Import from The Bat?

No, not possible. eM Client won’t change the database location. You will have needed to do that yourself.

The database folder is not something you can browse for anything useful. It is a group of folders and files that can only be read the the application. It is also a complete whole, so if you change or delete an individual item in those folders, you will more than likely break the database and will then have to delete it and start over.

No, you must have done that yourself.
The original database will have been C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client. In all instances without fail. That will remain so indefinitely unless you change it yourself. So, if it is something different, then you changed it. So now you need to discover, did you change the location in your settings? If that is so, revert to the original location and all your data will be there.

This is because after you have changed the location, then restarted eM Client, the first thing you will see is a setup window. So a new database at the new location you specified. This is what you said you observed, so that means you either manually deleted or moved the existing database when eM Client was closed, or you changed the database location in eM Client settings.

I have 3 options in The Bat:

.MSG
.EML
Unix

There’s no “mbox”.

So what is the difference between EML and .MSG export?

Regarding the database, I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling, that fixed it.

But it sure is odd that I can’t access any messages like in any other db like Wordpress or The Bat or whatever.

domingo 12 septiembre 2021 :: 0817hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @christineAZ

That’s OK as the default foe UNIX is (.mbox)
However, I don’t know if this will help with you need to keep the To & From email dates.
This was something that was critical for us and why we used a 3rd party program Aid4Mail
which also has a great number of other facilities.

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde la soleada Valencia en España!
¡Mis mejores deseos y mantente a salvo!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo principalmente español, portugués e inglés, también un conocimiento práctico de varios otros.

2 Likes

Thanks @skybat
I don’t use The Bat! so was not sure how it was labeled. :wink:

Hi ChristineAZ,

I was afraid to do what you just did so I manually created my tree in eM and exported my files to eml to folder on my desktop then imported those files to the appropriate folders. It takes time but you don’t end up a garbled mess. Sorry you ran into that problem.

Regards,
Bones

1 Like

@Bones and @Gary,

I decided to purchase the license and opened a ticket for “pro support”.

I will update with whatever happens, so far it’s not looking good. Is that the same Gary in pro support or a coincidence?

I’m asking for a video with the export / import because I really don’t have time.

I’m 63 years old and got my first Kaypro in the early 80s, running CPM and supercalc, Wordstar, etc.

I know a few things about software and I’m old enough to simply say NO to abuse. I don’t just vote with my money, I can be VERY loud on the web.

Do have to mention Elegant Themes (Divi), their support just blew me away. The almost instant chat help, so many tutorials. Nobody is perfect, but you really can’t expect more than what they have been doing. And it goes to show that it’s still possible to provide great support and stay in business

In fact, that’s what gets them business.

I’m extremely low on patience, just moved my sites away from Siteground. They were so good too, but then they changed everything and now they suck. So I didn’t renew and moved. Unfortunately, still dealing with imbeciles at the new host …

At my age, I don’t have another 60 years, need to get my stuff done! </ end rant.

Love It!!! Go Girl!

I can empathize with you 100%

Bones

lunes 13 septiembre 2021 :: 0953hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @christineAZ

I do hope I don’t cause another rant, I understand what it is like trying to deal with imbeciles, perhaps it’s an age thing - I’m about the same age as you, just a bit younger, though early retired for some while now and avoid stress, sometimes they make me work 8 or 9 hrs in a week.
I don’t know if by Kaypro you mean beauty products though more likely computer as that ties in with the early 80’s - does that put you in California?
Anyway, if you are still debating the issue of moving all your stuff from The Bat! to eMC, I will say it again, you should at least look at Aid4Mail if only to eliminate it from consideration:

It is not expensive and you can have a 2 week or 1 year license, there’s also a limited function trial.
They have a very good Help/Manual and though we never used it we believe an excellent support.with renowned Swiss efficiency.

Since I last wrote I ran Aid4Mail just to remind myself, only in Trial Mode, it has more capability now than I remember. I ran it against a folder that had 24 sub-folders with 42013 emails - it copied and converted the 24 yr old Eudora files without fault to .eml including the complete & full named folder tree structure, anyway you can run a trial for yourself to see if it helps.

I’m away to the beach now with my JetSki, but get back to me if you think I maybe can help more - I don’t have another 60 years either.

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde la soleada Valencia en España! (it’s 29°C & sunny)
¡Mis mejores deseos y mantente a salvo!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo principalmente español, portugués e inglés, también un conocimiento práctico de varios otros.

@skybat, Thanks!

“I don’t know if by Kaypro you mean beauty products though more likely computer as that ties in with the early 80’s - does that put you in California?”

I think it was the first portable computer, like a big heavy suitcase. Lincoln, NE, back then. Typed up term papers for students, resumes, transcribed books. On the side, while working in a coupon mailing place all night.

I lived in the Bay Area for many years after, and the last 20 years in the high desert, more of a hermit.

Looks like I don’t have any choice but to try Aid4Mail, paid support is same as here.

Enjoy the beach! Wish I could go to the Colorado instead of dealing with this stuff!

Big difference, they get paid and we DO NOT

1 Like

@sunriseal Absolutely. That’s why it’s so shocking that the paid support is completely useless.

In fact, got better solutions here.

It took a day to get Aid4Mail installed. Their free trial download wasn’t working, I had to open a ticket with them and they emailed me the file today.

So, I’m looking at another $40 or $50. That’s why I get only $251/month in social security. My expenses are greater than my income. Because all these corporations like eM Client lie, lie and lie again and make their money on MY back.

And here is the screenshot of my PAID support ticket.

The link Gary posted goes to another site that wants my money.

I hadn’t realized that I’m supposed to use the option “Unix Mailbox.”

So, I wasted MORE of my precious time trying this. Ended up with a 12118 kb file, which obviously does NOT contain my 400,000+ emails.

On import to eM Client, I had to create a new folder. After the import, I couldn’t even locate it.

This has to be one of the all-time WORST support I’ve ever encountered.

Most companies would at least help customers with the import because OBVIOUSLY they cannot possibly become paying customer when they can’t import.

I’ve wasted so many hours on eM Client because according to their entirely FALSE claims, they have the only email software that imports from The Bat, a blatant lie.

A little off-topic here, so my apologies for a ONE-TIME response.

Social Security has its limitations and does take some getting used to, as I know quite well. Perhaps you need to either stay with The Bat or install the free version of eM Client and adjust to their process and outcome. This would ‘solve’ your financial issue(s) and Email issues with no additional cash outlays.

Ouch! You don’t get that NOBODY pays me for the countless hours I’ve wasted because they LIED on their website and have actually not the slightest idea how to import from The Bat to eM Client.

If eM Client sends me $1,000 for my time, I’m good.

And here is the eM Client knowledgebase article on importing. Sounds like SUPER EASY!

https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/95/0/how-to-import-my-old-data

What link is that?
I don’t think I posted any links here.

@Gary that was from my paid support ticket.

You mean the link to the site that said:

STEP 1. Open The Bat Email App

STEP 2. Go to Tools Menu of your The Bat Mail App » Export Messages to » UNIX Mailbox

STEP 3. Now There will Open a New Popup Window to Save Files so Choose any location & Name the file

What are you downloading?

It is three easy steps, or did you take up their offer to do it for you, for a price? :wink: