It just stopped working !

I had  my last emails  via eMClient  on Tuesday…nothing since. I have sent  two emails  to the employee  who wrote
 “Hello all,
I hope we can sort this out together ASAP.” in this forum but have had  no response. I therefore  echo  your  statement "
I notice there is no company response of any significance".
How  this  email client ever  earned  its place  as  the no.1 best client in all the surveys is beyond me. Surely in 2017 , an effective, reliable  email system is not beyond the wit of man?

So has  anybody  had  any success in sorting this out?..It’s  now  3  days  for me.

No luck here. I’ve spent hours today getting myself set up on another email program. eM Client is great, but poor reliability trumps all advantages. It was great while it lasted, which wasn’t nearly long enough. :frowning:

Can I ask which programme  you  used instead? Very disappointed here…it looked  so promising  when the ‘employee’  said he wanted  to get it sorted  ASAP…since then…nothing !

I’m moving to Postbox. It’s too soon to know how that’s going to work out, but it was another program that was recommended to me by a techie sort who researched all the available options quite thoroughly. (always nice to ride on someone else’s work :))

Based on the various programs I’ve looked at so far, it appears that getting your address book in .csv form is the most transportable file type. That’s what took a lot of my time today–I’ve been backing up in .vcf, eM’s only option, and that’s not compatible with Postbox. It appears that I get a 30-day trial of Postbox, after which I can buy it if I want to; pretty sure it’s a one-time $40 fee but I could be wrong. I just need something to work and keep working.

Even a trial run of anything new takes a LOT of time. Does for me, anyway. That’s a much bigger deal than the money side, really.

Thanks for that…I’ll look into it. Never really  liked  the way eMClient  presented  my address book anyway. I used to use  the Windows   one ( was it Outlook?)  but it got  corrupted  and  I found they no longer  did it so I couldn’t  repair it…and it’s   all been trouble  every since !

Wow, that sounds remarkably familiar. I was a happy LiveMail user until it died on my main machine (still works on my laptops) this summer. I was going to uninstall/reinstall it, and that’s when I learned that MS doesn’t support LiveMail anymore. Had a stressful and painful involuntary transition to Windows 10 Mail, which turned out not to have a feature that I really need. That led to another stressful transition to eM Client in July. Now here I go again. Man, I miss LiveMail.

I’m happy I’m not the only one.
Today I updated eM Client to 7.1.30794.0 and it was when all the trouble starts to happen.
It is receiving e-mails but not sending it. It’s sending e-mails normally through Webmail and Mozilla Thunderbird, only eM Client stopped working. It says “Authentication failed” to SMTP, and none config was changed. I’ll try to create a new account and send the log. The problem is the eM Client, I’m sure of it. Sadly there is little to non-support from eM Client team. I’m in doubt if eM Client supports TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2, or if it supports STARTTLS. My mail server does not use encrypted passwords.

Having had no response  from the eMClient employee who vowed  “I hope we can sort this out together ASAP.” , I decided  to take  the chance and uninstall and reinstall the programme  this morning. Result…no change.  All is restored as before  with emails  up until Tuesday and nothing since…and, of course,  no emails  coming in or going out. I thought I’d have a look at said ‘employee’…this is his record so far…13 likes out of 255 replies  is a pretty low  strike rate in my opinion.

Russel Markosky

Employee · Joined community on April 19, 2017

Yes…Livemail…that was  the one. Brilliant, simple, effective…until it got corrupted  and then I was on my own. How is Postbox?  The reviews  I have read  like it but only  talk about using it with gmail…I want to use  Yahoo as  well. Have  you tried that?  Was it easy to set up?

That’s very interesting about Russel. In fairness, eM Client did tell us all that there was no support with the free version, so there you go. I never expected such a colossal failure of the program, however. Based on this experience, I would never consider their paid service.

As to Postbox, I’m still in setup. It took hours to get my address book sorted out and my email groups set up (had to enter group members one at a time, with a total of over 200 members to deal with). Today, I hope to figure out how to establish some subfolders for messages as there’s no obvious track to doing that yet–I figure it has to be there. I need to see what happens when I send out a group email. If all of that goes well, I guess I’ll just stay put with it and hope for the best.

I can’t comment on gmail or Yahoo since I don’t use them. I work straight from my Comcast accounts.

Having a similar/same(?) problem. After launching the eM Client, a pop-up tells me (in German): “em Client konnte die letzten 14 Tage den Update-Server nicht erreichen” (own translation: em client cound’t reach the update-server for the last 14 days). The error message continues and indicates a problem on an outgoing connection (unexpected error while sending). But there is no problem reaching the internet, the mail server (google) or a change in password. May be a server from em Client is down ?? Blocking all clients after 14 days…??

I tried

• removing the google account and reinstalling it
  • removing the application an reinstalling a new download (7.1.xxx)…

but the error message remains and eM Clients turns offline (black status on the GUI) - but of course is NOT set to offline mode.

