Microsoft account (Exchange, Hotmail, Outlook, Live etc.) password requests

Win10 Mail Works (asked me one time for 2FA), Outlook 2019 works (asked me one time for 2FA), even Thunderbirds has an Update (since 2. August 2022 (your link), which solves the “problem”).
Did you sleep since 2. August 2022?
I’ve buyed eM Client, because I can use S/Mime per Mailaccount…
…And honestly: I expect a solution from eM Client! A solution, which migrates my existing mailaccounts!

I had problems with my Hotmail account after windows downloaded and installed an update. Em Client was asking for a password. I followed the advice of Gary by setting up my account anew and the problem is fixed. During the account setup it asked for setting up an encryption. I continued without encryption. Do you think I should create an encryption? Is it important?

You will only need to do that if you plan on digitally signing messages or sending and receiving encrypted messages. This page in our blog describes how to set it up, which you can do at any time, even after setting up the account.

1 Like

I’m using eM Client since 2017-11-30.
In the meantime I have added about 30 mail accounts (many of them family) and I really don’t feel like having to create them all again.
Others manage to migrate existing email accounts…
…And honestly: I expect a solution from eM Client! A solution, which migrates my existing mailaccounts!

eM Client started to fail login to my Hotmail account in the last couple of days. Logging is worthless. It says what happened AFTER an event, not during an event. I cannot see the login process to see the errors at that time. Since your client will continue to fail login whether I used the stored credentials or enter them manually, my only choice is to abort the popup dialog (hit Cancel). The result is your log tells me the login was aborted. Well, duh, because you would not complete the login. Your log won’t show the auth process DURING that time, only what happened afterward. I get a useless log showing the following:

AccountBase.ChangeOnlineState : STATE CHANGE TO online due User
16:40:55.193|02A|
16:40:55.193|02A| POST /EWS/Exchange.asmx HTTP/1.1
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate

16:40:55.193|02A|
16:40:55.194|02A|
16:40:55.194|02A| <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
16:40:55.194|02A| <soap:Envelope xmlns:xsi=“http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance” xmlns:m=“http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/messages” xmlns:t=“http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/types” xmlns:soap=“http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/”>
16:40:55.195|02A| soap:Header
16:40:55.195|02A| <t:RequestServerVersion Version=“Exchange2007_SP1” />
16:40:55.195|02A| <t:TimeZoneContext>
16:40:55.195|02A| <t:TimeZoneDefinition Id=“UTC” />
16:40:55.195|02A| </t:TimeZoneContext>
16:40:55.195|02A| </soap:Header>
16:40:55.195|02A| soap:Body
16:40:55.195|02A| <m:GetFolder>
16:40:55.195|02A| <m:FolderShape>
16:40:55.195|02A| <t:BaseShape>IdOnly</t:BaseShape>
16:40:55.195|02A| </m:FolderShape>
16:40:55.195|02A| <m:FolderIds>
16:40:55.195|02A| <t:DistinguishedFolderId Id=“msgfolderroot”>
16:40:55.195|02A| <t:Mailbox />
16:40:55.195|02A| </t:DistinguishedFolderId>
16:40:55.195|02A| </m:FolderIds>
16:40:55.195|02A| </m:GetFolder>
16:40:55.195|02A| </soap:Body>
16:40:55.195|02A| </soap:Envelope>
16:40:55.195|02A|
Exception: MailClient.Accounts.AuthenticationAbortedException: Authentication aborted
at MailClient.Protocols.Exchange.ExchangeGenericCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
AccountBase.ChangeOnlineState : STATE CHANGE TO offline due LoginCanceled

Yeah, auth aborted, because your client failed on the credentials given. I used Microsoft’s webmail client using the same login credentials, and had no problem getting to my e-mail account that way via web browser. I know the login credentials are valid. Your client fails the login, but gives absolutely no information DURING the login to see what the login failed.

I need an error console like other e-mail clients have showing the commands or steps DURING login to see at what point authentication failed, and whether it was due to the server reporting an error, or your client not properly authenticating. I keep getting your dialog asking for login credentials, but you never show me just what is failing.

If the problem is your client did not use the refresh OAUTH2 token before the OAUTH2 token expired, then I need to get your client to request a new OAUTH2 token. However, you provide no means of generating a new OAUTH2 token. The only way I figure your client can request a new OAUTH2 token is by deleting the account, and creating a new one for the same server, and have your client request a new OAUTH2 token as part of setting up the account. That’s clumsy, rude, and inane. I have not yet deleted the old Hotmail/Exchange account to create a new Hotmail/Exchange account (to the same server, and using the same login credentials) to test if the problem is eM Client is using an invalid or expired OAUTH2 token. However, this is for Microsoft Hotmail which uses Exchange, so I’m not sure OAUTH2 tokens come into play with this type of account.

Pretty sad situation when I have to revert to using the Mail app in Windows to use my Hotmail account. I have new messages sitting in my Inbox folder that I can using the webmail client to Hotmail, or using the Mail app in Windows. I cannot get those new messages in eM Client, because it fails authenticating to the server. The logs give no information regarding the login process to see where or why the authentication fails. They are insufficiently detailed, and show entries late. I need an error console that shows me what is happening NOW!

