Microsoft account (Exchange, Hotmail, Outlook, Live etc.) password requests

No, passwords no longer work with Microsoft accounts.

Ehm, they do here, both the Live and the Exchange accounts, and it’s possible to turn off 2FA in the tenant if so desired.
Something did happen in the MS servers today which apparently kicked all the users out.
The issue is when the authentication fails in EMC, and one has previously logged into a Live account in the browser and clicked the “Keep me logged in” checkbox (or yes to “Stay signed in”), leaving it go for some time.
Attempting to log in on the browser may initially fail authentication, as MS security does not inform you that you are already logged in.
In that case try the “use another account” option in the login prompt dialog when it then (hopefully) defaults to the same Live account as before, and will log you in successfully, and presto, no more EMC errors.

Yes, does not seem to work any longer. When you get to Step 4, once you click Next, it tries to use an App Password again and fails.

Agreed. With plain IMAP I might as well use something else.

Although I think technically eM Client still supports Exchange/Activesync. But not with the free hotmail/outlook accounts.

Although in which case if I were paying for an O365 account, my sub would include the Outlook client and I wouldn’t need to pay for eM Client, IMO.

The article says the change will take place October 1, 2022. Why suddenly are we seeing the error now? Is it because of the latest emclient upgrade?

Also, the instructions say to add a new account. If I do that, my list of emails will be out of order. When is emclient introducing a feature to move email accounts up and down the list to organize better?

It says: " Effective October 1st, 2022 , Microsoft will begin disabling all Basic authentication for existing protocols" and they have been doing it in batches since then. It has nothing to do with the version of eM Client you are using. It is a change made by Microsoft on their servers that affects how the account is accessed and will affect any email application you are using to connect to that account.

Just go to Menu > Accounts and click on the account. Then use the arrow keys on the toolbar to move the account up or down.

Hi Gary, I have been an IT consultant for 30 years. I have removed my old Hotmail connection that was based on an MS App password and then re-added my Hotmail account using the instructions in your link for an OAuth 2 connection. The mailbox connects to the server but continues to have intermittent connection issues with the Red Triangle connection symbol often going RED. This indicates there is an issue with you EMClient not being fully compatable with Hotmail and OAuth 2. You need to raise this issue with your 3rd line support team to investigate further. I would expect you will need to release an update to the EMclient to resolve this issue. In the mean time I can fall back to using my Outlook 365 client but this is not ideal.

1 Like

Yup, same issue here as well. I’m on the same version as you I have emClient on my work and home computers and BOTH of them are doing the exact same thing. Tried creating another app password via MS account and even though I copied and pasted the password… emClient refuses to connect.

Logs show the following:

09:53:08.546|003|
09:53:08.546|003| Exception: MailClient.Accounts.AuthenticationAbortedException: Authentication aborted
09:53:11.113|003| —> Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.EwsHttpWebException: Response status code does not indicate success: Unauthorized ().
09:53:11.113|003| at MailClient.Protocols.Exchange.ExchangeGenericCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
09:53:11.114|003| — End of inner exception stack trace —
09:53:11.114|003| at MailClient.Protocols.Exchange.ExchangeGenericCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
09:53:11.114|003| at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
09:53:11.114|03A| AccountBase.ChangeOnlineState : State changed to OFFLINE due LoginCanceled

Yes, that is because you can no longer use username/passwords to connect to Microsoft hosted accounts. They don’t allow that anymore. Please click on the link I gave right at the top of this topic and follow the instructions there.

I have the same issue. Yesterday I removed my 4 hotmail accounts and added them again as Gary specified.

They work Ok but occasionally get red triangle - seems to happen more on one account that has many inbox folders. Seems to be a server timeout issue. Refresh seems to fix it most times.

But this issue has not happened today. Maybe Microsoft has been adjusting its servers??? I’ll watch it for a while and see if it settles down.

Verification of why i can no longer setup / access my personal Microsoft account as Exchange in eM Client. Only now via IMAP.

It seems as of today using any of my (personal Hotmail, Live & Outlook accounts) “i can also no longer access Notes” via the “MS One Note App” (after logging out and back into the One Note app) with any of my personal email accounts as per the below Microsoft message in the screenshot below.

This has only just happened recently too, so i suspect Microsoft has just applied these changes for all personal accounts and “just took time to apply them”. So sounds like i was lucky mine had still been working all this time but Microsoft eventually caught up with me by the looks of things.