Note: another installation on a different machine in my local network still runs perfectly (different gmail account) !

Any suggestions? What about turning back online the update-server??!!??

Wow, there is more people facing problems about connectivity with eM Client here.
I do not know what eM Client dev team made on the last update, but probably breaks it.

The following message appears when I try to send an e-mail through eM Client:

Of course, that is not my real e-mail, but it was informed at that format. I tried to inform it without informing the domain ("@sinos.net") but the same message appears anyway - and it works on Thunderbird without the domain part. Anyway, I do not believe that it is the cause of the trouble.

In fact, I’m facing this issue in 2 computers upgraded to eM Client 7.1 (latest version).

Here is the SMTP log:

09:46:52.379|01D|   SMTP S: 220 smtp.sinos.net ESMTP SINOSNET
09:46:52.379|01D|   SMTP C: EHLO [192.168.1.14]
09:46:52.476|01D|   SMTP S: 250-smtp3.sinos.net
09:46:52.477|01D|   SMTP S: 250-PIPELINING
09:46:52.477|01D|   SMTP S: 250-SIZE 38554432
09:46:52.477|01D|   SMTP S: 250-ETRN
09:46:52.477|01D|   SMTP S: 250-STARTTLS
09:46:52.477|01D|   SMTP S: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
09:46:52.477|01D|   SMTP S: 250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
09:46:52.478|01D|   SMTP S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
09:46:52.478|01D|   SMTP S: 250-8BITMIME
09:46:52.487|01D|   SMTP S: 250 DSN
09:46:52.487|01D|   SMTP C: STARTTLS
09:46:52.590|01D|   SMTP S: 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
09:46:52.812|01D|   SMTP C: EHLO [192.168.1.14]
09:46:52.903|01D|   SMTP S: 250-smtp3.sinos.net
09:46:52.903|01D|   SMTP S: 250-PIPELINING
09:46:52.903|01D|   SMTP S: 250-SIZE 38554432
09:46:52.903|01D|   SMTP S: 250-ETRN
09:46:52.903|01D|   SMTP S: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
09:46:52.903|01D|   SMTP S: 250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
09:46:52.903|01D|   SMTP S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
09:46:52.904|01D|   SMTP S: 250-8BITMIME
09:46:52.904|01D|   SMTP S: 250 DSN
09:46:52.904|01D|   SMTP C: AUTH CRAM-MD5
09:46:52.963|01D|   SMTP S: 334 PDEyMTMzMTAzMDI0NDMyNzcuMTUwNzk4NTIxMUBzbXRwMy5zaW5vcy5uZXQ+
09:46:52.964|01D|   SMTP C: aXRuQHNpbm9zLm5ldCA3ODkzNDExYTdmM2E2YjdlOWI4Yjc0MGNhNjY1ODExMA==
09:46:54.510|01D|   SMTP S: 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: PDEyMTMzMTAzMDI0NDMyNzcuMTUwNzk4NTIxMUBzbXRwMy5zaW5vcy5uZXQ+

Of course, my SMTP password is not wrong, because I’m using the same credencial for POP, and it is working normally.

Below is Mozilla Thunderbird log from the same mail provider:

[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Connecting to: smtp.sinos.net:587
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 0
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 220 smtp.sinos.net ESMTP SINOSNET
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 14
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Send: EHLO [192.168.1.8]
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-smtp3.sinos.net
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-PIPELINING
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-SIZE 38554432
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-ETRN
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-STARTTLS
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-8BITMIME
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250 DSN
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 4
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 21
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Send: STARTTLS
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 19
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 14
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Send: EHLO [192.168.1.8]
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-smtp3.sinos.net
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-PIPELINING
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-SIZE 38554432
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-ETRN
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250-8BITMIME
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250 DSN
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 4
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 21
[Main Thread]: D/SMTP SMTP auth: server caps 0x22334, pref 0x300, failed 0x0, avail caps 0x300
[Main Thread]: D/SMTP (GSSAPI = 0x800, CRAM = 0x2000, NTLM = 0x4000, MSN =  0x8000, PLAIN = 0x200, LOGIN = 0x100, EXTERNAL = 0x400)
[Main Thread]: D/SMTP trying auth method 0x200
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 16
[Main Thread]: D/SMTP SMTP AuthLoginStep1() for [email protected]
[Main Thread]: D/SMTP PLAIN auth
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP Logging suppressed for this command (it probably contained authentication information)
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 18
[Main Thread]: D/SMTP SMTP Login response, code 235
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 3
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Send: MAIL FROM:<[email protected]> BODY=8BITMIME SIZE=513
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250 2.1.0 Ok
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 5
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Send: RCPT TO:<[email protected]>
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 250 2.1.5 Ok
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 6
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Send: DATA
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP Response: 354 End data with .
[Main Thread]: I/SMTP SMTP entering state: 7

Of course, I removed confidential information from the log (only changed my e-mail and rcpt e-mail)

The Thunderbird log appears much more friendly: it appears to try to negotiate the authentication, eM Client apparently tries to forces it - maybe it is related to the eM Client configuration differs from Thunderbird (I couldn’t find STARTTLS on eM Client that my Thunderbird is using). But appears that eM Client fails on the handshake, before the authentication is send. But I’m not an expert on e-mail or criptography, so we need help.
Below there is eM Client POP3 log, that is working normally. Password is passed in clear text, so I removed it, and changed my email to emclient instead of the real one.

