Intuitive Rule Creation (as in Outlook)

I’m moving from Thunderbird and found two significant differences in the rules logic.

The first is to use rules to set the flag on important emails, but I don’t see that option.  Did I miss it somewhere?

Second, I have multiple rules set up with  From contains “Amazon” , which captures addresses from  amazon.com  and ones labeled as  Amazon , but sending from an outside server.   For unusual addresses, I could search for body or subject content, but everybody and their brother includes Amazon links.

I’ve tried  *.amazon.com , but that’s not working. What is the correct syntax?

I have experience with Outlook and Thunderbird, but have been using EM Client for quite some time, and have been suffering poorly organized emails under EM Client. The reason is simple – creating rules in EM Client is a total pain in the neck, and this is an important feature of email – it goes to the heart of keeping emails – including both current and history – organized.

At the very least, save us immediately from this ridiculous three-click access to “Rules” each time it is needed – put Rules on the ribbon across the top so that it is quickly available as needed. How hard is that? Surely you could do that almost immediately? That would be a major first step

For people with complex email requirements (i.e., the people who will pay your $50 fee) this is not a nice-to-have, it is one of the features that makes or breaks an email client. It is a major way we keep our days sane. Please do not treat this as a peripheral issue. Please acknowledge the need and get it done.

Actually my comment above is not correct. You can create a Rule to find senders from a domain, or part of a domain by using the with words found in the header option. Then to find all sender from ebay, you enter From: ebay.

I think that the reason Rules are not on the ribbon, is that they are meant to run automatically. You create it, and then forget about it, and it just runs in the background processing messages as they arrive.

I guess if you wanted Rules that you run manually, then that would be very useful place to put them for quick access.

Rules aren’t best on the ribbon so that they can automatically execute  – they should be on the ribbon to be immediately accessible (one click, instead of the current three) to easily modify or create a rule on-the-fly as emails are read and dealt with. Rules are effective when they are an integral part of dealing with emails, as needed, and actively kept current.

At the moment you deal with an email from a new correspondent, unless it is a one-off, best practice is to create a rule on the spot so that all future emails go to the appropriate folder. A stack of unsorted emails from the same person is really poor organization. What a big difference easier access to rules would make.

What harm comes from making the “rules” button optionally available on the ribbon via the customize button – available to turn on for folks like me, or not? I could easily make room for it by turning off at least three of the buttons that are there by default that I’ve never used. Is there a down side to making a customizable ribbon even more customizable?

1 Like

Maybe you misunderstand what Rules are, or I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

In eM Client, Rules are automatic. You don’t need to click on them to make them run. They do it on their own, in the background. There is no need to have buttons to click for theses Rules run.

If you are asking for a button to make it easier to create a NEW Rule, well you can do that in a single click the same as in many other email clients. Just right-click on the sender’s address . . .

Once the Rule is created, it will run on it’s own, and process all new messages as they arrive.

Of course I was referring to the convenient creation, not execution, of rules.

I had not found the right-click technique for opening the rules box that you describe, but I agree that is good enough for quick access. However, when I did a search in the Help documentation, the only reference to accessing the Rules dialogue that comes up is this: 

"You can create and manage your rules by selecting Menu -> Tools -> Rules…"

Is the right-click technique described in the documention somewhere? I can’t find it but I’d like to read about it and any other such short cuts that I’m not aware of.

Thank you for describing the right-click technique.

No, I don’t recall it being mentioned anywhere. 

It’s a great thing to know; if it’s not documented it’s pretty much non-existent for all practical purposes.

Furthermore, creating a rule is not necessarily directly related to an email address that happens to be before your eyes – so, I still think it should be available on the ribbon as an optional button. And the ribbon options are documented so the Rules button can be found and installed. The right-click seems to require insider knowledge?

1 Like

I’ve just discovered that you get two different windows, depending on how you go to the Rules creation page.

If you right-click an email address you jump right to a window where you have to select multiple options on successive pages, which is a multi-click hassle.

HOWEVER, if you go there by clicking Menu-Tools-Rules, then you arrive at a page where you can one-click select from a handful of useful options and the most useful option is right there. THIS is the page you really want when you right click an email address!

Can the right-click on email address be changed to go to the same page as the Menu option?

Well, the pop-up is the exactly the same, except that by right-click on the sender’s address, that address is automatically populated in the Rule, whereas Menu > Tools > Rules method requires you to enter an address manually.

Your first screenshot above is the second screen of the second screenshot. But because the first option is automatically selected, i.e. move a message from someone to a folder, it opens directly to the second screen.

Yes, by right-click on the sender’s address, you are skipping the first screen you see when you create a new Rule by the other method.

So this is the method for conveniently creating a Rule from a person. The method you use by Menu > Tools > Rules, you can get to the same place, but it requires more clicks and entering the email address. Right-clicking the address gets you to the same place, just quicker.

Does that make sense?

The other method when you go Menu > Tools > Rules, offers many other templates because it has not been opened from right-click on a sender’s address.

I am withdrawing from this thread because it is just going in circles.

Well, you are so right – I didn’t follow through far enough neither method is satisfactory. This Rules system needs help, I hope it gets it and I hope user input is solicited.