How can I stop calendar defaulting to UTC?

Sorry, have read through the forums and unable to find an answer.

My EM Client calendar entries are defaulting to UTC. However, my MAC system settings and Google accounts are correct (Melbourne, Australia). Why doesn’t this carry over to EM Client??

I don’t wish to keep updating time zones for every entry - plus all my existing entries have UTC as the preset time zone.

Confirming I am updated to the latest version.

Thanks in advance for your help!

eM Client uses your computer’s date and time settings by default, or those you specify when creating the event if it is different. Unfortunately, if the calendar is synced with an online provider, in some instances that event data can be changed during the sync when the provider and this application are not fully compatible.

If you are syncing your calendar, who is the provider?

Is your computer set to the correct time zone?

Hi Gary,

Thanks for getting back to me. Confirming my computer is set to my local time, as is my calendar account.

All settings in all locations are set to my local. EM Client still continues using UTC so have gone back to using the native app.

I remember some time back I was testing eM Client with one server and the same issue was there. As soon as the event is synced with the server, it defaults to UTC.

Probably some incompatibility between this application and the provider. Who are you using for your online calendar?

Hi Gary, I use Google

The interesting thing is that Google was not the server I experienced the same issue with. 

I just created a new Google account, so the settings there are absolutely the defaults, and unfortunately I cannot reproduce this problem.

Is this only happening with events created in eM Client, or do you experience the same if you use another application?

Gary, think i have the same issue. However, in my case, it has to do with automated booking where I receive an ics invite calendar file. The online system confirms 9 kl, but when I open up the ics file in emclient it always shows minus 2 hours. Same principle with Zoom scheduling. Since I live in an area where it is UTC + 1 hour.
I do many automated bookings with emclient, and it is very annoying that the client always sets the time 2 hours back. I am pretty sure it has to do with the default UTC setting. How do I change the setting to UTC +1 hour.
And yes my system etc show all the correct time.

When you edit the event, as in your screenshot, the original ics data will be displayed. So that will have the time zone that is in the file as it was sent to you.

But in your calendar preview, the event will be displayed correctly adjusted for the time zone and daylight saving (if applicable) that is set in your OS time settings.

But that’s it, its not the case. I am not editing, I am just opening the ics file sent to me in order to save it in my calendar, and the ICS file always shows -2 hours.

Yes, opening it is editing it. That is the original ics details sent to you. The time zone will be whatever they have set it to.

How does it look in the calendar preview?

Hello, I have the same problem : opening ICS files converts time to UTC.
For an event set at 3 PM, it displays 1 PM UTC, although my system is set to UTC +1 (?).

BUT, writing these lines, if I save as is, the time displayed in the calendar is the good time.
So it is just a little bit disturbing to see a wrong date in the form and should be changed, IMHO.
It should be displayed 3PM UTC+1 or something like that.

eM Client is not converting anything when you edit the event or open an ics file. That is the actual time and timezone in the event. It comes either from your calendar server, or the original ics.

That is why in the calendar preview, we adjust that automatically for your local time zone, so you see all events correctly adjusted for whatever timezone you are in. And if you move to another timezone, it will adjust automatically.

The event from where the ics comes is a Google Calendar event.
It says inside the email : 3pm CET, which is the actual time I’m expecting to see.

But when I open the ICS file with EMClient, it says 1pm UTC(Coordinated Universal Time).
I didn’t mean it converts anything, but more that it displays a time that is not legible by a human without a conversion.
Have you tried it by yourself with a Google Calendar Event ?

When you open the ICS it says UTC, so that is what you will see if you edit the event. Exactly what is in the ICS.

I’m not sure to understand what you are saying…
I send you 2 images (the second one will be in the next post as I’m limited). One is in the ICS opened by EMClient (the one in this post), and the other one is inside the email (next post).

Whan I see 12:30 UTC in the ICS file, I don’t imagine it will be 2:30pm inside my calendar. I would have prefered to see 2:30pm or something coherent, exactly as it is inside the email.
Do you get my point ?

Here is the one inside the email :

That is not an ICS file. That is just some text in an email. The actual ICS says UTC, so that is what we show in the event details if you edit it. But in your calendar we do display it correctly adjusted for your selected timezone.

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying ;).

But having to guess the correct time inside in the ICS is not a good thing.
Showing the right time is better.

If you have a problem with the sender sending you an ICS in a different time zone, you will need to ask them to change that. But it may also be created like that by their server, so they have no control.

That is why we display it correctly adjusted for you in your calendar.

That is why we display it correctly adjusted for you in your calendar.

But why don’t you do it inside the ICS ?