Mail disappears from Unread Inbox

I saw other posts with similar titles but the description doesn’t sound the same, so here goes:

Since the last update, mail that is Read is being removed from the Unread folder. I know that doesn’t sound like a problem, but stay with me here.

When the client opens and launches into a Send/Receive, by the time it finishes, the email that was highlighted in the Unread inbox (which was the last email I received before the client was last closed) gets marked as Read but now there’s a whole stack of new emails that push it down the list. If the client is minimized or gets pushed back behind another active window, when I pull the client up again, that email is no longer in the Unread folder and so I have no idea that I had received that email unless I go back through each individual Inbox to look for something I missed.

Before the update, emails in the Unread box would stay in the Unread box even after they were read until I closed the client. The next time I launched the client, the Unread box would clean itself out of the Read emails. Now when I flip back and forth between the mail client and other active windows, I will lose all the emails in my Unread inbox without ever seeing them because each time the client is minimized, another email gets marked as Read and dropped out of the Unread box.

The only way I can see around this is to turn off the time-out that makes the highlighted email Read and then manually mark each email as Read when I read it, but that would be a huge PitA. How can I make the Unread box hold the emails until the client is closed like it did before the update?

TYIA

Version: 8.2.1237 (b402cf3)

Once email is read (in any acct Inbox) it will automatically disappear from the “Unread” folder as they are connected together and you will then be left with that Read mail (only in your Inbox). Closing and reopening eM Client won’t change the status back to Unread as its already been read in the Inbox.

You would need to disable “Mark messages as read after displaying for x seconds” to keep the status as Unread (to show in the Unread folder) when you close and reopen eM Client.

Thank you for your response. Maybe I didn’t explain my problem well enough, because that doesn’t really address my issue. I wanted a way for the Unread inbox to be handled the way it was before the update so I don’t lose mail that I haven’t read yet.

Sry the update seems to work differently now for the Unread folder.

For me personally prior to the update the unread folder worked exactly the same way as it does now. Unread mail disappears from the unread folder once it has been read in the Inbox in each account.

You will never loose mail you haven’t read as its always in your Inbox (even when read) unless you have a rule that is moving it to a specific folder outside the inbox.

It’s definitely working differently for me after the update. Now mail that I hadn’t read yet, if it was highlighted when the client was minimized, will drop out of the global Unread folder. I wouldn’t know I had received it unless I went back through each individual inbox looking for mail I hadn’t seen. I can minimize and restore the client multiple times and one by one, all the mail drops out of the global Unread folder without me having read any of it. Maybe my client wasn’t working correctly before the update and now that it’s working as intended, I have to rethink how I hold unread emails. I hate it when a program annoys me, I’ve turned off the timer that auto-marks mail as Read so I stop losing emails before they’re read. If this is how the client is intended to work, there isn’t anything else I can do.

Now mail that I hadn’t read yet, if it was highlighted when the client was minimized, will drop out of the global Unread folder

That’s how its supposed to work when you highlight an email (even if minimized) with the mark messages read after displaying for x seconds enabled. The only way to avoid that is (as you have done) with disabling the mark messages read option.