MailWasher and eM Client

I am considering using MailWasher to filter out spam and other unwanted email garbage and was wondering if anyone in this forum has any experience with its interaction with eM Client (good or bad).

On their website, they say that “MailWasher lets you preview all your email before it gets to your computer or mobile device, enabling you to read all your email securely, and instantly delete any unwanted or suspicious email. Your remaining good email is downloaded to your PC or mobile device, so you avoid any spam or email viruses in your PC.”

Does this mean eM Client has to be offline most of the time? If so, what is the point of IMAP?

Look forward to your findings Al.

I’m a POP3er but I am not sure I would like to eMC offline. I will have to do a more through look thru the settings, etc and then pepper the MW support people for some clarification.

I have been using a fantastic spam filter called POPFILE for MANY MANY years but each new version of Windows 10 causes issues with keeping it running (goes to sleep on occasion).

I don’t necessarily like to alter my “habits”… :wink: :smiley:

POP3 is offline until the scheduled sync, and I believe that is the exact scenario that MailWasher is designed for. It gives you a chance to preview your messages using their application before eM Client downloads them.

With PUSH IMAP, which is what eM Client uses by default, the application is constantly listening to the server. That is why when someone sends you a message, within a second it is there in your eM Client Inbox. I don’t see how MailWasher fits into that equation.

Hopefully someone using MailWasher with eM Client in POP3 mode will comment for your benefit Al. If someone is using it with IMAP in eM Client, I would be interested to know how that works.

viernes 04 diciembre 2020 :: 2009hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @sunriseal

We’ve been using MailwasherPRO since 2005, we have never had a problem in all that time nor have we ever had a SPAM or other Phishing type email in that time that hasn’t been caught by MWP.
I have personally have my copy set to automatically check 14 email accounts, a combination of both IMAP & POP3, at 6 minute intervals.
You can have eMC running all the time online, you can set MWP to automatically forward ‘clean’ emails to your chosen email client.
I think they offer a 30 day trial.

You can read all about it at:

Whilst there you should look at their VPN HideAway, we have also used this since it was launched.

Want to ask any specific questions - just ask!

No, I don’t work for them or have any connection other than the fact that I think they are fantastic people to deal with who have a great products.

¡Saludos desde la soleada España!

Skybat

[email protected]

So that means you only get your IMAP emails every 6 minutes?

Besides syncing the same data across multiple devices, the benefit of PUSH IMAP over POP3 is that emails arrive in eM Client immediately.

viernes 04 diciembre 2020 :: 2028hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @Gary

Yes, but that is not an issue as far as we are concerned as we have eMC sync set to 90mins and nothing is that urgent, the autochecking can be reduced to 60 secs though this is not advised as many email servers cannot deal with logins that are too frequent and the result of many failures.
The vast majority of our emails are internal with our approx 156 users, those that are external are not time critical.

Skybat

[email protected]

Appreciate the response. I have their VPN app on the list to check out after I get unconfused about MW.

With MW running and eMC running does one have to change any settings in eMC, specifically “Synchronization”?

viernes 04 diciembre 2020 :: 2032hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @sunriseal

No, you don’t need to change anything in eMC and as a POP3 user it shouldn’t affect you anyway.

Any questions, just ask and I’ll help if I can.

Skybat

[email protected]

Well, that’s fine for POP3, but what about IMAP? Do you keep eM Client offline between the MailWasher 6 minute interval?

I sent MW support an email outlining my understanding of the workflow between MW and eMC after I did a semi-setup of MW and found out that I had to turn off the following eMC settings:
Leave mail on server for x days
Auto-check (Synchronize settings)

The support response was:

“Yes, that is correct, you set MW to automatically check mail, when new mail arrives it alerts you, you mark any email for deletion you don’t want and click Wash Mail.
Then open your email program and check mail.
This way, all spam and virus type emails are deleted from the mail server directly before they can reach your PC.”

I am a creature of habit and having to manually check for new emails via eMC, not being able to keep x days on the server, etc. does not sit well with me and have suspended further inquiry into MW.

My thanks to those that have contributed to this discussion so far, it is appreciated.

Right, so that means eM Client needs to be closed most of the time! Or at least kept offline until immediately after doing your wash.

That’s my take on this.

lunes 07 diciembre 2020 :: 0949hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi All…

Sorry if I caused some confusion as I did not make it clear that I use the server side version of MWP which of course does not leave eMC off line whereas the local version does, however, this does not detract from the fact that it is an excellent product.
If anyone decides to purchase MWP I will be happy to make available pre-configured & tested anti-spam filters with full installation instructions.

Skybat

[email protected]