10:23:01.751|025| POP3 S: +OK mail.sinos.net Zimbra POP3 server ready
10:23:01.751|025| POP3 C: STLS
10:23:01.797|025| POP3 S: +OK Begin TLS negotiation
10:23:01.995|025| POP3 C: CAPA
10:23:02.067|025| POP3 S: +OK Capability list follows
10:23:02.068|025| POP3 C: USER [email protected]
10:23:02.119|025| POP3 S: +OK hello [email protected], please enter your password
10:23:02.119|025| POP3 C: PASS Logging suppressed for this command (it probably contained authentication information)
10:23:02.171|025| POP3 S: +OK server ready
10:23:02.172|025| POP3 C: LIST
10:23:02.223|025| POP3 S: +OK 286 messages

10:23:02.356|025| POP3 S: .
10:23:02.361|025| POP3 C: RETR 286
10:23:02.420|025| POP3 S: +OK message follows
10:23:02.520|025| POP3 C: QUIT
10:23:02.564|025| POP3 S: +OK mail.sinos.net Zimbra POP3 server closing connection

Just for joking: when I tried to open a message, eM Client stopped working, haha. Maybe Microsoft found a solution for us (“The Windows is looking for a solution for this problem…”), because eM Client team is missing here… I want to believe that they have someone that read their messages on the weekend.

@Chary did you checked if there is some proxy configuration appliend in the Internet Options at Control Panel? Did you tried to delete the folder “eM Client” at C:\Users[YOUR-USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\eM Client? CAREFUL: IT WILL ERASE ALL YOUR EM CLIENT DATA. YOU WERE WARNED.

I’m slowly getting happier with Postbox. My large group emails work. I’ve figured out subfolders. There’s a decent user help guide.

The only sad face so far regards importing messages from eM Client, which does not appear to be possible. Imports are possible from several named programs, and eM Client isn’t on the list. When I tried importing anyway just to see what would happen, I got a message saying that “no mailbox was found.” I tried it a number of different ways, always with that result. This is disappointing but not a dealbreaker. It just means more data-entry work and, well, I’m getting used to that these last few days.

Ooh, I’ve found a workaround on the import issue. It’s a clutzy one, but worthwhile. I have all my eM Client messages backed up in a separate file. I’ve discovered that I can go to any of those messages and open them, selecting Postbox as the program to use. Once that’s happened, I can send them to myself and receive them in Postbox. The only thing that’s lost is the original sender since it now shows me as both sender and recipient, but the subject line and all content moves over just fine. For the ones that really, really matter, this is a way I can get them over to the new system.

I tried to downgrade eM Client to version 7.0 but it is not possible. When I tried to downgrade, eM Client informs that a newer version of eM Client updated the database and the update is obrigatory.
I tried to downgrade to all 7.1.x versions available on www.emclient.com/release-history, but the problem continue.

I’m glad it’s worked for you. I have tried Mailbox, Postbox and Outlook Express…none of them will  link to my  Yahoo server. Clearly eMClient  has  wrecked  some  part of the IMAP connection. So I am stuck with  viewing  my emails on the Yahoo webpage  which means I have to be online to access  the  mails and their  contents/attachments. As I am often in places  where  this is no wi-fi and no data, this is  a  major  inconvenience and I am pretty  upset about it. As for the bringer of  false hope ( employee ‘RM’)…I am biting my tongue !.

I’m so sorry to hear that. It sounds like this is causing you even more problems than it has caused for me, and it’s been a total pain here. FWIW, I’ve discovered that Postbox can open my old emails from my backed up files and not only can I send a response from there, but it will be copied to my sent box just as if I’d had the message in Postbox to begin with.

Given what’s happened with eM Client and how I was just starting to feel pretty content with it when it blew up unexpectedly, I don’t imagine I’ll feel all comfy about Postbox or anything else anytime soon. Backup, backup, backup. I learned that lesson the really hard way quite some time ago and have been grateful for it ever since. It means a ton of work when it’s time to rebuild, but at least it’s possible to rebuild.

Are you using XP?  Unfortunately eM Client no longer supports that OS.

you have to uninstall eM Client.  This will NOT delete your data files.  Once you uninstall, you can install an earlier version of 7.x.