No updates or notifications from subfolders?

Yeah, of course. It is great to support your favorite software that way. :smile:

And also, looking ahead, you may want to add more email accounts even if you don’t end up using it for business.

It is an odd situation. I use server-side filtering a lot because it is more practical when using multiple devices, but then there is the 1 minute delay with eM Client syncing those folders.

But I could let eM Client do the filtering and get notifications in real-time.

A delay isn’t much of a problem. Not seeing notifications is a big issue though. In my case I never actually saw the emails auto-update in eM Client; it just showed a “…” after the folder name that didn’t actually seem to do anything.

I’m trying another client now (Mailspring), which has a similar issue in that notifications only appear for emails in the inbox, but at least the app is open-source so I can just (attempt to) fix it myself.

I think you should try Thunderbird too :wink:

I was previously using Thunderbird and it’s generally quite good, but the UI feels a bit heavy and dated now. It does properly display notifications for emails in folders though, as long as you enable the “When getting new messages for this account, always check this folder” option for the folders. I was also trying Postbox which is a fork of Thunderbird, which handles this correctly as well.

I use Microsoft Outlook at work and while it doesn’t display notifications for emails in folders by default, that’s easily fixed using a client-side rule (after a message arrives, display a Desktop Alert).

1 Like

I agree, UI is not Thunderbird’s best feature. Anyway I see devs are working on it.

Yep, that’s why should be considered in this thread.

I’ve been using Postbox + Enigmail until Thunderbird implemented its own PGP (good) implementation.

I don’t think it is a case of “correctly”. eM Client does not offer notifications for any folder except Inbox, by design. If you want to move messages to other folders, and want notifications (in real-time) then you need to use eM Client Rules to move the messages. That way the message is received in the Inbox first, and eM Client can notify you of it. If they are moved by server-side filters, eM Client will not notify you other than increasing the unread count on those folders if applicable.

If that doesn’t work for you, there are so many other email applications available. Find one that has everything you want and be happy. :smile:

This is not really feasible given I use multiple devices (personal desktop PC, work desktop PC, work laptop, phone, tablet) and want to consistently filter emails across all devices. Server side rules are the best way to do that

It’s a strange design decision :slight_smile: at least make it configurable.

I think it was a decision base on the application overhead. So less CPU and memory use.

The interesting thing is that CPU and memory is more restricted on phones, yet both Aqua Mail and Nine on Android handles this perfectly.

Very, very different things. For one thing, neither are SQL databases.

If you want to argue the point, please take it up directly with eM Client as we are all just users here.

It’s fairly likely that a lot of the Android email clients are backed by SQLite databases. Lots of Android software uses SQLite for data storage.

I figured commenting in their official forum would be a viable way to do that… Do their staff not check this forum? If they haven’t changed this for seven years then I’m not sure me pinging them again will even do anything :confused:

Still not the same thing.

I guess you never read the agreement you accepted when you installed the application. This is a user supported forum, not a method of contact for the company.

We bought a license and due to missing emails we should get instantly, and do not- I will be dealing with my commercial credit card issuer for a refund.

Thunderbird is dated, slow and heavy.
Is anyone else using a client that is light, springy, modern and will post a pop-up THAT stays ( AOL style, yelling YOUVE GOT MAIL) that we can use in a 7 office construction firm? Outlook is not a choice- we use it for back office comm and no one can figure that the browser version is not the Windows mail app… ( it’s the latter we like)

Suggestions please-

You can get a refund directly from eM Client under the money-back guarentee.

You should post this as a separate post instead of it being mixed in with another.

There is a popup message box and sound when a new email arrives in eM Client. Show us a screenshot of the Notifications section of the Settings and perhaps one of the volunteers will be able to help OR open a support ticket (assuming you are using eMC PRO) and get some assistance from eMC support.

hi. as this is kind of the oldest thread on that topic i’ll post here to add my “voice to the chorus of disapproval” as you have phrased it so nicely in your post concerning v8 here . unfortunately also no solution for the problem came out in your own thread “version-8-does-not-show-new-mail-in-folders/64186/13” .

so, as a potential customer of the pro license i emailed to the official eM support today (see my mention of it in thread “copied-text-from-e-mail-unable-to-paste-elsewhere-in-the-system-mac/48559/6”), and the reply was quick: “Unfortunately because you don’t have a subscription to VIP Support, we cannot answer your questions here. Please post them on the Forum […]”.

well, i was disappointed and replied the following:
"thanks for your fast feedback. unfortunately the content is not satisfactory. i only might become a paying pro customer, if i had a prospect of getting a basic working email client for work which means - concerning imap - new-mail-notification for shared imap folders as well as an imap account’s subfolders with unread mail inside.

if you had checked the links from the board, users don’t get a solution for the problem for years from other users (offline reading is no solution), and eM staff don’t state anything substantial like if the problem wil be tackled or not.

to be honest, i’m not willing to pay for a software not being capable of basic imap functionality - and no copy-text-capability from the “preview window”, another ridiculous problem i discovered this morning and reported in the board:
copied text from e-mail unable to paste elsewhere in the system (mac) - #6 by lyrabee

it’s a pity that you don’t get help as a potential customer but only as a paying customer. if i was paying “vip” what would your answer be? “this feature of new-mail-notification for shared imap folders will not be tackled”?

sad; seems i’ll have to stay either with thunderbird or use apple mail app…

regards,

again i got a quick reply, this time saying “Sorry, but you will need to purchase a Pro License and have a VIP Support subscription to get assistance here. I have seen you post on the forum just now, and hopefully someone will be able to help you there.”

so i wonder if any pro licensee here was willing to contact the “vip” support via email to [email protected] and ask for all of us, if the feature of new-mail-notification for shared imap folders as well as an imap account’s subfolders with unread mail inside will be implemented in further updates of v8? or has maybe someone done that lately and i just read over it somewhere?

thanks a lot :slight_smile:

lyrabee

1 Like

Great job and great report, thank you! This story is full of bureaucratic nonsense, almost Kafkaesque. Maybe soon or later devs will realize how important is this feature for advanced users, which eM Client is aimed at. Or maybe not, we’ll see. In the while Thunderbird is growing, the gap is narrowing.

I opened a ticket last week (Friday last week I think) for issues related to gmail. So far still unassigned.

We’ll see what happens.

The short version is eMC is one of the better email clients I’ve found on Windows so far. I do not care for Thunderbird. Outlook and gmail had issues, other clients didn’t have a good filter/rules issue, another client crashed on the size of my mailboxes, and I forget the rest. I went thru 5 or 6 different mail clients over the course of a month. None of them were a slam dunk. All of them were outclassed by a 2012 Mac Mini running Mojave and the built in mail app.

For other reasons I’m trying to move to Windows. However the state of email in windows seems to be so poor that I am rethinking that choice…

2 Likes

I came here for excatly this problem and really wonder, this is still an issue. Needing to check every subfolder by hand is not what I expect from a year 2022 software.

1 Like

c242

I have to assume that I understand your claimed issue.
To be clear all mail that I receive is set to give an audio alert, it is also
possible to have a pop up alert, this is regardless of the final destination
folder set by rules/filters.
By configuring eMC to deliver mail to your designated folders and under favorites to:
UNREAD & ALL MAILBOXES
This negates the need for a manual check as delivered mail will remain as is until dealt with.
Works perfectly for me and I receive in excess of 200 mail messages per day

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.