I already read the following Microsoft article regarding basic authentication, so please don’t repeat to read the article:

That was dated 17 months ago, but eM Client not able to authenticate just started a couple days ago. OAUTH2 seems to be something used with IMAP (and maybe POP) for authentication. I don’t want to use IMAP with my Hotmail account. I want to use Exchange/ActiveSync, so not only are my e-mail synchronized to the local e-mail client, but so are contacts, calendar, and notes. Exchange provides the sync across multiple services. IMAP is, well, just IMAP. Calender and contact sync would degrade to using CardDAV and whatever for contacts and notes. Without Exchange, just how does eM Client sync not just on e-mail, but also on calendar, contacts, and notes? If eM Client cannot use EWS anymore, do I have to separately subscribe eM CLient to Hotmail for e-mail, and then separately subscribe eM Client to Hotmail Calender, and again for Hotmail Contacts, and whatever for Notes?

So, I take it eM Client is no longer available as an Exchange/ActiveSync client anymore. That’s why I chose it over other e-mail clients. Now it’s devolved into just an IMAP client, and there are lots of choices for those, including many free ones, like Thunderbird (which also supports OAUTH2). I wanted better than Thunderbird, and even paid to remove the 2-account max limit in eM Client. Even the Mail app (soon to get rebranded as Outlook) bundled in Windows manages to connect to my Hotmail account (but not sure how Calendar and Contacts are handled).

If eM Client becomes nothing more than another IMAP e-mail client supporting OAUTH2, might be time to re-review other candidates that can do the same, and are free, too.

1 Like

@VanguardLH

So, I take it eM Client is no longer available as an Exchange/ActiveSync client anymore

If yout want to setup your MS account as Exchange you can do that automatically or manually. See the following the eM CIient support page link.

Note: If its a free personal hotmail, live, outlook account and you want an exchange setup, “you normally have to use the manual setup option”.

Hi Everyone … OK this is starting to drive me crazy … is there a fix for this, I’m getting it at the @mac.com / Iclound account and my Outlook.com.au what is the fix

Related:

That probably won’t work anymore, as the manual setup for Exchange requires the use of a username and password, which Microsoft no longer allows.

All Microsoft hosted accounts need to be setup using the automatic setup, which is the only way to enable oAuth.

Hi,
I have just tried several times to reinstall my Outlook account following the instructions at the top of the page, but it hasn’t worked. I am still being asked to re-enter my password, and failing to access it via eM Client
Any ideas how I can resolve this?
Thanks

@Gary

That probably won’t work anymore, as the manual setup for Exchange requires the use of a username and password, which Microsoft no longer allows.

Yes you are correct. i retested the manual exchange setup in eM Client using my old & even new generated app passwords wirh 2FA “which was working last time i tested it on pc and mac”, and it accepts the app password ok, but then on completion of the exchange manual setup when i click finish the password prompt appears after a few seconds.

So will just have to use the IMAP setup for my personal Microsoft accounts. I loose Notes, but i can get Notes via other apps so thats all ok.

Note: The IMAP automatic setup works fine.

Again: What’s about app-passwords (2FA)?

As I have said multiple times: you can no longer use passwords for Microsoft accounts as Microsoft no longer allows that. They have been phasing it out since 2022. Please see the link I gave in my original response to you.

No, passwords no longer work with Microsoft accounts.

Ehm, they do here, both the Live and the Exchange accounts, and it’s possible to turn off 2FA in the tenant if so desired.
Something did happen in the MS servers today which apparently kicked all the users out.
The issue is when the authentication fails in EMC, and one has previously logged into a Live account in the browser and clicked the “Keep me logged in” checkbox (or yes to “Stay signed in”), leaving it go for some time.
Attempting to log in on the browser may initially fail authentication, as MS security does not inform you that you are already logged in.
In that case try the “use another account” option in the login prompt dialog when it then (hopefully) defaults to the same Live account as before, and will log you in successfully, and presto, no more EMC errors.

Yes, does not seem to work any longer. When you get to Step 4, once you click Next, it tries to use an App Password again and fails.

Agreed. With plain IMAP I might as well use something else.

Although I think technically eM Client still supports Exchange/Activesync. But not with the free hotmail/outlook accounts.

Although in which case if I were paying for an O365 account, my sub would include the Outlook client and I wouldn’t need to pay for eM Client, IMO.

The article says the change will take place October 1, 2022. Why suddenly are we seeing the error now? Is it because of the latest emclient upgrade?

Also, the instructions say to add a new account. If I do that, my list of emails will be out of order. When is emclient introducing a feature to move email accounts up and down the list to organize better?

It says: " Effective October 1st, 2022 , Microsoft will begin disabling all Basic authentication for existing protocols" and they have been doing it in batches since then. It has nothing to do with the version of eM Client you are using. It is a change made by Microsoft on their servers that affects how the account is accessed and will affect any email application you are using to connect to that account.

Just go to Menu > Accounts and click on the account. Then use the arrow keys on the toolbar to move the account up or down.

Hi Gary, I have been an IT consultant for 30 years. I have removed my old Hotmail connection that was based on an MS App password and then re-added my Hotmail account using the instructions in your link for an OAuth 2 connection. The mailbox connects to the server but continues to have intermittent connection issues with the Red Triangle connection symbol often going RED. This indicates there is an issue with you EMClient not being fully compatable with Hotmail and OAuth 2. You need to raise this issue with your 3rd line support team to investigate further. I would expect you will need to release an update to the EMclient to resolve this issue. In the mean time I can fall back to using my Outlook 365 client but this is not ideal.

1 Like