So this “also explains” why i and other personal Microsoft account users were suddenly getting the password problem with Exchange accounts in eM Client where they used to work up until recently.

So there was the Microsoft OAuth login changes forced sometime ago as @Gary advised above with no longer allowing usernames and passwords “even with 2FA generated MS Passwords”, and also now the disabling of all Personal accounts trying to login with Microsoft One Note.

So as @Gary advised, you need to have a Business Microsoft account to add Exchange or as Microsoft states below, “unless explicitly invited as part of an organization”. If you do, then you will be able to access that via the “automatic email wizard” in eM Client and then get Notes.

Note:- For the time being for some reason Microsoft are still (atm) allowing me to access Notes using my personal accounts via the webmail interface. Just no longer via their One Note app or any Mail client. I guess they still want you to have personal notes and why that still works online.

@ [cyberzork]

The problem seems to be less Microsoft than eM Client - other mail apps have already implemented oauth and 2FA. Since August 2022, many other manufacturers have responded and now have a solution ready; but eM Client doesn’t seem to have cared about making this option available to its customers since then - Or when does eM Client plan to make a functioning OWA/2FA available to its customers again? Do we have to wait another 17 months?

@Hausi

The problem seems to be less Microsoft than eM Client - other mail apps have already implemented oauth and 2FA

This is a Microsoft change and nothing to do with eM Client. eM Client has already supported OAuth & 2FA for years now with and without app passwords. This issue is that Microsoft has made a change.

As i said i was able to access my own MS Personal account up to recently using eM Client with 2FA authentication using an Exchange account setup in eM Client, but due to “Microsoft changes” i can no longer. eM Client cannot do anything about that unless Microsoft decide to to reverse that change.

Hi @Gary ,

I’m an IT and I’ve been using the pro version of emclient for many years and worked great because of EWS.

I have hundreds of subfolders for my emails and using exchange is the only way they get updated in a few seconds…
Actually back in the day when I tried many other email clients I chose this over the others for this reason…

Is there any way emclient will work with full exhchange support as advertised? (How We Compare | eM Client)

My only complains of the software were the inability to sort rules by name and the scrolling jittering when reading emails.
I created a ticket many years ago back in version 8 but they were never addressed.

I really hope there will be a solution for using Exchange though since its critical and wouldn’t want to switch client…

Btw for some reason if I click “ok” multiple times on the password authentication windows it eventually syncs successfully…

More info

This red triangle is still happening, but only when the computer wakes up from sleep. If I click on the red triangle, one by one for the four accounts, it works, then seems to be OK until the next sleep wake up.
The message appears if I hover over the red triangle is:
Clipboard01

I still think it is a timing issue.

If Microsoft didn’t make any changes (eM Client already reported this change in August 2022), then we would still have MS-DOS today.
Manufacturers are required to adapt to these changes - of course; but Thunderbird, for example, used the 17 months to be able to deal with it today - And (sorry) eM Client missed the opportunity to prepare for this change and offer us customers a real solution for it.

@John_A

More info

This red triangle is still happening, but only when the computer wakes up from sleep. If I click on the red triangle, one by one for the four accounts, it works, then seems to be OK until the next sleep wake up.

As this is only happening when waking up from sleep mode, “thats an OS issue” with whatever is going on in the background when your computer sleeps & wakes up. If you have tried all the various sleep mode power off options in the OS, then you will need to contact Windows or Mac technical support for assistance to see how to resolve that.

In the meantime, suggest to either shutdown your computer normally or disable the sleep mode and maybe just leave the screen saver on.

@Hausi

And (sorry) eM Client missed the opportunity to prepare for this change and offer us customers a real solution for it

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

eM Client has adapted its program many times over the last few years to work wIth all the major servers such as Microsoft, Google, Apple etc. And it does support the new OAuth and 2FA authentication with IMAP, Exchange, Office 365 and iCloud.

Your original post at the top of the thread was that your are getting asked for a password with an EWS exchange server address. So if those are personal Microsoft email addresses (Non Business & not part of an Organisation), then you need to remove and readd those accounts via the automatic email wizard in eM Client as IMAP accouts as I did today.

It happens on four computers, 2 x win10, 2 x win 11. This issue has never happened before.

I’ll have a fiddle with Malwarebytes and other settings and see what happens.

Please see the instructions in the link I gave above which is the solution provided by us. It allows you to use oAuth with 2FA, which has been available in eM Client for years, long before Microsoft’s disabling basic authentication.