How to turn off automatic update check?

I don’t want the update check to happen but can’t figure out a way to turn it off. How do you do so?

And before you start typing some boring, pontificating speech about how important it is to update for “security”, you can save the keystrokes, I don’t care about your opinion, you don’t know my situation, and it’s not the question I am asking.

2 Likes

Most of the eM Client releases are just fixes anyway, so unless you are having some issue, if the installed version works for you, stick with it. 

You will find the setting in Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Notifications. Just click the black pop-up icon for Updates so it has a red x on it.

When I try to click on that it gives a pop up saying “Sorry, but this option is not available for this item”. Which is ridiculous.

Anyone? Can you turn this notice off or did the continued ruining of the user experience cause the engineers like it better that way kill emClient too?

1 Like

Have the same. It is not possible to turn off notification of new version.

Has anybody found a solution?

We plan to use eM Client on a terminal server. Therefore, the update notifications to all users, including people who are not admins, are very annoying. Is there really no way to turn off the update notifications then?

Wow - I hadn’t even noticed this. I was all set to disable updates because the version I am on seems to be OK, and the next version seems to lose a lot of data based on threads here, so I was going to disable the update. Guess not.

There are some options depending on what type of license you have, and what version of eM Client you are using.

Version 8.2 now allows you to delay the update:

But for business users, you can change the update options in your License Manager.

2 Likes

Thanks Gary for your answer. If the whole thing can be handled via the license manager, then the problem is solved.

1 Like

No. Problem is not solved for me. There are customers who have no “license manager” and they don’t want this too (for good reason - I don’t want to have this controlled by the software developer).

I’m maintaining a 100% automated windows 10 Installation (GitHub - mhgschmidt/w10install) and one of the things i’m taking care of is to make sure that there are no automatic (and potentially unwanted) updates of any application.

I like emClient and i’m recommending to use it. But their updating practice ist just not acceptable for me.

I’m solving the poblem for me with the local windows firewall:
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=“block_emclient_updates” dir=out action=block protocol=tcp localip=any remoteip=168.62.48.183 program="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\eM Client\MailClient.exe"

168.62.48.183 is the IP of “emclient.com”. Yes i know - in case they use a different server you will have to extend or change the ip (list).

best regards,
Michael H.G.

echo disabling automatic updates via W10 firewall ...
netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="block_emclient_updates" 2>nul
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="block_emclient_updates" ^
dir=out action=block protocol=tcp localip=any remoteip=168.62.48.183 ^
remoteport=80,443 program="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\eM Client\MailClient.exe"

Yes, that is one of the options NOT available to Free License users. You get a really nice email client free of charge, but are restricted with a few settings. Not a bad deal overall, @mhgschmidt?

Hi Gary,
i’m not talking about a free License. I’m a paying customer (PRO Licences, 10 Users).
I could have bought an enterprise license. I don’t want it. I want 100% control from my side.

(I have opened a ticket some time ago at your support department. The answer how to solve this was: use license manager. I was expecting some better answer.)

So - this is my answer for anybody who reads in this forum: Use the local firewall, luke.

But anyways - yes. It is a great software. I recommend anybody i know to buy it.

best regards,
Michael

Yes, this recently changed, so now only Business licenses have the option to access the License Manager.

I just checked and your Pro License is already set to Never for the update mode.

Is eM Client still offering you updates on computers activated with that license?

Hi Gary,

your Pro License is already set to Never for the update mode.
yes. i know ;-). Thx for checking.

But i’m not registering the client while installing our systems. The client will be registered as needed. On 1st start of emClient it wants to “update” because it doesn’t know of this setting. Then the user clicks on “update” and i have a newer (possibly unwanted) version of emClient on that system.

This is the problem with the update concept of emClient. I don’t want any update check regardless if the client is registered or not. Best would be to allow this setting in the “settings.xml” which can be exported and imported (i have tested some things - not working). So for me it stays now as described: connect to your servers will be denied by firewall rule. sorry.

Btw.: I have some other products from other manufacturers - they do the same or similar things. And i don’t like this. And many users are starting to think like me. IMHO the user must always be able to block things like “update checks”. And this is it: The user is your boss. Software companies have to learn this!

You guys are providing/selling a great software. Please don’t break it with things like that.

best regards,
Michael

Still in 7.x version I can’t disable auto update notification.

I replied to your ticket in VIP Support.

We disabled updates on your license in the License Manager, but if this is still an issue, please reply to your ticket.

echo disabling automatic updates via W10 firewall …
netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name=“block_emclient_updates” 2>nul
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=“block_emclient_updates” ^
dir=out action=block protocol=tcp localip=any remoteip=168.62.48.183 ^
remoteport=80,443 program="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\eM Client\MailClient.exe"

Thanks, this worked great!

We disabled updates on your license in the License Manager, but if this is still an issue, please reply to your ticket.

Why not just get rid of the toxic practice of having an auto update check feature that a user cannot disable? It creates an awful user experience.

If you have a Pro Business license, you can disable the update check in your License Manager. If you don’t have a Pro Business license, just open a support ticket with us and we will do it for you for all other Pro Licenses.

There is no option like that for Free license users. Sorry.

1 Like