[IMAP] changed message flags are ignored

Hi,

i’m currently evaluating eM Client as new client for our department/facility.
I stumbled over some oddities regarding IMAP and message flags.

We use cyrus-imapd-2.4.17 as IMAP server.
eM Client  6.0.20320.0 can connect to the server and is working correctly and without problems.
The oddities occur when eM Client is open and i access the IMAP server using another client.
Both clients show all emails and folders and new emails show up in both clients.
If i use my other client, instead of eM Client, to read, answer or forward an email, eM Client gets informed about the changed message flags by the server (the eM Client IMAP log shows this).
Unfortunately, eM Client isn’t reacting to these changes and still displays the corresponding email as new, un-answered or un-forwarded.
Using the “Send and Receive” button changes nothing, the old state of the email is still shown in eM Client.
Only after closing and reopening eM Client the changed flags are honored and displayed correct by eM Client.
If i do it the other way round, use eM Client to read, answer or forward the email, all other client react directly on the changed message flags and display everything correct.

So i think this is a problem with eM Client ignoring the server messages about changed message flags and acting upon it.

Any help, hint or fix to solve this problem is much appreciated.

Kind regards
Joerg

Hi, what mail service are you using? Is this a private domain email?
Can you please go to Tools > Settings > Advanced and turn on IMAP logging for your account, save the settings and restart the application, and try to replicate the issue.
Also are you using the automatic synchronization cycle?

When the issue occurs go back to the Advanced settings window and click on Send logs, please send the logs to mcgregor@emclient with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul.

It’s our private domain email with an IMAP server hosted by us.
As said before, we use cyrus-imapd-2.4.17 as IMAP server software.
It doesn’t matter if automatic synchronization cycle is enabled or disabled, the problem persists for both settings.

I’ve sent you the log as requested.

Thanks
Joerg

Any news on this topic?

Kind regards
Joerg

Hi, unfortunately not yet, I’ve forwarded the received logs to the developers and I’m waiting for answer, please be patient, I will keep you posted, once I have a solution for you…

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.

Hi Joerg, can you please download this update of our application (http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.20433/setup.msi), it should contain a fix for the issue you’re having.

Let me know if it helped,
Paul.

Dear Paul,
thanks for the update, it looks very promising.
As far as i could test by now he new version is reacting properly and very fast on changed message flags.
I received several mails since i updated to the new version and as soon as i open/answer/forward a mail with another client, eM Client is reacting immediately and updates the message list and shows the correct state of the mail (seen/answered/forwarded).
That’s really impressive.

Thanks for fixing this and keep up the fast and good work.
Joerg

Glad the new version works, let me know if you encounter any more issues, with the application, thank you,
Paul.

Paul,
as you asked for more issues, please take a look at those (both related to the same problem):
https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/imap_public_folders_in_em_client
https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/shared_imap_folder_not_displaying

Would be really good to get this addressed soon.

I also have some CardDAV/CalDAV related issues, but i have to write down the details first before i can start a new topic about.

Kind regards
Joerg

Hi, please see my response here:
https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/shared_imap_folder_not_displaying

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul, I have very similar problem. We are using exchange server to synchronise our e-mails. But I realised when I flag the e-mail in eM client- it is synchronised with our exchange server but when I unflags the same e-mail it is not synchronised with the exchange server and it leaves the massage as flag on our exchange server.

It seems to me that eM client can synchronised the flags only when the flag is turn on but can not synchronised when the flag is turn off.

We are using the last version 6.0.20498.0

Any help, hint or fix to solve this problem is much appreciated.

Daniel Marko

Hi Daniel,
please download this version and update your client to this version (http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.20581/setup.msi), that should help the issue.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul

I just downloaded and installed your version 6.0.2058, but unfortunately it works even worse. When I flag the message in eM client or change from read to unread it show me the fault message " message is not draft"

I don’t know what does it mean but in previous version of eM client the synchronising with read and unread message works perfect. I had problem only with the flags synchronising. (without any fault message) ?

Can you please assist me further ?

Hi Paul

I am sending you more info about problems with the new version what you send me the link for instaling: version 6.0.20581

This new version has obvious more problem with synchronising messages with our exchange server. When you mark the message read or unread, add categorie or mark as flag or unflag it still give you the same error message " message is not draft" and it is not synchronised with the exchange server. It seems to me that this version of eM client can’t synchronised any work with the messages except of deliveries.

Hope it helps you to more understand of our problems with eM client and give us some solutions.

Daniel

Hi Daniel, by any chance are you using Kerio?
Can you please go to Tools > Settings > Advanced and turn on Exchange Web Services logging for the problematic account?

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    Also try to do a repair on your folder, right click the folder with your flagged emails and select Properties > Repair and click on the Repair button.

After you do this and if the issue persists, please go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send logs” and send the logs to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience,
Paul.

Hi Paul

I have tried what you suggest but the problem still persist so I just sent you the logs.

Please let me know

Daniel

Hi Paul

I have just downloaded the new version of eM client 6.0.20617.0 and it seems that the problem with the synchronising of messages was solved in this update. read/ unread, flags and categories all works perfect.

Daniel

Hi again Daniel, great glad it works now, let us know if you come across any other issues or questions, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul.