How to make em client send meeting invite emails

It took me way too long to figure out how to do this. Hopefully this helps others trying to figure this out!

1. Select Menu → Settings → Calendar
    Set Invitations to “Always Ask” or “Always Send”. If this is set to “Never Send” then there is no way to send email invitations.

2. Select Menu → Accounts
    The default account has a blue star on the account icon. This is the account that meeting invites will be sent from.
    If you have more than 1 email account then you can change the default by clicking on the desired account, then clicking “set as default” on the top menu.

3. From the calendar view, select the local calendar on the left windowpane.
    em will only send invites for meetings created in the local calendar. Otherwise the calendar server should send them, but this does not work for me on my apple calendar and, based on the support topics I read, many others have problems with it.

4. Double click or right click in the calendar on the desired timeslot. The Event settings window opens.

5. Enter an email addresses in the participants field and hit return. The email address will show below the participants field.

6. Click Save and Close.

7. If you set Invitations to Always Ask, you should get a send/don’t send prompt. If you set it to always send, then they should be send automatically.

8. You can confirm whether invitations have been sent by checking in the default email account’s sent folder.

Otherwise the calendar server should send them, but this does not work for me on my apple calendar and, based on the support topics I read, many others have problems with it.

Yes unfortunately due to whatever reason “the iCloud calendar server just doesn’t seem to send meeting invites” even though eM Client passes the invite to the iCloud server. Some server related issue.

@Gary gives a good “gui example below” of what you describe using eM Client local calendar as an alternative way of sending calendar meeting invites.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/calendar-invitation-are-not-sent/45308/54

Note: I personally with my Mac just setup separate Google calendars and Microsoft calendars and then added those calendars manually into eM Client.

Thanks, Gary’s GUI example would have been helpful. I hadn’t seen it despite trying several different searches. Also good to have confirmation on Apple’s CALDAV server not sending invites.

Several people suggested em client should add an option to select whether the client or server should send invite emails. I think this is a good idea and would allow meetings to be added to other calendars. With the current setup I’ll have to add a 2nd event on my apple calendar if I want a reminder on my phone.

That is incorrect. The iCloud server does send invitations. But if it is not working for you, and you have set eM Client to Always Send or Always Ask, then you should contact your calendar provider for assistance. It may be an issue or configuration with your account, or some temporary server issue, etc.

@Gary

That is incorrect. The iCloud server does send invitations. But if it is not working for you, and you have set eM Client to Always Send or Always Ask, then you should contact your calendar provider for assistance

The iCloud might send ok for you, but when I’ve tried sending calendar meeting invites with an iCloud calendar account, the Apple iCloud calendar server never seemed to send it (even with Always send or Always ask) and Apple didn’t want to know about it on support when you ring them. They just say to use their Apple Calendar software and blame eM Client.

So after alot of mucking around with Apple on the phone, I ended up using as I said a Google Calendar and Microsoft calendars which send invites ok.

Or as @chris999 ended up doing was to send with an eM Client Local calendar which also sends invites ok.