.

I’m getting Outlook emails through in Thunderbird v91. and online through Chrome :slight_smile:
I’m sure eM Client will say it’s Windows and their Auth problem, But the solution to add my Outlook Account manually isn’t an option, as I already have gmail and outlook, and the Free Version only allows 2 Accounts :frowning:
I really like the working version of eM Client, so I hope you can resolve with Windows ?

Choosing “Other” setup does nothing.
SMTP test fails with these settings (“server not responding”).
IMAP test is OK.
Outlook address remains inoperative in em Client.

sábado 25 septiembre 2021 :: 1300hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @bearpeje

You can disable your existing Outlook account before you add Outlook via “Other”
and then swop back if and when oAuth issue is resolved by Microsoft.
OR
You could always choose to buy eMC

¡Saludos desde la soleada Valencia en España!
¡Mis mejores deseos y mantente a salvo!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Dsiabling the account has no effect before trying to add it as “Other”.
The fault exists and persists in the licensed version of em. (No correlation).

This is a problem at the Microsoft server. Please contact them as it is their server that is blocking the oAuth authentication. If you are not using oAuth, then you will not have this problem.

If your account is setup with oAuth, and you have a free license, remove your existing Outlook.com account, then set it up again using the method I gave above. This will NOT use oAuth, so it will work,

This is not using oAuth, so it will work.

sábado 25 septiembre 2021 :: 1312hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @grimley

Choosing “Other” setup does nothing.
SMTP test fails with these settings (“server not responding”).
IMAP test is OK.
Outlook address remains inoperative in em Client.

What is the entry you have made for SMTP?

¡Saludos desde la soleada Valencia en España!
¡Mis mejores deseos y mantente a salvo!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Please check your Thunderbird settings as I said above. You are not using oAuth, so it will connect.

Your web browser is not using oAuth to connect, nor is it connecting to IMAP. That connection is something else entirely.

As neither of those connections are using oAuth, they are not affected by Microsoft’s server problem.

(Gary - Support)

The issue is not eM Client.

You can setup the account in eM Client without using Microsoft’s oAuth certificate, and it will work just fine.

To do that, go to Menu > Accounts and add an account.
Instead of using the Automatic Setup, choose Mail > Other.

You will need the IMAP and SMTP server addresses, and they are:
imap-mail.outlook.com
smtp-mail.outlook.com

All other settings will be automatic.

You can use that until you contact Microsoft, or they fix their error automatically.

Gary,
I’ve done that, and it works fine with my Outlook Account now :slight_smile:
Can I ask what benefit the oAuth system has, over simply setting it up like you have advised ?