Import from The Bat?

I’ve searched here, but the most recent post I found was from 2019.

I used the paid Eurdora for 20 years and in 2015 switched to The Bat, so I don’t move often. Unfortunately, there’s nothing I can do in The Bat to make it save my passwords and customized setting after moving to a new host, so I have no choice but to switch.

I read the older posts on importing, have about 15 email accounts and literally hundreds of thousands of mails going back to 1994. Most are in “junk” or the old Eudora folders, but I need to be able to access them occasionally.

Appreciate any help!

Any pointers?

viernes 10 septiembre 2021 :: 0857hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @christineAZ

We had a similar issue some time ago had also moved from Eudora to The Bat! then eMC and had stuff going back to 1993 (we did a clean out/archive of thousand’s of files, plus we had retained and still have Eudora & The Bat! on a spare laptop to read anything we did not import to The Bat! or Eudora
To Export:
In The Bat! go to: Tools ->Export messges to ->Message files (,EML) -> Save some convenient like desktop
CONTACTS:
In The Bat! go to: Address Book ->File ->Export to ->Business Card (.VCF)
ALSO
To Import:
You have 2 options - I remember we had an issue Importing directly, but that maybe was us
In eMC go to: Menu -.File ->Import ->This is where you have a choice:
->The Bat! OR Email (.eml)
THEN
->Contacts as (.vcf)

It is not clear if you imported your old Eudora folder into The Bat! as it is not possible to import Eudora Folder/Files directly to eMC, you will meed to use a 3rd party file converter.(we used Aid4Mail that worked fine)
Please ask if we can give you help.

¡Saludos desde la soleada Valencia en España!
¡Mis mejores deseos y mantente a salvo!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo principalmente español, portugués e inglés, también un conocimiento práctico de varios otros.

1 Like

If The Bat! is still installed on the computer, you can import directly.

Please go to Menu > File > Import > The Bat!.

1 Like

Gary, I have an extensive tree in TB and from what I was reading, there’s no way to import the Tree structure. So, I’m manually reconfiguring my tree and then I’m exporting to .eml then importing to the appropriate folder in eM. Is there a way to rearrange folders and put them in alphabetical order like you can in TB? I found the command to move folders but the only option I see is to move the folder inside another folder?

1 Like

Skybat,

As I was saying to Gary, I have an extensive tree in TB and from what I was reading, there’s no way to import the Tree structure. So, I’m manually reconfiguring my tree and then I’m exporting to .eml then importing to the appropriate folder in eM. Is there a way to rearrange folders and put them in alphabetical order like you can in TB? I found the command to move folders but the only option I see is to move the folder inside another folder?

I appreciate the help I have been receiving. As you know, it is a daunting task to transfer thousands and thousands of files after having been with TB for so long. I hope with eM I am able to move files up and down my tree like TB. From what I can see it doesn’t appear so.

Thank you,
Bones

I mean folders. Duh!

So I imported following the prompts in the direct import.

It seemed like I HAD to create a folder for the import and I made it “The Bat”.

So now I have ALL (presumably) emails in TWO folders, “Unread” and “Flagged.”

I do NOT see the folder “The Bat” that I thought is was going to import to.

Also, the RECEIVED date is the time of IMPORT – completely useless.

And I’m guessing that The Bat MEMOS are also gone.

Seems like the other people importing from TB have the same problem.

viernes 10 septiembre 2021 :: 2158hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @christineAZ

Unfortunately you have discovered why we imported Manually - because there is control
that you do not have using direct import when eMC does what it wants to do which
more often than not is not what you want.

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo principalmente español, portugués e inglés, también un conocimiento práctico de varios otros.

1 Like

Thanks! I actually had imported Eudora to The Bat, although they have some HTML strange formatting, it worked for my purposes, didn’t have to be pretty and I don’t need those old mails often.

So I don’t need the Address Book, just my messages.

So when I export to EML and then IMPORT, are all the accounts and mailboxes created automatically or do I have to set up the accounts first?

Appreciate your help!

viernes 10 septiembre 2021 :: 2203hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @Bones

Obviously I don’t know how you have eMC configured, presumably you are using Local Folders,
in which cas you can arrange folders more or less how you want, where alpha/numeric sorting
is no problem.

Skybat
[email protected]

Unread is a combined view for all unread messages regardless of what folder they are in. So the messages have to be in an actual folder somewhere.

Did you not look in the More Folder?

1 Like

@Gary There’s the The Bat folder! And the RECEIVED date is apparently correct there.

But “everything” is in this one folder, incoming, outgoing, drafts, junk – from about 12 accounts and then some junk and the old Eudora folder.

So @skybat’s method seems to be the way to go.

Skybat,

Oh, I apologize. I think I need to clarify. For this example; lets just assume I wanted to move the Folder (Bills) directly underneath my (Inbox) folder. Can eM do this like TB?

On the other note: I see now that when creating sub-folders underneath the parent folder, eM is lining the folders in Alphabetical order which is good.

Hope this helps,
Tim

@Gary, so now eM crashed and when I restarted, I was back to a NEW INSTALL. It asked me to import, create an account (I don’t even remember seeing that last night) and when I canceled the import I was back to the default screen.

Obviously, I would have had to delete and reimport all the mails anyway, but, where are those mails now?

No point to filling up my drive and I’d like to permanently delete them.

Unfortunately you can’t.

eM Client displays the folders with the system folders first, so Inbox, Sent, Trash etc. after which any folders you create on the same level displayed alphabetically.

1 Like

So to order my folders, I rename them to get the order I need?

Had you maybe created a new database in settings and not restarted immediately after that?

If so, anything you did will be in the old database. Go to Menu > Settings > General > Storage and set it back to the original location, then restart eM Client. The original would have been C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client.

1 Like

Not really. The system folders you cannot rename, and they will always appear first in a set order. Below that any folders you create on the same level will be displayed in alphabetical order.

1 Like

@Gary, I didn’t create a database, but presumably, eM did when I imported it created “2021 EM Client Email?”

I don’t think that’s a name I’d give it.

What is the “original” location?

Update: “2021 EM Client Email” is the name of my data folder, so EMC named the db after the folder.

I don’t see where the messages are though, maybe they disappeared in the crash.

You can also export from The Bat! to mbox files. SO one file per folder, which may make it easier when importing to eM Client.

1 Like