Need guidance on setting up first account (POP3, Windows 7, etc.)

Hello,

I’ve just installed eM and I’m testing it.

Account setup is a bit too automated to my taste. I’m using Microsoft Outlook 2003 right now, and I don’t want to switch away yet.

Apparently, you can’t use the program at all, not even to have a look at the interface, without associating it with an email address. Is that right ?

I set it up with an unused Microsoft Outlook.com address which is set to POP3.

I was prompted by Microsoft to “authorize” eM. I did, of course, but what does that mean ? Is that compulsory ? What does it mean ? Can one de-authorize eM ?

I was not asked to specify ports or anything like that.

Once created, my account successfully downloaded emails. However, it’s setup as IMAP. I never asked that. I don’t want it. I want POP3.

I don’t see any option to switch to POP3. Is it not possible to toggle from IMAP to POP3 after the account is created ?

Also, I’m under Windows 7. Are there any potential incompatibilities I should know about ? Are there any clues that Windows 7 support might be dropped soon ?

Finally, I haven’t been able to find information about the licensing rules. I know about the perpetual license, but how does the ordinary paid license work ? It seems it’s only valid for a few upgrades, after which the edition number is changed.

What happens then ? Does one need to pay again ? Can the existing program be used without upgrading ? How long does a given edition last ?

Thank you in advance.

Once created, my account successfully downloaded emails. However, it’s setup as IMAP. I never asked that. I don’t want it. I want POP3

You can manually setup eM Client for POP accounts if your mail server still supports that. .

(To setup a POP account manually).

Go to “Menu / Accounts”. Then click “Add Account / Mail / Other” and follow the bouncing ball so to speak.

At the end of the mail wizard you can specify whether you want your messages in a “Separate Folder Tree” or “Store messages in local folders”. So remember to choose before finishing.

Note:- Some mail servers with POP accounts also now require a 2FA with App password as well when settings up the account. So if yours does, enter that instead of your usual password.

Also, I’m under Windows 7. Are there any potential incompatibilities I should know about ? Are there any clues that Windows 7 support might be dropped soon ?

I would advise you look at upgrading to at least Windows 10, as Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft for security updates & patches for years now. So it’s no longer secure.

Also TLS 1.2 is disabled in Windows 7 by default, so you will need to enable that or you will normally get SMTP errors in eM Client V9.x.

(How to enable TLS 1.2 link posted by @Gary) in another link.

https://manage.accuwebhosting.com/knowledgebase/3008/How-do-I-enable-TLS-1-2-on-Windows-7.html

Also (some features) in eM Client V9 don’t work in Windows 7 such as “new emojis” etc due to the older OS doesn’t have support for these newer things / features in the client. So be aware of that.

Finally, I haven’t been able to find information about the licensing rules. I know about the perpetual license, but how does the ordinary paid license work ? It seems it’s only valid for a few upgrades, after which the edition number is changed.

There is options to buy a Pro license with an optional Lifetime upgrade license. See below link for details. https://www.emclient.com/pricing

You can also email [email protected] if you want further info.

Thank you. I missed the fact one needs to use the Other icon when setting up accounts manually, and not the Google icon if it’s a Google account, etc.

Do I understand correctly that when using the automatic setup, the account is set as IMAP, and you cannot change that afterwards ?

I managed to enter the manual setup process, but I did not succeed.

I have a non-working IMAP eM account created automatically for a Microsoft account. It does not work because it’s set as POP 3 on Microsoft’s side. I tried to create a new account manually with the same address. Can this work, or do I have to delete the existing account from eM first ?

Apart from that, the horrendous recent security upgrades make it very difficult to hook up an email client with an email account.

I tried with a Microsoft account and a Gmail account, both unused, both set as POP 3 (I need this). By the way, I’m staying with Windows 7.

Microsoft account

It’s protected by 2FA TOTP. I created a new app password (I already had one for Outlook 2003). It seems that you need one different app password per email client. Do I understand this correctly ?

I copied the address of the POP 3 and SMTP servers from my account. I was not asked to provide the port numbers. Is that normal ?

I applied the Windows 7 registry change you linked to, in order to enable TLS 1.2.

