Intuitive Rule Creation (as in Outlook)

I has been “under consideration” for three years now. It shouldn’t be that hard to implement a “right-click” on a mail and create rule from that mail.

Hi Lars, the feature is under consideration, no set decision to include the feature in eM Client has been set yet.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul

Well you need to speed up the decision if you want more customers like myself. I’m currently evaluating your product, but it has some serious shortcomings. And for something like create rule from mail to still have no decision for 3 years is very worrisome. You really should look at Outlook and Postbox for ideas on how they create rules and what their editor/rules engine supports.

Hi Adrian, you can create a rule from recipient’s from address by right clicking the from address and select  “Create Rule from”, more options are under consideration.

Regards,
Paul

It would be great to create a rule with multiple OR fields. When I check multiple conditions they are always and-ed.

Perhaps you should “like” this posting here :wink:

https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/enhancements-for-rules

I’ve made some proposals for enhancements to the rules and hopefully they are addressed in the next release.

Glad I read this before handing out more money for an upgrade to version 7. This is not a complicated feature (which is clearly an  issue  for many) and I just can’t understand why you can’t scrape together the time to implement it.

Simplified rule creation is more important than these mostly useless features you’ve just introduced.  
Customer lost.

I can only point you to my list of missing features: https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/enhancements-for-rules to up-vote them.

Nevertheless, I guess none of them are supposed to find their way in any further release…

I’m just trying out eM Client after getting frustrated with Outlook, and I’m really happy with it - but indeed this rules issue is a big disadvantage, which sadly may send me back to Outlook. The last post here was two years ago… any progress?

As I said many times before…No chance to get only a bit of more convenience or enhancements from the devs. I’m waiting for more than two years now for any additions and more.

I switched back to Thunderbird three months before and all works as expected even, plugins that enhance the rules are available and I’m happy with, just to mention regular expressions and more. Moreover, I’ve unread counters throughout all root and subfolders (local and IMAP folders), big advantage over emClient.

Even if I read my messages on my mobile or any other device, like a second PC, and set the messages state back to unread, Thunderbird recognizes them (again) as unread and the rules fire appropriately. This is once again a big advantage over emClient.
I asked the devs why they can’t implement the same - no luck either. Obviously they cannot or are not willing to. TB does it, so I’m lucky.

Michael

One thing I’m pleased to discover though is that it’s not really any harder to make a rule for incoming mail than it is in Outlook, you just have to know to right click on the recipients address in the mail, rather than on the mail itself - which is a bit obscure.

That’s a crucial piece of info which should be added to the FAQ http://www.emclient.com/faq-em-client-features

And indeed a mention here would be useful: http://www.emclient.com/blog/organize-emails-as-they-come-into-your-inbox-with-rules-73

haha! I just posted a comment before reading yours - you can do that?! Thanks so much for pointing it out. I was indeed trying to right-click on the mail - saved me a lot of time and a very messy inbox (:

well as posted above - my initial grievance is much alleviated by the fact that you can right-click an address and get rule creation.
I would just add: it would be useful to be able to establish rules for emails from a certain domain, not just a specific address - or even for emails with a certain string in the address.

For a whole domain, just use @gmail.com instead of [email protected].

ah I was trying to use variables and it didn’t work (as in *@amazon.*) - thanks!

so one last question then - is it possible to filter according to keywords in the sender’s email address?

For example, amazon, or ebay and so on.

Often specific domains use a variety of subdomains according to the nature of the email.

My understanding is that it is not, that you can only filter on words in the subject or body. All sub-domains for a domain is also not possible.

I want to understand this, I am considering moving to Em, but the auto-filing of emails based on rules that I have created, like Thunderbird and Outlook is essential for me. 
It appears that rules are available, but cannot make a rule based on email addresses? Just on text of the subject or body of the email? Is this correct ? I need it based on email address so I can auto file emails that contain bills, purchase receipts, etc. 
Do I understand this correctly ?
Thank you,
Jon

Yes, you can create Rules based on email addresses. You can specify senders or recipients.

Fantastic!! Thank you for your reply.