Having done all this, I now pass the POP 3 test. But I still fail the SMTP test. Any ideas ?

Gmail account

It’s only protected by a password. 2FA is available, but it requires a phone number. I won’t provide one. I apply 2FA TOTP with Kee Pass, not with a stupid mobile phone I’d have to spend the rest of my life charging every bloody day.

There’s some very confusing language on Google’s site, whereby you can’t have an app access your account only with a password, you need to activate 2FA, and then you could use an app password, but you can’t use an app password since the 30th of May, except maybe in some cases, or maybe not.

Right now my main email accounts are with Gmail (POP 3), and I can use them normally with my Outlook 2003 client, and an app password. This is supposed to be outdated, but it happens to work.

I tried to create a Gmail account on eM giving out the password, and of course it failed the test.

So how is one supposed to do ? Is eM among the famous “Google approved” programs ? Does it mean you cannot connect to it a Gmail account not protected by 2FA ? Does it mean you cannot connect a POP 3 Gmail account ? Does it mean you cannot connect a Gmail account manually, and it has to be automatic ?

Do I understand correctly that when using the automatic setup, the account is set as IMAP, and you cannot change that afterwards ?

If you use the automatic email wizard setup for a Gmail account, it will be IMAP which has been the standard now for Google accounts for sometime.

So if you want to use a POP setup you have to manually remove the IMAP account and re-setup via the “add account / mail / other option” as you did. You carn’t manually switch that if already setup as IMAP without removing and readding the account again as POP via “Menu / Accounts”.

There’s some very confusing language on Google’s site, whereby you can’t have an app access your account only with a password, you need to activate 2FA, and then you could use an app password, but you can’t use an app password since the 30th of May, except maybe in some cases, or maybe not.

Since March 2022 Google now want all users to now use Gmail as an IMAP account using the OAuth token secure connection method as per this eM Client webpage article. So you should be using IMAP now with all Google Workspace accounts.

However Google were still allowing users to connect as a POP setup using 2FA (Two factor authentication) and an (App password) which some eM Client users did setup. See this link

So as I mentioned previously, this meant when you added your POP account in eM Client via the mail / other option , and (you entered the app password for the password) in the POP setup instead of your normal Gmail account password.

But there is “no guarantee how long that will continue to work” and “is completely up to Google as to how long it works” and they could cut access to POP via 2FA app password method anytime.

Having done all this, I now pass the POP 3 test. But I still fail the SMTP test. Any ideas ?

Go to “Menu / Accounts” and click on your Gmail account on the left. Then click the SMTP tab and update this thread what mail settings you have in there for your mail server, port & security policy.

Also make sure you are using the same Gmail username and 2FA App password or will fail.

jueves 15 diciembre 2022 :: 0914hrs (UTC -01:00)

For you to use POP3 read this

Personally I do NOT use Gmail/Google for anything, however, my two daughters insist on nothing else so I have set up POP3 for them.

At the moment I can confirm that the following procedure works with eMC v9.1.2109 & v9.2.1222 on Win 10 Pro 22H2 & Win 11 Pro 22H2

Here you can see on Youtube how to use setup - watch it a few times to understand what you need to do.
The example is for Outlook but the principle is the same for eMC, I have just checked again.

First you have to make a password for your Gmail account
Save the password to use in eMC later.

Next you must setup eMC as follows
It is easy to do to start:
Menu ->Accounts ->Add account ->DO NOT USE AUTOMATIC ->Click Mail ->Next (Below)
Enter Email ->Next ->Select POP3
Incoming server enter: pop.gmail.com
User name: your email address
Password: what you got from Gmail and saved before ->Next
Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
eMC tests what you enter - be patient while it checks
Then Continue WITHOUT encryption
Finally…
On the last screen you can choose to either “Create a separate folder tree for messages” or “Store messages in local folders”. Do NOT forget to choose before clicking finish or you will need to delete and start again. (probably “Folder tree” is best)
Continue to the end following instructions.

Also here is the eMC 9.x new account support setup link for the automatic or manual email account

https://www.emclient.com/webdocumentation/en/9.0/eMClient/Default.htm#Accounts/Create%20New%20Account.htm#kanchor8

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Praia la soleada en Cabo Verde!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.